Theme Park Worldwide Announce Australian Tour

Noll_57

2 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Because what happens when someone DOES get hurt is the entire fucking industry gets the screws tightened, forcing people to do things like "no tissues allowed" and "RFIDs on rollercoasters".

We would be lucky if the industry survives on the GC, if we had another DW death ride incident.  Australian population is tiny in comparison to the USA so any incident is much harder to recover from.

5 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Because what happens when someone DOES get hurt is the entire fucking industry gets the screws tightened, forcing people to do things like "no tissues allowed" and "RFIDs on rollercoasters".

It's just interesting looking at the juxtaposition of not being allowed tissues on rollercoasters here but at Disneyland they'll happy dispatch an inverting rollercoaster while you're holding your phone with an entire backpack at your feet. 

17 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

It's just interesting looking at the juxtaposition of not being allowed tissues on rollercoasters here but at Disneyland they'll happy dispatch an inverting rollercoaster while you're holding your phone with an entire backpack at your feet. 

Disney ≠ Aus parks

American safety standards ≠ Australian safety standards

stop comparing the two, we really shouldn’t be looking at America on how to run things. Also, down the road from Disney you go through metal detectors to ensure nothing is on you, so clearly it’s just a Disney thing. 

23 hours ago, Naazon said:

Only because @REGIE will ask, no idea if my company insures theme parks. Never looked, don't care to and too busy. I do know we have (maybe still) done some work with Australia Zoo in the past, but I don't believe that was liability

Thanks for the answer I was just wondering why, and that makes sense! But no I was not going to ask about if your company insures parks I was just going to say thanks for a answer that makes sense to me. Sorry if I sometimes come across like some idiot I realise somethings I post don’t add to the conversation, even if at the time, I thought it might have.  in no way do I want to be that annoying person who constantly undermines.

I was not recommending that rides should let GoPros on I just wanted to know why they don’t and that makes sense. Sorry again if one or more of my comments have caused frustration to anyone. it was not my goal..  (comparing Australia parks to anything that’s not in Australia should be banned though)

1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

time a train stalled because a backpack fell on the tracks 

Imagine the Aussie news teams if that happened here… seems like a good reason to not bring things on .

Edited by REGIE

1 hour ago, REGIE said:

Imagine the Aussie news teams if that happened here… seems like a good reason to not bring things on .

It’s just the same as when Levi got evacuated on the hill.  Also one occurrence in literally millions of riders.

(one I know of - I haven’t done extensive research 

Edited by Dean Barnett

8 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

There are these little things called ‘negative g-forces’ that our parks use pretty commonly, but Disney’s yet to invent.

Cast Members were very clear that filming is still allowed, but that the recording device must be secured to the person, as noted on the sign. An example given was a GoPro strapped to the chest of a guest. In that scenario, the GoPro would not be considered a loose item. There is no policy in place that filming is not allowed on Space Mountain.

Even saying it was only brought in a few months ago in anticipation of the first coaster opening soon that travels over guests (Tron)

Edited by Dean Barnett

58 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

Even saying it was only brought in a few months ago in anticipation of the first coaster opening soon that travels over guests (Tron)

But I thought it was ridiculous for “here” to add strict policies for rides that travel over guests, and the correct way to go about things was the Disney way where they’ll happily allow guests to stow entire backpacks loose in the train?

11 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

That’s what this current escapade of yours started as, anyway. And I haven’t even mentioned that you switched from using the originally referenced coaster (California Screamin’ @ Disneyland, which, if I might add, seemingly also has revised their loose article policy, way before Tron’s opening) to one at a park on the other side of the continent (Space Mountain @ Magic Kingdom) to further your inherently incorrect and nigh on dangerous argument. Also, if you can’t tell the difference between California Screamin’/Space Mountain’s intensity and every given example of a thrill coaster in Australia’s intensity, there’s something very wrong. Because, disregarding the fact that countries have different safety standards, a coaster with an average positive force around 2G’s and ‘negative’ force around 0.5G’s aren’t forced to be held to the same safety standards & regulations as one that commonly passes 3.5G’s and -1G’s.

Edited by Tricoart

56 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

But I thought it was ridiculous for “here” to add strict policies for rides that travel over guests, and the correct way to go about things was the Disney way where they’ll happily allow guests to stow entire backpacks loose in the train?

I never did such thing. I said it's interesting that some parks allow you to ride holding a untethered mobile phone with a backpack at your feet - and some parks (here) will force you to remove a tissue from your pocket before dispatching.

I'm not saying out parks should follow the Disney method.. maybe just a happy medium?

I will say taking backpacks and phones on a ride is stupid, taking mine on Scooby stresses me enough, i can’t imagine talking it on a ride like Superman💀

as long as it protects me from a phone flying and hitting my face at 100km/hr im fine with the loose article policies here.

Edited by Rivals

11 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I will say taking backpacks and phones on a ride is stupid, taking mine on Scooby stresses me enough, i can’t imagine talking it on a ride like Superman💀

as long as it protects me from a phone flying and hitting my face at 100km/hr im fine with the loose article policies here.

Yeah, and a lot of modern train designs flat out wouldn't accommodate any backpacks onboard anyway, either because they'd just slide right off the side of the train, or because there'd just be no room for them. In Superman's loose articles case, there's much worse examples of loose article policies with other coasters & parks (first one that comes to mind is Steel Vengeance). At least here there's trays for glasses & the like in the station, and the lockers are free to use for an hour.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

The problem with our lockers is they're at the start of the queue - SV's are towards the end, and you can take your phone on the train with you.

I meant pre-2019 SV (or whenever it was before they added pouches on the ride & other updates to the system).

Edited by Tricoart

14 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

3 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Wait, you mean Disney rides never travelled over guests before, and thats why loose items weren't an issue, but now we're travelling closely to non-riding guests, they've changed the rules? 😮 

it's almost like they've come to the same conclusion that our parks have!

2 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

I'm not saying out parks should follow the Disney method.. maybe just a happy medium?

Here's your happy medium - our safety culture still allows rollercoasters to be built and ridden by humans, with the proviso that no loose items are allowed, and additional seatbelts and RFIDs are used to eliminate risks.

Seriously, if it's that big of a deal to you - move overseas. I hear some regions in South America and their efficiency on their coasters is awesome with no bothersome seatbelts and they've only killed a handful of people this year. Maybe we'll get lucky.

20 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I hear some regions in South America and their efficiency on their coasters is awesome with no bothersome seatbelts and they've only killed a handful of people this year. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Dean's argument is misplaced & looking at things the wrong way, but there's absolutely zero reason to make it as serious & personally insulting as you just did. Disregarding if you meant to imply what you've implied or not, the simple act of bringing up deaths on attractions to prove a point, even if it was a real statistic (it's obviously not), is taking it way too far. Bad move.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

The key difference is that Disney is large enough to self-insure their parks division. Therefore, the company can make different decisions on their appetite for risk compared to almost the entire industry which relies on a third party for insurance. There are also other factors - Walt Disney World's local government is essentially operated entirely by The Walt Disney Company (definitely helps with litigation and regulation hurdles). Also, many if not all of their rides are designed to avoid huge pops of airtime and extreme, sudden changes of motion, which results in loose articles staying within ride vehicles. Even the Disney coasters I have been on that go inverted still didn't have enough negative g-force to pull my bag away from the train.

2 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

The problem with our lockers is they're at the start of the queue - SV's are towards the end, and you can take your phone on the train with you.

Only Jet Rescue and Superman have this issue and with the latter, there are huge components of the ride where the train comes within centimetres of guests' heads outside. Whilst sitting in a hot queue for half an hour and being forced to talk to people you're riding with kind of sucks, it's not the worst thing ever. Could be easily improved with something more interesting on the tellies.

19 minutes ago, Slick said:

Only Jet Rescue and Superman have this issue and with the latter, there are huge components of the ride where the train comes within centimetres of guests' heads outside. Whilst sitting in a hot queue for half an hour and being forced to talk to people you're riding with kind of sucks, it's not the worst thing ever. Could be easily improved with something more interesting on the tellies.

*and storm for items that don't fit in your pocket

30 minutes ago, Slick said:

JR gives you two options for storage.  It has lockers and a shelf system at the station, similar to what wipeout had.  People can choice to use the free lockers or the station storage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slick said:

When the time comes to refurbish superman (which is likely to be the next big thing after oz and Scooby imo) I think it will be an easy quality of life change to change the lockers. Move the lockers later on in the queue, on the wall adjacent to where the current fast track line is, make them double sided so you can open them up in the old exit gift shop and retrieve your items as you leave. Redo the railings so you walk past these lockers as you line up, and reroute fast track to the other end of the building.

Pretty easy and not terribly expensive quality of life change that improves the experience for many more people especially when you are lining up for well over an hour in summer. Not sure why they didn’t have this when the exit building had the gift shop in it. 30 minutes without a phone is fine, but when you’re pushing an hour and a half that’s where (younger) people will get put off and will go flood the line for rivals or green lantern

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1