Village Roadshow still very interested in Melbourne themepark

WalleyWorld

I heard it on the radio this morning and got a bit excited! I then found this article:

Theme park being readied for takeoff at Avalon

THEME Park operators and investors are to be courted by Geelong leaders about building an attraction in the Avalon Airport precinct.

The City of Greater Geelong has held discussions with Village Roadshow and Avalon operator Linfox about a theme park on Avalon's 1750ha estate. US film connections are being sounded out about the possibility of a Movie World-style experience. Geelong councillor Kylie Fisher said the potential investment was gaining traction, with Avalon confirming its interest. "This could generate jobs, generate happiness and a bit of excitement for Geelong," Cr Fisher said. She has been interested in attracting a theme park for years, initially looking for suitable land between Geelong and Colac.

She said Avalon chief executive Justin Giddings had suggested land at the airport, which is committed to introducing international flights. Geelong Mayor Keith Fagg said there was no specific project but labelled the theme park concept as "a very attractive prospect". "Avalon and the city (council) would be very happy to embrace a proposal that might come, or go out and seek one," Cr Fagg said. Cr Fisher said Village Roadshow Theme Parks - which operates five attractions on the Gold Coast - were a potential investor. The group has previously been interested in the region, devising plans for a park called African Safari World on the Werribee Zoo site, which failed to gain State Government support. She said the proposal would be further developed when Mr Giddings returned from overseas.

Avalon is finalising its master plan and land use plan, looking ahead to 2033. The vision includes expanded and new terminal areas, a rail link, two new runways, a recreation zone and a 22ha retail precinct. The council will lobby for the shops to be restricted to "big box"-style retailing, such as furniture, sporting and camping goods. It also opposes Avalon's plan to issue planning permits, saying that would remove council input and leave no avenue of appeal at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/07/25/369931_news.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a lot of specifics were given, but it's very interesting to see that Village Roadshow haven't given up on Melbourne as a potential themepark location. Comment away...

Edited by Luke

Well any news is good news. You've got to remember these are only preliminary talks, by the times agreements are made, plans are made, submitted, construction breaks ground to opening, it will be well over 5 years. I agree no movie parks, we're a tiny country, don't give us the same, give us something different! It's interesting I find the article says talks were held with VRTP but we don't know how they went, no word from VRTP and no word from the others on how the meeting went, positive/negative.

I don't read that much into it - I don't see anywhere where it says that 'talks were held'

What I get from that is:

• [*]the mayor thinks a theme park is an attractive prospect [*]there is no project in the works at this stage [*]they'd be happy to receive a proposal from a potential investor - or go out and seek one [*]the mayor thinks VRTP would be a potential investor, having operated several similar attractions elsewhere, and that they were previously interested in werribee.

Nowhere in there can I see that VRTP have 'had talks' - this is just a local government politician saying 'we'd like a theme park, and since those guys wanted to build something nearby that didn't work out, they'd probably want to get in on this too'

African Safari World is still on the cards and this is mostly the Geelong council fishing for VRTP to continue negotiations, or even redesign the Park in a different location. Or to continue the good idea of "a park on the Princes Freeway". Personally I think an artic themed Sea World would be a good idea, maybe not in Melbourne though. Third time lucky? Perhaps another company might also become interested. Legoland?

Edited by colliric_855

Realistically Legoland would be highest probable international park to invest in Australia at this point. The Melbourne/Geelong area would be an ideal site for it to be situated. Good population, close to major infrastructure, competition 2 states away, and also the concept is totally unique from anything we currently have in Australia. I think that this concept is a winner and it's only a matter of time before something along these lines becomes a reality in Victoria!

Theme park being readied for takeoff at Avalon

THEME Park operators and investors are to be courted by Geelong leaders about building an attraction in the Avalon Airport precinct.

The City of Greater Geelong has held discussions with Village Roadshow and Avalon operator Linfox about a theme park on Avalon's 1750ha estate.

According to the opening line of this article yes there have talks held with VRTP. I too think Merlin and their Lego brand is a up there as a probable idea of a new park in Australia, at the same time VRTP have shown parks are their main business. They probably understand Lego could make an appearance in the future, get a park in Victoria, Merlin would then have competition in all three eastern states if they were to make an appearance. VRTP would then have a monopoly of visitors in the eastern states. However, I think first their focused on getting WnWS off the ground, maybe even their international expeditions first. Personally I want to be greedy and really want to see a fully fledged park join alongside WnWS so I then have a waterpark and theme park not to far away ;)

Edited by Original

Of cause the "Village" brand is Huge in Victoria(it's "spiritual home"), so who knows....a Village Movie Park??? They do have several major film properties of their own you know. The Matrix is one. Mad Max(Lol, originally filmed in Avalon-Lara!). Lego(yep... They're making "Lego: The Movie"). Given that they're making thre film, is it possible that VRTP might actually take the idea to Lego and license the brandname "Legoland"?

Edited by colliric_855

Flashback to 2005: "AVALON airport is being considered as a site for a the first Disney World in Australia. US Disney executives inspected Avalon last month as part of a tour of possible Australian sites. Sources said the group, which was entertained by airport owner Linfox, was impressed with the location and the presence of cut-price airline Jetstar." http://semaphorejunction.blogspot.com.au/2005_09_01_archive.html

I'd say Legoland would probably be the most feasible option, not to mention Merlin are trying to take over the entire east coast of Australia.

Very true. They recently acquired Melbourne Aquarium, and are slowly turning it into one of their 'Sea Life' Aquariums. Pretty much what they did to Sydney Aquarium.

I find it interesting that while these properties were once owned by VRTP, Merlin still have them on VRTP's MyFun website. Always made me wonder if they could maybe team up and go 50/50 in a park, but I doubt it.

Of cause the "Village" brand is Huge in Victoria(it's "spiritual home"), so who knows....a Village Movie Park??? They do have several major film properties of their own you know. The Matrix is one. Mad Max(Lol, originally filmed in Avalon-Lara!). Lego(yep... They're making "Lego: The Movie"). Given that they're making thre film, is it possible that VRTP might actually take the idea to Lego and license the brandname "Legoland"?

Please, again if we get another park, give me a different theme, not another movie park, there's so many different ways a park could go without having to be attached to movie franchises. If it it is a movie park, I really don't want to see themes that are now years old i.e. The Matrix. Most people have forgotten about it, or younger people won't even remember it. How can you maximise profits on that?

Considering Merlin have a strong presence here and they own the theme park franchise for the Lego brand, I doubt it.

Does it say part of Village Roadshow or Villahr Roadshow Theme Parks? Because the two are different.

MyFun is owned by Village Roadshow Limited, one of the leading international entertainment and media company. The team at MyFun are based across our Sydney and Melbourne offices and working closely with our Theme Parks on the Gold Coast.