Abandoned Theme Parks

There's a website called AbandonedKansai that has great coverage of Nara Dreamland along with a host of other abandoned places right through Japan.

Abandoned Kansai - Nara Dreamland – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Abandoned ...

Funnily enough, Chippewa Lake Park is one abandoned park that kickstarted my interest to theme parks as a whole (that and Rollercoaster Tycoon).

Chippewa Lake Park - http://www.forgottenoh.com/Chippewa/chippewa.html

Nearby Nara Dreamland there's also Expoland that's also worth a look.

Six Flags New Orleans is the goto now for cliche abandoned theme parks, certainly one of the most modern examples of a large scale theme park becoming desolate.

On 8/12/2016 at 9:35 AM, Slick said:

There's a website called AbandonedKansai that has great coverage of Nara Dreamland along with a host of other abandoned places right through Japan.

Abandoned Kansai - Nara Dreamland – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Abandoned ...

Funnily enough, Chippewa Lake Park is one abandoned park that kickstarted my interest to theme parks as a whole (that and Rollercoaster Tycoon).

Chippewa Lake Park - http://www.forgottenoh.com/Chippewa/chippewa.html

Nearby Nara Dreamland there's also Expoland that's also worth a look.

Six Flags New Orleans is the goto now for cliche abandoned theme parks, certainly one of the most modern examples of a large scale theme park becoming desolate.

I love looking at pictures from Chippewa Lake Park - I think given its history, it makes for an interesting story. But I need to do more research on it!

Nara Dreamland is just amazing - it has hardly been vandalized which makes it even better. I encourage urban exploration, as long as people leave it untouched for the next person. I haven't been to Japan, but if I ever go I would definitely visit.

Six Flags is also super cool! But I agree, it is cliche, but I have also heard that a company has submitted plans to restore it back to Jazzland! Hopefully the council agree to that (rather than the former plans submitted to have it converted to a shopping tour). 

Thanks so much for your information!

This ad is so weird to watch now that the park is abandoned and in disrepair.  This was the first ad for Six Flags New Orleans after the rebranding from Jazzland. Six Flags made many improvements to the park - now the rides sit alone, decaying, waiting for the next rider that will never come :(.

Edited by Gary86

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't travel for abandoned theme parks, Luna Park might give you your fix at Halloween lol:

"Sydney's biggest Halloween event is back, bigger and better this year as Luna Park Sydney transforms into an abandoned amusement park for Halloscream 4: Return of the Forgotten Funfair. "

I was curious and did a search on "standing but not operating" amusement parks on rcdb. Loudoun Castle looks ineteresting:

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2015/08/loudoun-castle-scotland-abandoned-amusement-park/

Loudoun Castle still has SBNO a Schwarzkopf coaster- its a crime that its never been sold to another park!!

What park would not want that sort of Schwarzkopf goodness gracing their skyline? @Mark Shaw maybe an opportunity for Adventure World!! Hehehehe.

@Jessicajealousy not sure if you have seen this article but here it is!

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2015/08/most-haunting-abandoned-amusement-parks-of-the-world/

And for your viewing please here is another video through the now abandoned Loudoun Castle Theme park.

• 1 month later...

Found another abandoned amusement park in Sydney - O'Neill's Adventureland.

You can see a satellite image of its location here.

Finding this made me realise how many SBNO theme/amusement parks there were in Sydney in 2004/2005 - Sega World, Magic Kingdom, O'Neill's Adventureland, Wonderland...(any more?)...

Given Luna Park's revolving door history, is Sydney just not meant to be for theme/amusement parks? I mean I hope Wet 'n' Wild has a great future in Sydney but from what I hear, people are heading back to Jamberoo Action Park & given Western Sydney is Wet 'n' Wild's main target market, surely that isn't a good sign after nearly 3 years of operations?

At least Luna Park is currently having it's least disruptive period of operations since 1979. Only 32 more years and they'll break the record of 44 years without closing (1935-1979)!

Bit off topic I know...

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added paragraph about Luna Park.

44 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Found another abandoned amusement park in Sydney - O'Neill's Adventureland.

You can see a satellite image of its location here.

Finding this made me realise how many SBNO theme/amusement parks there were in Sydney in 2004/2005 - Sega World, Magic Kingdom, O'Neill's Adventureland, Wonderland...(any more?)...

I guess like most reasonable people you didn't count Fox Studios Backlot as a themepark. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwWnYslgok

I read something about that @Wil_i_am_not but wasn't sure how old/accurate that statement was so I took a guess & assumed that happened prior to its 'permanent closure'. Anyway, that sounds like a travelling carnival if the portable rides aren't stored on location year-round. The permanent rides are all SBNO though?

Nice video @iwerks! I never knew videos existed of the Fox Studios Backlot.

You're half correct about all of the permanent rides being SBNO @Jamberoo Fan. The only permanent rides I could recount on the site was a Waterslide, Dodgem Cars, a Ghost Train, some sort of river cruise and a miniature train. The Dodgem Cars we're still operating when I was there, although it looked completely run down and dilapidated. But all of the other rides we're SBNO.

It was actually pretty cool that the staff let us walk into the old ghost train. Apparently, it was originally known as the Wart Hog, and then was sold to a showman who converted it into a scenic ride. Then it got sold back to O'Neills and has just sat there ever since. It was obvious that they had taken out all of the props as well. Has anyone ever been on this ride and could possibly share their experience?

3 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I read something about that @Wil_i_am_not but wasn't sure how old/accurate that statement was so I took a guess & assumed that happened prior to its 'permanent closure'. Anyway, that sounds like a travelling carnival if the portable rides aren't stored on location year-round. The permanent rides are all SBNO though?

Nice video @iwerks! I never knew videos existed of the Fox Studios Backlot.

Yeah, there's some footage of the Titanic Experience. Obviously, there was lots of street entertainment and a couple of shows, but zero rides (at the time I went). It was really sold as a proper theme park, so when people realised there were basically no rides there they were pretty miffed. 

Still didn't believe it when they closed it down so quickly.

Edited by iwerks

33 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

You're half correct about all of the permanent rides being SBNO @Jamberoo Fan. The only permanent rides I could recount on the site was a Waterslide, Dodgem Cars, a Ghost Train, some sort of river cruise and a miniature train. The Dodgem Cars we're still operating when I was there, although it looked completely run down and dilapidated. But all of the other rides we're SBNO.

So just Dodgem Cars are the only permanent ride still operating? I could see the Waterslide on satellite images but given the growth of grass around it, I thought it was no longer in operation?

21 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Yeah, there's some footage of the Titanic Experience. Obviously, there was lots of street entertainment and a couple of shows, but zero rides (at the time I went). It was really sold as a proper theme park, so when people realised there were basically no rides there they were pretty miffed. 

Still didn't believe it when they closed it down so quickly.

I always wanted to go on the Titanic: The Experience! I was disappointed when I found out it closed down (several years after it actually closed as I confused Fox Studios Backlot with the actual Fox Studios as well as the Entertainment Quarter for a long time). I was really curious how the sinking was recreated as a ride (assuming it was from the point of view from a person trapped on the Titanic & not someone on a lifeboat).

I was researching Fox Studios Backlot the other week and it seems they did try to point out that it wasn't a theme park. I found this article from the Newcastle Herald which was published a few days prior to Fox Studios Backlot's opening. It mentions:

Mr Williams emphasises that Fox Studios is not a theme park and that daily visitor numbers to the complex's premier attraction, The Backlot, will be capped at 8000.

On 10/23/2016 at 0:30 AM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Finding this made me realise how many SBNO theme/amusement parks there were in Sydney in 2004/2005 - Sega World

Actually, that place was a furniture store by that time. I recall it having "SGA" on the building back in those days. The rides and arcade games got auctioned off back in '01 and most of them are in Bangladesh or somewhere else in Asia.

I worked in the CBA buidling that went into the Sega Mega World site. I went there once on a Friday night, it was deserted. Unfortunately the coaster wasn't running that night.

We and Wild Sydney might become an abandoned amusement park if things don't get better (disclaimer: just tongue in cheek speculation on my part).

The company I used to work for built all of the shelter/structures at W&W Sydney - the cabanas, gazebos, etc. We got special tickets a week before it opened, and we had the whole place to itself. It was cool, but not nearly as exciting as W&W Gold Coast.

Thanks so much to everyone for giving me more links & videos to view. I live in VIC - the only abandoned parks I know of is Wally's World (in Vermont South) and there was a park in Langwarrin.

@iwerks, in the video you linked to, is that the former prawn from DW's Gamesite at 38 seconds in? I might be wrong but it looks very similar & I don't know when DW installed the prawn at Gamesite's main entrance.

9 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Actually, that place was a furniture store by that time. I recall it having "SGA" on the building back in those days. The rides and arcade games got auctioned off back in '01 and most of them are in Bangladesh or somewhere else in Asia.

Oh, yeah. I didn't recall that when I wrote the post but still the building was in tact (minus the letter 'E') like you said & for an indoor theme 'park', that makes it look enough to still be recognised as an SBNO theme park (even if it was a furniture store at the time).

7 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

@iwerks, in the video you linked to, is that the former prawn from DW's Gamesite at 38 seconds in? I might be wrong but it looks very similar & I don't know when DW installed the prawn at Gamesite's main entrance.

No idea.  I only visited there once.  It's weird, I 've only been to Sydney twice.  The first time to see Old Sydney Town in what must have been its first year of operation, the second to catch Fox Backlot.  Still kinda miffed I never got to go to Wonderland.  Fox Backlot was walking distance from the hotel I was staying at.

19 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Oh, yeah. I didn't recall that when I wrote the post but still the building was in tact (minus the letter 'E') like you said & for an indoor theme 'park', that makes it look enough to still be recognised as an SBNO theme park (even if it was a furniture store at the time).

11 hours ago, iwerks said:

No idea.  I only visited there once.  It's weird, I 've only been to Sydney twice.  The first time to see Old Sydney Town in what must have been its first year of operation, the second to catch Fox Backlot.  Still kinda miffed I never got to go to Wonderland.  Fox Backlot was walking distance from the hotel I was staying at.

Found from a google search: 

Image result for dreamworld gamesite prawn

From the video:

Prawn.jpg

I'm going to go with yes...  Yes it is...

• 4 weeks later...

On 18/11/2016 at 7:00 PM, Jobe said:

No - never heard of that one! I flicked through the photos - other than rides being auctioned off, this place is great - no graffiti! That makes it even cooler!

Thanks so much for sharing :)