Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

who owns the picnic area around the back, because if Luna was to buy it instead of a coaster the park would have a lot more room for expansion.

Very true...

Also, are there any unused ditches in LPS which could be useful for a "head-chopper" drop or something? It would be amazing if they could build a Winja's type ride that uses both Coney Island and Maloney's corner. That would allow a significantly longer ride :)

Mr Me, the picnic area is not all that big.

And also a Eurofighter would be a great for for LPS but it isn't going to most likely occur.

There's that gap in between the apartments and Coney Island, so the new coaster could connect to the Tumble Bug area.....

But that isn't going to happen.

The best option would be an El Loco or another compact coaster less than 150 ft. A Eurofighter ticks all the boxes. An El Loco would be a great idea. An even better idea would be a ZacSpin or a Volare(that was sarcastic).

It would be stupid to name a ZacSpin "The Big Dipper" as that really only applies to a sit down coaster.

Also a GIB would be too big of an eyesore considering it needs to be shorter than the Hair Raiser, their drop tower.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Mr Me, the picnic area is not all that big.

And also a Eurofighter would be a great for for LPS but it isn't going to most likely occur.

There's that gap in between the apartments and Coney Island, so the new coaster could connect to the Tumble Bug area.....

But that isn't going to happen.

The best option would be an El Loco or another compact coaster less than 150 ft. A Eurofighter ticks all the boxes. An El Loco would be a great idea. An even better idea would be a ZacSpin or a Volare(that was sarcastic).

It would be stupid to name a ZacSpin "The Big Dipper" as that really only applies to a sit down coaster.

Also a GIB would be too big of an eyesore considering it needs to be shorter than the Hair Raiser, their drop tower.

What does GIB stand for (sorry it's late :D)

An El Loco would perfectly fit the profile for "The Big Dipper".

I think it would be great if they did this:

1. Moved Spider to Tango Train

2. Shut Tumble Bug

3. Built Superman Clone where Flying Saucer used to be with Soundproofing hopefully taking in some of the cliff area so that the attraction could be seen from the entrance, the foreshore around the bridge, and for people walking down from Milsons Point station as an "entry ride". A slightly smaller clone version could also be good.

4. Move Ranger and Power Surge to Tumble Bug area.

5. Make better use of Crystal Palace.

6. Build a Maurer-Sohne coaster using parts of Coney Island if possible for viewing, extra length, and just a bit of fun + Maloney's Corner + Picnic area.

If they did that, Luna Park would become EXTREMELY popular and they really wouldn't have lost any rides. I liked the Tumble Bug and Flying Saucer, but I would prefer 2 coasters + Power Surge :D And also that allows many of the HUSS rides like Ranger to still be replaced :)

Here is a photo

I remember a ride like that at the Easter Show. Actually super fun, much more than it looks :)

I heard that GLFF's cars were weighted differently to other Zacspins' cars to change the amount of maintenance it requires, making the ride more jolting. A Zacspin could work nicely out the front of Movieworld, opposite to GL. Maybe a Harry Potter themed Zacspin?

EDIT: Here's a picture to show you what I mean. Sorry for the bad quality.

That would explain why everyone loves Insane at Grona Lund...

And to note KingdaKa that all the HUSS rides and the Tango are being retired by 2018. So it would be useless to move the Spider around.

And Yoshi you need to note that this is simply your idle speculation- none of this has been confirmed by the park on what rides are being replaced ( if they are at all) nor on the actual time frame. All we have is a reference point that the park is looking to upgrade its ride offering within a 5 year plan. No actual dates have been mentioned. There has been reference to some rides getting older and needing to be retired but no actual ride has been named. Now it can be argued that the HUSS rides are the obvious choice and I would agree with that , but until we have an official press release from the park or something similar, then please do not pass speculation and musings as absolute truth. That would be wrong , at this point in time.

Edited by Jobe

^sounds like The Claw

No, quite different. Exactly the same as Pandamonium, but replace it with clones of the Surfrider seats. Name it Stingray or something. Adds to capacity (36 per ride) plus makes it more thrilling with rotating seats, and the ability to feel like you'll fall out. I also hope they get rid of the two cycles and instead replace it with two slightly more moderated on the same ride. I was thinking that two of the arms could be more extreme than the other two. Minimum flips could be 3-7 and maximum 9-17. And anyway, with 3-7 flips I still think it is way more thrilling and exciting than Pandamonium because even if it doesn't make you as naueseous, it is particularly thrilling to feel like you'll fall out and in addition not know where you're going! I think the "tame cycle" at Dreamworld would be thrilling with rotating flawless seats. And they could put near misses and make it even better. The best thing about Surfrider is the seats, so I hope they replicate that. That would go where UFO is now. I think that that attraction could be introduced at the same time as hopefully a new coaster at the end of 2015/early 2016. I hope that the coaster (which would trigger the removal of Tumble Bug) will be the world's steepest rollercoaster (S&S El Loco). If not the S&S equivalent of a Zacspin which will be opening next year looks epic.

Edited by KingdaKa

So a surfrider style seating arrangement (sitting in a circle, facing outwards) that spins, attached to a pandamonium air race style swinging arm... sounds like a mini claw.

Of course with the air race, there are many swinging arms, so there are many mini claws, that all rotate around the hub as well.

So not "exactly" the same as pandamonium.

In case you weren't already ready to puke...

So a surfrider style seating arrangement (sitting in a circle, facing outwards) that spins, attached to a pandamonium air race style swinging arm... sounds like a mini claw.

Of course with the air race, there are many swinging arms, so there are many mini claws, that all rotate around the hub as well.

So not "exactly" the same as pandamonium.

In case you weren't already ready to puke...

That's why the ride cycles would be more tame. It offers more thrills and less vomit. Pandamonium is just a vomit machine IMO, not thrilling at all...

I now understand what you are saying and yes that is right, mini-Claw :)

I would actually like an 8.4 air race so that it could be an octopus. Light Blue could be tamer cycle and dark blue could be intense cycle. A combination of the different intensity and different colours could make it look like a real octopus! I think it would be super popular and would have massive capacity anyway.

Why would you puke when the cycles would be more tame... Pandamonium is more sickening IMO when it does like 50 loops... This provides thrills plus a minimum of 3-7 loops and a maximum of 9-17. With the new seating I would have a lot of 90 Degree banking so you could be face down or face up. I also think it would be cool having the two circuits at once thing with the Octopus and colours :)

And remember it is only 6 seats per cart. So 48 capacity, a lot bigger than Pandamonium which will still not take up all the UFO space I don't think :) Great ride :D

There are 21 Inversions on the hard cycle of the current Pandamonoum. If you slow down the individual loops and have less of them it will allow the slow seat turning to be more thrilling like on Surfrider. And I already said that the hard cycle on my one would have less (I said 9-17 which I hope would be random and changing rather than a set pattern like on Pandamonium). Also, because this ride provides enough thrills the soft style would have many less (3-7) but some inversions because as well see at DreamWorld the soft style is extremely unpopular. And the soft style on my version IMO is not at all sickening. Less sickening than Ranger and UFO at least...

The challenge with a ride like you described is where the seats swing from. On Pandamonium your back is facing the "pendulum arm", and the cross bar, so when you reach the 270 degree mark the two parts pass each other with no risk to riders since there is no way for riders to stick a leg or arm behind themselves.

In the link below observe the car in the position described (The one nearest to the spiraling dragon in the ride centerpiece)

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/6669-Pandamonium/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-1528/offset/14

Now, imagine you had the surfrider type circles of seats. These seats take up clearance on both sides of the pendulum arm, and have additional clearance requirements due to riders being able to stick arms and legs out. The net result is that the pendulum arm would have to be on an pivot that would stick out very far and be under immense stress

I'll let the picture do the talking:

post-88-0-03243900-1412249173_thumb.jpg

Have a look at this pic. The purple ring approximates the limit of where the tallest rider could stick their legs out in front of them:

post-88-0-04451500-1412251412_thumb.jpg

Imagine that the swinging pendulum arm would have to be on an axle of a length equal half the diameter of that circle which is definitely quite a bit more than just a meter.

That axle has to be sticking out, and be taking a heavier 6 person circle of seats, the ring bearing and extra drive motor (to make the circle of seats spin)...That's a helluva lot of bending stress on that axle. Of course, you can then go and beef it all up, but then the 8 cross arms from the central hub of the ride would need beefing up too (and they are pretty hefty as it is).

All this extra weight then implies the central hub drive motors, and the motors which swing each pendulum arm would need to be a couple of sizes bigger.

In the end it's a shitload of extra expense and engineering costs (A manufacturer would have to recaculate/redesign from scratch due to the sheer number of changes needed compared to the original air race ride).