Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

Yep, went again today.

All the setting up for Fright Nights was happening, looks like they will be good but i couldn't stay.

Place was pretty empty again, Kraken was a walk-on, literally nobody up there. Went on only twice though because.....

One grizzle... the new red surface on the hill, whilst smoother, is horrible. It is so hot. All of us left today with burnt sore feet. Our feet are still sore now.  Today wasn't overly hot either, i hate to think how hot that hill surface is going to be come summertime and we only walked up 3 times (twice kraken, once wahoo)

Chicken Caesar Salad and Schnitzel Baguette... Good !

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think they will ever allow that, but something will need to be done, as i said it wasn't that hot today but the surface was and our feet are still burning.

I'm not sure what a viable solution would be though..?

lighter colour paint?  shade cover over entire walkway? different surface? all pretty costly solutions i would imagine though unfortunately.

Are you allowed to wear water shoes like these on the slides maybe?

water-shoes-17.jpg

I had my doubts about the new resurfacing, but on Mark's reports, it was better than what was there previously. Realistically the only surface that won't be hot in full sun is what WnW have around the wave pool - astro-turf\green carpet.  

Concrete is a stone based material. 

restaurants use stone to cook meat...

Screenshot_2015-06-13-18-07-143.jpg

so any type of conrete path isn't going to be pleasant.

Yep, went again today.

All the setting up for Fright Nights was happening, looks like they will be good but i couldn't stay.

Place was pretty empty again, Kraken was a walk-on, literally nobody up there. Went on only twice though because.....

One grizzle... the new red surface on the hill, whilst smoother, is horrible. It is so hot. All of us left today with burnt sore feet. Our feet are still sore now.  Today wasn't overly hot either, i hate to think how hot that hill surface is going to be come summertime and we only walked up 3 times (twice kraken, once wahoo)

Chicken Caesar Salad and Schnitzel Baguette... Good !

I suppose it would have been nicer if the pavement had a softer surface. Steep hill too - that gradient up the top will slow people down.

Chicken Caesar Salad - how was it? As good as Mark says?

It's good to see AW clarifying the situation with Fright Nights and season passes.

Yeah the Caesar was top quality !

The new surface i guess in one regards is an improvement in that it is smoother than the old black road that would tear your feet up BUT the old surface also had a smooth painted white line down it that was much cooler than what i experienced today.

So the red hot heat absorbing path to me is an overall failure and yeah its steep and long so it's not exactly a quick journey over hot coals

Re the hot hill, I'm aware the AW service vehicles use the hill so it's going to have to be roadworthy.  How about a 40cm strip on the right side made from something like a rubber running track material.  Maybe in cream or sky blue.  The golf buggies could use the bigger left side and us barefooted could use the pedestrian bit.  

Thought it might still be an issue, even the white line used to get very hot in middle of summer.

I think the only option really is providing shade over the path - we used to always go up the stares from the back of the grassed area that come out in front of the roller coaster to avoid most of the road. Or take the chair lift up.

What do the parks over east use? I don't recall having a burning feet issue at either wet n wild or white water world?

Didnt notice the stairs, didnt even think of them but i guess they would be closed as freefall is still dismantled and fenced off.

Those stairs aren't really a solution anyway, definitely not for kraken.

They get you half way there in the shade :) If i recall correctly there's grass on the corner of the little offroad to freefall and then if you hug the limestone wall there used to be about half a metre of shaded path which was cooler.

Re the hot hill, I'm aware the AW service vehicles use the hill so it's going to have to be roadworthy.  How about a 40cm strip on the right side made from something like a rubber running track material.  Maybe in cream or sky blue.  The golf buggies could use the bigger left side and us barefooted could use the pedestrian bit.  

Rubber probably isn't a good idea for people who have just gotten out of a water ride. Rubber tends not to grip so well when wet.

If the reason for the concrete path is vehicle usage, then AW needs to consider the comfort of their guests a bit more closely and build an alternative.

Thought it might still be an issue, even the white line used to get very hot in middle of summer.

I think the only option really is providing shade over the path - we used to always go up the stares from the back of the grassed area that come out in front of the roller coaster to avoid most of the road. Or take the chair lift up.

What do the parks over east use? I don't recall having a burning feet issue at either wet n wild or white water world?

Probably can't put shade structures over it if it is used by maintenance vehicles - height limits would cause problems.

WnW has the astro-turf\carpeting around the wave pool. everywhere else does tend to sear your feet medium rare. Some areas are paved (throw back to the 80's) and the paved areas can be cooler than bare concrete - but mostly the "busy-ness" of the park means you can usually just walk in the puddles left by others.

WWW uses light coloured concrete, and it still can burn on hot days, although for some reason my recollection of the park suggests this wasn't as bad of an issue as WnW was.

Probably can't put shade structures over it if it is used by maintenance vehicles - height limits would cause problems.

WnW has the astro-turf\carpeting around the wave pool. everywhere else does tend to sear your feet medium rare. Some areas are paved (throw back to the 80's) and the paved areas can be cooler than bare concrete - but mostly the "busy-ness" of the park means you can usually just walk in the puddles left by others.

WWW uses light coloured concrete, and it still can burn on hot days, although for some reason my recollection of the park suggests this wasn't as bad of an issue as WnW was.

I don't see why they couldn't put shade structures over it. Realistically it's what maintenance buggys and maybe a ute or two that would be going up the hill? The average person stands as tall or taller than the height of a ute, so a suitable covering high enough for people to walk under should be fine.

It wouldn't need to be the full length of the road - just suitable spaced to allow you to run from one shade spot to the other. Alternatively they could build a shaded path alongside the road.

Adventure World's Fright Nights has sold out for tonight. The queue for Kraken is going down to the top of the speed slides, although around 2pm the wait was only 30 minutes. I have seen Mark running around and cleaning up.

WOW ! - That would be a ridiculously long wait ... more than 2 hours surely.

Good to hear tonight sold out.