"Significant" new attractions to be announced at Dreamworld

3 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Motocoaster is easily worse than Boating School Blast and Roadrunner. 

Motocoaster and Gold Coaster are pretty much family thrill coasters when compared to ST, so not sure if this point is accurate.

Agree, motocoaster is awful. But it still looks intimidating to non thrill seekers and the restraints are not very family friendly. As for Gold Coaster, its old and boring compared to ST but its still very far from a family coaster and cant really be enjoyed by little kids. 

Bottom line is, imo, Dreamworld can do a lot better in the family coaster department 

18 minutes ago, Coasterjoe said:

Agree, motocoaster is awful. But it still looks intimidating to non thrill seekers and the restraints are not very family friendly. As for Gold Coaster, its old and boring compared to ST but its still very far from a family coaster and cant really be enjoyed by little kids. 

Bottom line is, imo, Dreamworld can do a lot better in the family coaster department 

I think MC and GC do fine for what they are. MC no matter how much the restraints suck (the ride would be so much better if all restraints were the same as the side cars) it is still very popular with families. GC is also popular with families, with most of the line seeming to be mostly be families and/or groups of kids who re-ride it all day. They could do with another “near perfect” family coaster though, as these both come with their flaws.

On 28/08/2022 at 10:52 AM, Tricoart said:

An RMC may fit their lineup, but they are (or were) somewhat infamous for being cost > quality in some aspects, and I'd imagine parts sourcing could be a big issue. If they were to go for one, it almost definitely wouldn't be the RMC of our dreams, being either a Raptor clone or an RMC Family Hybrid.

I could see it, but it'd definitely be a gamble when there are other, more proven models for sale by manufacturers that are already established here (just less of a gamble than going all-in on a Raptor or ground-up Hybrid).

Edited by Tricoart

14 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

just less of a gamble than going all-in on a Raptor or ground-up Hybrid

Most of the coasters here have been new models or modified by manufacturers, Tower, Scooby, Lethal, Motocoaster, Big Dipper, Green Lantern. All of these are first of their type or customised in way they're designed. Our parks have a history of taking risks on new coaster types so a RMC isn't really much of a risk as you'd think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

I think MC and GC do fine for what they are. MC no matter how much the restraints suck (the ride would be so much better if all restraints were the same as the side cars) it is still very popular with families. GC is also popular with families, with most of the line seeming to be mostly be families and/or groups of kids who re-ride it all day. They could do with another “near perfect” family coaster though, as these both come with their flaws.

Just an idea, but it would be cool if MC could get cars similar to the ones on Hagrid’s at Islands of Adventure. They’re probs quite expensive, but they have lap bars on both the motorbikes and side cars, making it more comfortable, and helping for much quicker dispatches, of which MC’s are terribly slow.

1 hour ago, pin142 said:

Most of the coasters here have been new models or modified by manufacturers, Tower, Scooby, Lethal, Motocoaster, Big Dipper, Green Lantern. All of these are first of their type or customised in way they're designed. Our parks have a history of taking risks on new coaster types so a RMC isn't really much of a risk as you'd think.

While that is true, most of these were a decent amount of time ago (at least in industry standards), as well as most consisting of relatively smaller rides (all but ToT, kinda). Though, that's not me saying that RMC should be entirely ruled out as a manufacturer in Australia just because it's not got anything here yet, nor that an unproven ride type of theirs is an impossible investment for a park here, just that going straight into the deep end (either with a custom raptor or a ground-up hybrid, and especially in the current industry's landscape) seems out-of-left-field. What I can imagine is a park here going for a smaller-scale RMC, like the cloned Raptors or an RMC Family Hybrid, and if it performs up to expectations (or they could score a package deal), then explore options for RMC's of a grander scale.

Edited by Tricoart

Ooooh, I can comment on that now (Trip report probably in a week or two)

It actually felt quite awkward. When you entered a turn on the ‘inside’ you’d get this feeling of braking suddenly (because physics, the car is following a shorter path than the chassis) so it didn’t really flow well as a ride.

Looks interesting offride, and I gave it a good 5 or 6 laps to be sure, but it didn’t really impress overall.

I think the one at Skara will be the only one ever built.

PXL_20220717_131636944.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Looks interesting offride, and I gave it a good 5 or 6 laps to be sure, but it didn’t really impress overall.

Agree with this. It is a unique ride and an "interesting" get for enthusiasts but doesn't offer much else. There are plenty of other rides which would be a better fit as a medium thrill coaster.

Honestly, from what's known about the S&S Axis (mostly being that it's seemingly limited to low g-forces), could they not just make a layout without the flipover element and perhaps with slightly modified restraints, and make it a family coaster? RMC's done it (Hybrid/Thrill > Hybrid/Family), Vekoma's done it (SFC/Family > STC/Thrill), why couldn't S&S?

Edited by Tricoart

5 hours ago, pin142 said:

Two words Lantern Green.

Pretty unfair to judge a company on one design, S&S is also responsible for Eejanaika. They are more than capable of making quality coasters. On the topic of Green Lantern, besides being a maintenance headache its a pretty popular ride with the GP. Green Lantern is fine as a supporting coaster. 

58 minutes ago, Coasterjoe said:

Pretty unfair to judge a company on one design, S&S is also responsible for Eejanaika. They are more than capable of making quality coasters. 

While I think that S&S is a solid manufacturer, I feel like their designs are quite novelty, with most of their models only ever seeing 2 or 3 installations at the most. I am pretty sure that we will see other big manufacturers start and continue to pop up coasters around the county until S&S build another ride in the nation again.

I don't really see many of the parks working with S+S any time soon. Especially with the Green Lantern issues that the ride had. Especially given that many of the high end staff in the operations team were with Village at the time of it opening and saw first hand what a potato it was. Batwing also had a fair few issues early on.

I'd say the only reason that Movie World keeps Green Lantern running is because nothing else can fit there and it's keeping them ahead of Dreamworld right now for coasters and thrills until they hopefully catch up again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

I don't really see many of the parks working with S+S any time soon. Especially with the Green Lantern issues that the ride had. Especially given that many of the high end staff in the operations team were with Village at the time of it opening and saw first hand what a potato it was. Batwing also had a fair few issues early on.

I'd say the only reason that Movie World keeps Green Lantern running is because nothing else can fit there and it's keeping them ahead of Dreamworld right now for coasters and thrills until they hopefully catch up again.

Today agree. I have also heard that, based on his experience, DW's current CEO is no fan of S&S. Extremely unlikely they will acquire anything from them

Went to DW today and in terms of future attractions this is how  I see the priorities. 

Thrill Rides: Needs something airtime focused, a woodie or Rmc hybrid would be my picks. Wouldn’t say no to a hyper but Rivals is a tough competitor. Would not lose sleep if they removed Gold Coaster tbh, its had its time and its too rough to enjoy now days imo. 

Family Rides: Sky Voyager is amazing, the park needs more immersive family experiences like this and I think its an area DW can really shine. A story telling dark ride or flume would be my pics. 

Kids rides: I actually like the kids lineup. Something bluey themed, even if it was a flat would be great. 

Overall I think DW has a lot of potential, the park looks pretty good, just needs one or two more big drawcards that arent spinny flippy flat rides. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

Today agree. I have also heard that, based on his experience, DW's current CEO is no fan of S&S. Extremely unlikely they will acquire anything from them

That would be because himself, and the operations manager were at Movie World when the Green Lemon debuted... I very much doubt they would work with S+S. And honestly most of their rides are plagued with issues, the only ones that seem to be reliable is the Space Shots and the Screaming Swings. Which Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a screaming swing at Sea World TBH. If dreamworld didn't have The Claw it would be a good fit.