Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

• 2 weeks later...

Was just googling for an update on the Hair Raiser predicament and came across this site that the residents have created. Not sure it's supposed to be publicly accessible, but it is! Very interesting reading and very ironic name. You can even read some of the resident objections to the DEvelopments Application.

save-our-fun-park.org

What a bunch of tossers! They're even complaining about the new lighting suite!!!

The height limit concerns are valid ones. I'd not researched the specific requirements, and the midway height limit is something that may put a spanner in the works - a relaxation is going to be required if in fact the residents are correct in their assessment that the ride in fact does reside IN the midway.

Overall, I can't see their complaints having much force as far as 'blocking the view' given the size of the tower, and that it is not solid. A radio antennae would have similar appearance and generally not require approval up to certain (aircraft) heights.

The light suite isn't a trivial issue however - It has merit. By the sounds of things they have installed a smart-led lighting suite (most likely RGB) which of course looks fantastic, and is very modern. The issue the residents raise over it not fitting with the heritage nature of the park (everything else is static white lighting) is quite valid, and further - the 'pulsating and strobing' effects don't fit with the park either.

It's also of concern that one submission raises the issue that the lighting suite was left on and running for up to 8 hours after the park had closed. They seem to suggest the park operators did this on purpose to annoy the residents (i'm thinking it was more of a case of the operator forgetting to shut it down when required).

I still stand by my assertion that it is extremely unlikely they will need to remove the attraction, however the light suite is a "quick win" that they may be forced to alter or remove - sort of "meet them halfway" to appease the residents. One submission suggests the ride (if allowed to remain) should only display lighting that is necessary to the safe operation of the ride - and this is a very reasonable request... especially if allowed to remain outside the existing building envelope (if in fact it is within it)

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say AUSTHEMEPARKS...

Are you suggesting that LPS is somehow deficient because they didn't install a permanent ride this year?

Apart from having installed the Hair Raiser last year, and plans for further attractions already in the pipeline (that we know of) - I'm not seeing a deficiency, given LPM has opened a permanent attraction this season, their last install was in 2010 according to my information (which could be wrong) - so thats a space of 4 years between new permanent rides for a park that is 102 years old (almost continuously operating).

Given the issues with LPS - residents, restrictions, court cases, infrastructure development... and the fact that it has had several closedowns that have hampered both it's popularity and it's infrastructure... the fact that they've just installed one ride and are already planning their next one - i don't think there is any deficiency... so i'm curious what you're saying???

What permanent ride has gone into LPM recently apart from a trailer model Power Surge?

I imagine most would agree that Hair Raiser is a far superior addition than Power Surge

Plus AlexB, I think LPS benefits from having more recent & expansive refurbishments resulting in better facilities than LPM. Granted the state of some of each of the park's rides is quite tragic - I think LPS is in a far better state overall.

Went last Friday night. The decal for the new ride was almost complete, minus the planes. So the general image is WWI type fighter planes (judging by outline) in front of a cityscape. Nothing vertical as of yet, but there was a steel beam that i couldn't quite tell if it was support or a ladder. But it was between half way and the far left of the area. Nothing else was really present, and i didn't really think to ask anyone despite everyone being a backpacker anyway.

This is one is meant to stay permanent though.

I can tell you right now it's not a permanent addition to Luna Park Melbourne, it will be there for the christmas holidays (potentially through until around easter at the latest) before travelling again before the Sydney Easter Show. I know the owners of the attraction and there is no way in hell they would spend over 1 million dollars on a brand new ride only to sell it to a theme park less than a year later.