Melbourne theme park?

the_muffler

Land costs are higher, but remember these days you can charge a lot more for tickets, food etc than you could in 1992. When inflation happens, everything rises together.

Ahh sorry gazza but that's wrong. In 1998 my parents sold their house for 120,000 today it's worth 750,000 today. Now I'm sure that food and drink costs have not gone up that much. A happy meal after all has only gone up 2 bucks. Inflation is not relative

Right so explain to me how they have been able to get the land for WnW Sydney? Also explain to me why the price of commerical land is tied to the price of the consumer housing market. Thirdly, explain to me why a fully fledged park cant just be built in a land efficient manner, like Universal Singapore.

Ok, just to clear things up since it's driving me crazy since I've studied economics for a few years now. Inflation is the sustained increase in the general price level over time. In Australia the Australian Bureau of Statistics measures it using the Consumer Price Index. The CPI basically just compares a basket of goods today to the SAME basket of goods in the year 2000. Comparing different items even if somewhat similar doesn't give a accurate idea of inflation. The CPI doesn't include consumer electronics as such but does include communication (which includes mobile phones). Inflation in communication tends to be well below the headline inflation rate therefore the price of communication has fallen relative to the prices of other goods. Inflation in land prices tends to be slightly above that of the overall headline inflation rate when the economy is growing, and WELL below the the headline inflation rate during periods of slow / negative growth. In the long run it should just follow the headline inflation rate.

Edited by Chubu

• 10 months later...

"Original" You say Melbourne is 40C one day the 0C the next, yet your comments are statistically unfounded, and the average temperature in summer is actually the same in Melbourne and Sydney (25.9C). Melbourne has never had 0C in Summer, recieves 50% less rain annually than Sydney 649.6mm vs 1214mm, and The annual Average in Melbourne is 20C Whilst Sydney is 21.7C so not a whole lot of difference. Melbourne does have a changeable climate, and can have sudden drops in temperature, but that is not very common, (usually only a handful of days where the temparature drops by more than 10C). Melbourne does not get the humidity, or violent storms Sydney gets, due to the moist air from the tropics (while its dry and Sunny in Melbourne due to the dry desert air that gets dragged down usually associated with a high or before a cool change,) You also say putting another park on the east coast "Eats into the healthy tourist numbers on the Gold Coast", then you say they should put one in Sydney? Last time i checked Sydney is on the east coast! I would think a park in Sydney would eat into Gold Coast numbers more, as it is closer, and more people travel to Gold Coast from NSW as it is closer(hence flights are cheaper than from Melbourne). Melbourne has a much faster growing population, people can't afford to travel as much and more, and having a park open approx 6-8 months of the year to service the almost 5 million people living down hear would most definitely work. The only reason African Safari didn't get built, was Werribee open range zoo rejecting the idea, and the locals rejecting it due to concerns for the well being of the animals(even though Village have a proven record with animals a la Sea World). It had nothing to do with Climate, or population, anything else other than the above. You should not make unfounded comments, that are wrong, and purely from your biased point of view. You should research the facts, and get it right next time, or not say it at all. FYI Sydney only gets rought 100 hours more sunshine per year than Melbourne. Melbourne is most cloudiest of all capital cities, but Sydney is a close second, and Sydney is not known for being cloudy(quite the opposite). So sick of NSW people taking every opportunity to beat down Melbourne, yeah you have a bridge, a house, and some nice beaches big frigging woop!! Get over yourself Sydney, you are good looking, but have an incredibly boring personality!!

I would respond in support of this guy, but I just bought my first IMac.... So feel totally up myself right now. You PC users are all assholes, including this other Melbourne guy too. Lol. Just joking. Besides I'm still posting from my Windows Phone....

And I bet you use $100 bills instead of toilet paper and are married to a Kardashian as well, right?