Water Park for Perth

keadz

Unheated water temperatures lag behind air temperature. So when it's averaging 27ºC outside, you've got water that's around 22º, and that's cold water to swim in for most people.

The anomaly is the Gold Coast water parks, who manage in the colder months purely thanks to holidaymakers from the southern states and NZ who are acclimatized (or stubborn/delusional/crazy) enough to consider it good swimming weather. If the Gold Coast wasn't a major holiday destination they'd happily close the water parks for 3-4 months of the year with no complaints from locals.

Good point, Richard. Plus Adventure World's large pool and Kahuna Falls can be freezing at the best of times. The park does tend to get a lot quieter when it drops below 27 and practically empty when it gets to around 20.

On the other hand, it was 39 degrees the other weekend and this happens.. at the end of February!

post-2597-0-46505900-1426080968_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-24739500-1426081044_thumb.jp

I've been hearing news about this for the last couple of days. It looks like what is old is new again. King Neptune has been cleaned up and the Atlantis area is being redeveloped (there's some nice footage in there). However, amongst the development, some people are calling for a water park of some kind where Atlantis used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSPP48KZiu0

It looks like Outback Splash has posted a public reply to those concerned about their handling of the accident last year. This is in response to messages from some concerned citizens posted on their Facebook Page.

Dear Guests,

We encourage anyone interested in the incident that occurred in November last year to read the following information.

Contrary to social media discussion, Outback Splash is, and has been, genuinely concerned for Mason. We have attempted to be, and have been, in contact with his family following the incident. We continue to wish them well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some excellent footage of the old Atlantis shows has been posted on YouTube. It was probably shot on a VHS camera and it is quite well preserved compared to other footage I've seen. You can't miss the Buck Rogers uniforms, the tight fitting pants and the overt sexist humour of the early eighties.. oh, and some hard working dolphins, seals and sea lions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7JlOSXAU3g&feature=youtu.be

Here are photos I took yesterday of the real estate development. The fencing has improved around the lot, but there are still plenty of gaps for people who know no boundaries.

post-2597-0-43047700-1431840489_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-77137900-1431840663_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-51791300-1431840928_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-24440300-1431840975_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-79386800-1431841086_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-16842800-1431841221_thumb.jp

Went to Outback Splash this morning.  The place is looking very pretty, with its autumnal colours.  Their Hedge Maze should be ready for the July school holidays, but their expansion of the water park will probably be put on hold until they can open a new, bigger gate.  When they do expand their water park, they'll be doing a number of sections at once, including the Cobra slide and a children's water play area with a Kids' Tornado.  It seems like there's a real demand for a junior water playground after that kid got hurt and the fact that there's really no where else for them to cool off on the property.  'The Cube' is also slated to be coming soon, but there's no ground works and the lady I talked to didn't seem to have much of an idea what it's about.  It seems to resemble some kind of maze of mirrors, a bit like Infinity on the Gold Coast.  

Had trouble loading up pictures.  Photos on my blog..
http://parks115.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/making-outback-splash-at-maze.html

Edited by iwerks

• 1 month later...

Found some more plans for Outback Splash's expansion.  It looks like the King Cobra, which still appears on the current park map as coming soon, will not be in the next stage of development.

I've also worked out that it's not a road that cuts through the park, but the Dampier to Bunbury gas pipeline.  If you look at where they are developing, they're avoiding anywhere too far to the west of the current park's structures.

This expansion includes:

• 2 splash/landing pools;
  • 5 toddler slides;
  • 2 flume raft slides and 1 body slide;
  • ‘Proslide’ pipeline wave slide’
  • 2 take-off slide towers;
  • 2 pump houses;
  • A lifeguard tower;
  • Several shade structures;
  • A 100m2 water maze and ‘Water Wars’ play area; and
  • Improvements to existing and additional pathways and relocation of existing mazes and Australian animals exhibits.

http://www.bullsbrook.org.au/uploads/1/1/3/3/11339633/da286-15_plans_(3).pdf

It looks like they received permission to start building the new entrance way. The only differences at the park I noted during the week is that they have felled some trees in the emus' pen (which is close to where the new entrance way will be). 

Note: a new map of what the park is expected to look like has been posted to their website.

New map.png

Edited by iwerks

I went there this week, thought the place was very very average especially for the price.

Needs the water expansion urgently.

The staff were trying but need more training/help/leadership the whole operation felt very amateur, like i was in someones backyard.

I was disgusted to see the hedge maze already significantly vandalised - people are arseholes. 

Good point about the damage - especially the back right hand side which was pretty much off limits.  It's a kids' maze compared to Amaze'n in Margaret River, which is not really a bad thing since that's their current audience.  Yeah, the park's not really worth visiting on a regular basis just yet.  It was quite busy in the school holidays and they didn't seem to be doing a great job of handling the crowds at the gate.  The quicker they build the new entrance way the better.

I like the grounds and hope they manage to keep that atmosphere when the place is fully developed.  The list of future attractions is unbelievable, but I think Adventure World is taking the high ground with regards to the quality of their current attractions. 

It's funny how they handle their 10 year plans.  Adventure World surprises us with a new attraction on a regular basis, whilst Outback Splash says they're going to do something and instead does something else.  This is what their next lot of slides should look like (they seem to have put the King Cobra on the back burner):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2Vj20qvmY     

• 4 months later...