Sign in to follow this  
pushbutton

Sirens of the Sea non event

18 posts in this topic

I've just experienced "Sirens of the Sea" from the underwater viewing windows in Shark Bay.

A fascinating idea but it would seem poorly executed.

An audio recording was played for about 5 minutes which was very hard to hear but did mentionmermaids many times. 

I did wonder how they could safely have a mermaid in the water with sharks around, and thought perhaps the penguin area would have been a more suitable location. 

Anyway no mermaid was sighted by me at all. MaybeI was just very unlucky. Otherwise all "Sirens of the Sea" amounted to was as described above! 

Anyone else seen it? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, joz said:

You want to put people in the water in the penguin area?  That's perhaps the dumbest thing on the internet at the moment.  Also you do know they're not on the side which has the Sharks right?

and still it continues! I had hoped we might at least get a few weeks without the insults and offensive posts over the Christmas period. 

• Nauseating 1

Thank you rac2703. At last a sensible response! I wasn't aware the show was on last year. The video shows pretty much exactly what I was expecting to see, but even though I could clearly see through both windows there was no mermaid in sight. I will go again though now that I have confirmation there is supposed to be!

You mean Joz rationally explaining to you the water in the penguin exhibit was too cold wasn’t sensible?! 

Because a sensible person would normally figure that out on their own considering it looks like one big coolroom with ice. 

• Like 1
  • Nauseating 1

Side note - can we change the topic title? I'm sure it's not to everybody's taste, but its something additional provided by the parks free of charge - Parkz usually ranks pretty high in the search results and I wouldn't want one person's opinion shadowing the topic before a person even reads it...

On 20/12/2017 at 3:25 PM, pushbutton said:

I've just experienced "Sirens of the Sea" from the underwater viewing windows in Shark Bay.

A fascinating idea but it would seem poorly executed.

An audio recording was played for about 5 minutes which was very hard to hear but did mentionmermaids many times. 

I did wonder how they could safely have a mermaid in the water with sharks around, and thought perhaps the penguin area would have been a more suitable location. 

The penguin area has refrigerated water so would be dangerously cold.

Shark bay is heated, and safe, since guests can dive in there.

Screenshot_20171224-150107.jpg

Some pics:

20171224_150725.jpg

20171224_151051.jpg

20171224_150540.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gazza said:

The penguin area had refrigerated water so would be dangerously cold.

Shark bay is heated, and safe, since guests can dive in there.

Screenshot_20171224-150107.jpg

Some pics:

20171224_150725.jpg

20171224_151051.jpg

20171224_150540.jpg

That's interesting. How do they keep the guests  (and performers) away from the sharks?

I'm dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

8 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Because there are two separate lagoons with a dividing wall. Sharks are only in the big lagoon.

The wall is hidden under the bridge across the bay.

Well I learned something new about Sea World today.  Thanks! 

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

That's interesting. How do they keep the guests  (and performers) away from the sharks?

I remember asking a similar question of a sea world employee once about why the sharks dont eat the other fish in the shark tank and apparently the reason the sharks dont eat the other fish in the area is because they find it easier to be fed the dead fish by the employees than to hunt and eat the live fish in the aquarium. Although I was unaware there were two seperate lagoons.

10 minutes ago, Theme Park said:

I remember asking a similar question of a sea world employee once about why the sharks dont eat the other fish in the shark tank and apparently the reason the sharks dont eat the other fish in the area is because they find it easier to be fed the dead fish by the employees than to hunt and eat the live fish in the aquarium. Although I was unaware there were two seperate lagoons.

No it certainly doesn't appear that way to guests. They must have done a brilliant illusion somehow as it appears as if all the different fish are together! 

2 hours ago, red dragin said:

It's a clear glass/polycarbonate wall, if you are looking for it, it is visible. Plus all the marine life have learnt not to crash into, so watch their movements. 

Wow! That's brilliant!