Luna Park Sydney - the future with Wet'n'Wild

JulieLovis

Long time viewer but have never posted before…! Long time Sydney based theme park fanatic though (and looking forward to WnW opening soon in my backyard!)

I have a LPS annual pass and visit LPS regularly with my nieces. Every time we go the place is packed and I wonder whether this will still be the case once WnW opens in Sydney. Does anyone know if LPS are planning anything new & permanent to counter the opening of Wet and Wild? In recent years I’ve noticed they have improved the atmosphere of LPS with a lot of new entertainment & characters (this is what my nieces look forward to the most, more than the rides actually) & also spruced up the place with new paint & artworks but NO new permanent rides!!! If you were in charge of things at LPS and had say $15 mil to spend on updating the rides/park what would you do? What are your thoughts on what the future holds for LPS with WnW in Sydney?

Hi JulieLovis, welcome to the boards!! Don't stay in the shadows we would love to hear your contributions on a regular basis!!

Being a self confessed lover of both of Australia's Luna Park's I would have to say that I disagree with Colliric (but hey, who doesn't?). The time is now ripe for some reinvestment back into the park in the way of permanent attractions. Next year is the 10th anniversary of its re-opening and in this decade we have seen the park show stability and sustainability. However, it desperately needs at least 2 new rides added to its attraction line-up. Top of my list would of course be a new coaster. As has been stated by myself and others many times on these boards, there are plenty of options for small coasters that could fit their footprint in the park. My personal preference would be a Maurer Sohne spinner. Secondly, I also think that a return to its roots- either a River Caves style attraction or a Ghost train attraction would be ideal. The latter is probably a little controversial but I feel that enough time has passed for this type of attraction to make its way back to the park. Also LPS need to make the most of their available space- what they have IS limited but in places it is severely underutilised and with a little planning, more attractions could be introduced. Case in point would be Maloney's Corner, the space next to the Tumblebug, the space next to the Ice Cream shop and the clear space on top of the car park roof. All these could be used as viable space for future permanent attractions.

For the you and anyone who is interested here is a very recent Youtube link to a video from the park during 1983. This is a great find and shows the park only a year after re-opening in the wake of the Ghost train tragedy and closure. It shows good vision of the Pirate, the Super Loops, the Octopus (which is now at Aussie World), the WaveSwinger( which is now found on the travelling circuit), a Huss Enterprise, the SuperJet mini coaster( which is also travelling to this day- I remember riding this when I was 6!!) and in the background a Rock 'N Roll. Enjoy!!

Cheers!!

Edited by Jobe

The post appeared to suggest LPS was to lose business to W'nW... Hence my response. There's no reason to "counter" the opening of Wet 'n Wild. LPS will not lose business to that entirely different type of park. Investment IS needed, but it's not for that specific reason. You may not agree with me.... BUT I AGREE WITH YOU!!! Yes additions are needed at both Luna Parks, but no, not because they "Need to directly compete with an entirely different park that's quite far away". Fact is the majority of regular Luna Park patrons live in the local area in Melbourne. And the local business just isn't going to be affected much by a bigger park opening up in an entirely different part of the city. Pretty sure it would be the same for Sydney. If another bigger Park opened in Melbourne, it wouldn't affect operations at LPM at all. Heck a direct rival kids amusement park, "Wonderland", opened up at Docklands, didn't affect LPM's business at all. Don't think a larger park would either. Except if it was Disney or a Legoland or some other HUGE brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Great video, thanks Jobe. I remember that Luna Park from when I was a kid...

I was at Luna Park on the weekend again with my sister's girls and agree that there is plenty of room for a couple of new rides. The amazing thing about LPS is that despite all of it's old rides it still has a great vibe and is always very busy. On Sunday it was absolutely packed out. The staff & upkeep of LPS has really improved in recent years and I think that's what has kept it so popular, even though it is old it doesn't feel run down, as the surrounds are decorated with the old time artworks and the people who work there are always chirpy & happy.

One of the ride operators did tell me they are about to add a permanent new kids ride before the next school holidays and apparently the Hollywood Horror maze is coming to the park for holidays and Halloween along with what sounds like a Movieworld style halloween party... Let's hope its a sign of things to come for LPS

The post appeared to suggest LPS was to lose business to W'nW... Hence my response. There's no reason to "counter" the opening of Wet 'n Wild. LPS will not lose business to that entirely different type of park. Investment IS needed, but it's not for that specific reason. You may not agree with me.... BUT I AGREE WITH YOU!!! Yes additions are needed at both Luna Parks, but no, not because they "Need to directly compete with an entirely different park that's quite far away". Fact is the majority of regular Luna Park patrons live in the local area in Melbourne. And the local business just isn't going to be affected much by a bigger park opening up in an entirely different part of the city. Pretty sure it would be the same for Sydney. If another bigger Park opened in Melbourne, it wouldn't affect operations at LPM at all. Heck a direct rival kids amusement park, "Wonderland", opened up at Docklands, didn't affect LPM's business at all. Don't think a larger park would either. Except if it was Disney or a Legoland or some other HUGE brand.

I am surprised someone has not called you out in these ridiculous assertions before this. Wet n Wild Sydney will pose a serious threat to LPS upon opening. Just because they are different styles of parks doesn't mean they are not competing for the same tourist dollar or the same marketing or family groups? Sydneysiders now have an alternative for thrills from what is offered at LPS to Wet and Wild. If you think that the operators of LPS aren't a little concerned at how Wet and Wild will affect their operation then you dont know a lot about business. I predict that this will finally be the impetus for LPS to see some new investment and direction in the park, as is indicated by JulieLovis post. Also ,if you think that a new park opening near Melbourne wouldn't affect LPM then you are clearly more deluded than even i gave you credit for. LPM would go from having a captured market to finally having some real competition. This is exactly the situation LPS finds itself in at this present moment. The conundrum of this argument is that Space Probe 7 was introduced to Wonderland in 1995 to partially combat the re-opening of LPS that same year. If a park as big as Wonderland felt it needed to take measures against a smaller operating park like LPS then surely the obverse reaction for a smaller park against the much larger Wet and Wild would be considered? The same logic could be applied to LPM in any similar hypothetical .

The fact is, the park most likely to be affected by the opening of a new Theme Park is Adventure Park in Geelong. If you think a park opening in Avalon is going to affect a heritage protected Linfox owned inner city, park, I think you are dreaming. Most likely any new Melbourne park is going to be on Linfox land(at Avalon Airport) at the moment, and they OWN LPM also. LPM would most likely BENEFIT from a new park, Business wise. That's like if Wonderland had of been on land owned by the company that also owns LPS. I fail to see how that doesn't give leverage.

Edited by colliric_855

WNW is not owned by LPS, and so therefore I would say that LPS will be negatively impacted as families choose to visit WNW for their summer school holiday theme park visit instead of LPS.

I would say the management of LPS would have this in mind, and they would not be willing to take the risk that it *might* not impact them.

That said I agree with Jobe, I think this could be the time we see a change in approach for LPS

WNW is not owned by LPS, and so therefore I would say that LPS will be negatively impacted as families choose to visit WNW for their summer school holiday theme park visit instead of LPS. I would say the management of LPS would have this in mind, and they would not be willing to take the risk that it *might* not impact them. That said I agree with Jobe, I think this could be the time we see a change in approach for LPS

I was using it as a hypothetical to explain to Sydneysiders the most likely situation that will occur in Melbourne given the Avalon proposal is the only one with any steam at the moment. Linfox owns LPM and also the land where a new Theme Park is still being proposed. It is a very different situation. Adventure Park may suffer though. Edited by colliric_855

Just because it's heritage listed, and owned by the same person, it doesn't mean diddly. LPS had heritage listed buildings - didn't stop it from closing down repeatedly

Well you don't have Barry Humphries and Geoffrey Rush! LOL! http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/barry-humphries-witty-plea-not-to-ruin-flinders-st-station/story-fni0fit3-1226699035073 Edited by colliric_855

I'm sure they'll both survive just fine - the majority of western sydney visitors wouldn't usually trek in for a day at luna park as often. I'm pretty sure the youth of western sydney is their target 'anchor' market.

The only impact I see WnWS having is a reduction in Sydney-based visitors to Jamberoo. It's them i'd be watching closely for a response, not LPS.

I'm sure they'll both survive just fine - the majority of western sydney visitors wouldn't usually trek in for a day at luna park as often. I'm pretty sure the youth of western sydney is their target 'anchor' market.

The only impact I see WnWS having is a reduction in Sydney-based visitors to Jamberoo. It's them i'd be watching closely for a response, not LPS.

And Adventure Park in Melbourne...

You have got to be joking... what on earth does adventure park in melbourne have to do with the price of fish in thailand? I was talking about WnWS, and it's impacts to the parks around it. Please don't tell me you think WnWS will have an impact on Adventure park...

No, I mean't "if a similar situation occurs in Melbourne". Should have said "And Adventure World if a similar situation occurs in Melbourne".

At the risk of flogging the proverbial dead horse - the entire thread is about LPS...ydney... and the future with WnW.

At the present moment - I don't know many people who really could give a shit about whats happening in melbourne... it's far less important than you make it out to be.

I'm sure they'll both survive just fine - the majority of western sydney visitors wouldn't usually trek in for a day at luna park as often. I'm pretty sure the youth of western sydney is their target 'anchor' market. The only impact I see WnWS having is a reduction in Sydney-based visitors to Jamberoo. It's them i'd be watching closely for a response, not LPS.

I also agree that both parks will survive however i can guarantee that LPS management will be looking closely at their bottom line results in the first 6 months of WNW Sydney's opening. It's a simple business maxim-LPS will go from having a captured market for thrills in the greater Sydney area to having a major competitor. They may decide that they need to up the ante in order to compete with the new boy on the block. What that response will be remains to be seen, however. As for Jamberoo's response I was under the impression that this was already enacted. The Funnel Web and the water play area was Stage one of a wider expansion-surely the timeframes for the remaining stages will be accelerated or given priority now that everyone is aware of the full scope of WNW Sydney's plans for their new park? Does anybody know these timeframes ?

I'm not suggesting Jamberoo aren't prepared, and aren't trying to compete with the new kid on the block, but it's not hard to work out that People would rather drive down the M4M7 for 20-30 minutes to reach a world class waterpark that is easily accessible, than to drive the hour+ it takes to reach jamberoo for much the same thing.

Gazza actually made a nice comment on facebook the other day in response to someone wanting the 'new wonderland' to be built on the central coast... you build in a blob of population - with people all around it (like WnWS). When faced with the choices of WnW vs. Jamberoo - most sydneysiders will pick WNW - which is why my statement was that i see WnWS impacting on Jamberoo's sydney based visitors.

I think those three attractions play off each other well - if you're holidaying (especially with kids) on the sunshine coast, all three attractions are worth the visit.

Yes if you're only up there for a weekend one (or both) are going to miss out, but I think the attractions are 'different' enough to not effect each other that much - AW is your rides, AZ are for animals (wildlife park), and UW is your marine-life. If they were on the gold coast, you'd have Dreamworld, AWE Paradise Country, and Sea World (ok on a lesser scale - but it is the sunny coast after all). The gold coast versions work in harmony and all of them survive - so i don't think AW will be hurting the others too much.

Long time viewer but have never posted before! Long time Sydney based theme park fanatic though (and looking forward to WnW opening soon in my backyard!) I have a LPS annual pass and visit LPS regularly with my nieces. Every time we go the place is packed and I wonder whether this will still be the case once WnW opens in Sydney. Does anyone know if LPS are planning anything new & permanent to counter the opening of Wet and Wild? In recent years Ive noticed they have improved the atmosphere of LPS with a lot of new entertainment & characters (this is what my nieces look forward to the most, more than the rides actually) & also spruced up the place with new paint & artworks but NO new permanent rides!!! If you were in charge of things at LPS and had say $15 mil to spend on updating the rides/park what would you do? What are your thoughts on what the future holds for LPS with WnW in Sydney?

I agree LPS needs new rides. I sent LPS an email with a link of a website that sells used or second hand rides. That answerd back saying they would take it into concideration but I highly doubt it. Either way LPS as till a fun place to visit. I do hope LPS brings in some new rides :-) Edited by zacsta_1997

• 2 months later...

I was at LPS tonight with my nieces. There is a large area in the centre of the park near the Big Top that is walled off with signage all over it saying that something new is coming. When you look through the cracks you can see several large holes and about 5 or 6 construction machines (sorry don't know what they're called!). Some of the staff members told us that there is a major new ride opening there at the end of this year, but they wouldn't tell us what!. Couldn't get any pics as I didn't have my phone on me...