Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point "Closing"

Coasterjoe

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/new-in-2024

"Top Thrill 2"

The World’s Tallest & Fastest Triple-Launch Strata Coaster

Have a need for speed? Get revvved up in 2024 and buckle in as Cedar Point introduces Top Thrill 2, the world’s TALLEST and FASTEST triple-launch strata coaster. This record-breaking, next generation motorsport machine races a course unlike any other on the planet. Sleek, aerodynamic vehicles launch you not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES as you drive the sky in an epic competition to reach the finish line.

Experience true weightlessness as you immerse yourself in three “free-fall” moments, including the coveted, fan-favorite “rollback” after you’re first launched forward. Then, launch backward and rise into the sky on a new, cloud-piercing vertical tower, giving you never-before-seen views of America’s Roller Coast®. A third launch rockets you forward at 120 mph, sending you on a race to the stratosphere before reaching the finish line.

Join the CP Racing Team and conquer Top Thrill 2 – a new formula for thrills. Follow construction updates and the rise of Top Thrill 2 on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as we race to the summer of 2024!

DC Rivals Hypercoaster eat your heart out for shittiest coaster names ever

Oh sorry, I thought it was Wicked Twister 2 lol. Are amusement parks around the world having a comp for the least imaginative ride name?

Will it really get to the top of the back spike, or will it do a Tower of Terror 2?

I was fortunate enough to ride the original many times and will always remember the pure exhileration of that launch.

21 minutes ago, downunder said:

Oh sorry, I thought it was Wicked Twister 2 lol. Are amusement parks around the world having a comp for the least imaginative ride name?

Will it really get to the top of the back spike, or will it do a Tower of Terror 2?

I was fortunate enough to ride the original many times and will always remember the pure exhileration of that launch.

If I had to guess, it’d reliably get about 300-350ft up on a normal cycle (with the speed they’ve quoted & the animations)

3 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Top Thrill 2 Triple Launch Coaster: The Ride

2 Top 2 Thrill

8 hours ago, wikiverse said:

There's already a twist in the forward drop after the top hat.  Why have two of the same element?

It just feels like transplanting a new engine into your car and not replacing the clutch whilst in there. 

I guess the park has so many coasters, keeping the ride essentially how it was won't matter. 

on the contrary I think the swing launch element (while necessary) will add to the ride experience. Steel Taipan's reverse launch always hits just right for me.

All this hate on the name, I don't think it deserves it. We had tower of terror, and tower of terror 2, which was mostly the same ride experience with some minor changes. This is much the same thing, and I think keeping the 'top thrill' name is fine.

I'd remind us all not to get too carried away hyper-analysing the computer animations - we should have learned by now they aren't always 100% accurate. I'm quite sure, for example, that the launch is going to be protected to avoid a repeat incident.

Very interesting that you will have a steel coaster that is originally Intamin as the OEM and designer of the attraction, and now you have a completely new OEM with Zamperla coming in to make enhancements and modifications to an attraction that's not their design. Ultimately Zamperla would have to be accepting the attraction in its entirety to be their design moving forward from an ownership of design risk perspective. 

3 hours ago, Levram__ said:

Ultimately Zamperla would have to be accepting the attraction in its entirety to be their design moving forward from an ownership of design risk perspective. 

This is not new. It's no different to Morgan modifying an old Arrow coaster, or S&S turning a Premier Rides water coaster into a steel launched coaster.

Zamperla have hired a bunch of people from Intamin to build out their roller coaster division.

20 hours ago, Levram__ said:

Very interesting that you will have a steel coaster that is originally Intamin as the OEM and designer of the attraction, and now you have a completely new OEM with Zamperla coming in to make enhancements and modifications to an attraction that's not their design. Ultimately Zamperla would have to be accepting the attraction in its entirety to be their design moving forward from an ownership of design risk perspective. 

This is pretty much RMC's business model. 

While I'm happy that the ride will exist again, the loss of the launch is a huge L. I only got to do it 5 times but it was bloody incredible - better than Formula Rossa in my mind. Acceleration > Top Speed. The previous launch was 1.48G, this one is 0.48G.. even Red Forceless will have more force. 

Throughput should be pretty much the same, and the twist might be better with riders sitting higher off the track.. but still a pity.

Edited by Dean Barnett

• 1 month later...

Weird that in the concpet art they show the track near the bottom being dark grey, same as the supports when they have painted that area white. The concept art only shows white at the top.  Is the whiteish looking paint on it now just a primer or did they change the color scheme. 

68B81EA5-82BB-4215-8269-44132AE0C402.jpeg

Edited by REGIE

1 hour ago, REGIE said:

Weird that in the concpet art they show the track near the bottom being dark grey, same as the supports when they have painted that area white. The concept art only shows white at the top.  Is the whiteish looking paint on it now just a primer or did they change the color scheme. 

Other (perhaps more recent) concept art/renders has the lighter grey track colour included, I believe they’ve just done that specific render/concept art with an outdated idea for its colour scheme. 
image.thumb.jpeg.2b8125ce042e3e944d1dc3a0985f6d7e.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart

3 hours ago, REGIE said:

The lightsource is behind the lower track. You can tell based on the highlights on the side edge of the footer. Potentially that is throwing the foreground track into shadow, and dynamic shading is portraying it darker than it is, and it is in fact the same light grey all the way along?

If you look as the track rises to the top hat, it still looks dark facing the camera, but the inner structure becomes lighter, due to the different lighting angle?

57 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

If you look as the track rises to the top hat, it still looks dark facing the camera, but the inner structure becomes lighter, due to the different lighting angle?

Then the red’d be darker too, and the tophat colours in general would slowly fade into and out of darker shades throughout its arch, instead of having the stark contrast between dark grey, vibrant red, and pure white take place with near to no change in angle. They’ve definitely just used an outdated colour scheme for that render.

Edited by Tricoart

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...