new coaster at dreamworld? PLEASE

goliath

I personally don't care what Dreamworld put in after the aqua park as long as it's not a woodie because those look very boring and dont attack me for saying that because yes I've never ridden one before (unless you of course count scenic at lp melb) but that is simply my opinion and this thread is getting kinda stupid and o/t, who cares what they put in there, as long as it's something new, fun and exciting (and this can be done via a thrill or flat ride) It's also stupid to compare dw to mw because they really arent in the same league: DW pride themselves on being a thrill park, MW is a family orrintated theme park. I really dont care who is the better park because I visit both, I dont care which park has the better rides because I visit both, I don't care if DW do bring in a B&M to compete with Superman because I'll ride both. I know most of you prob dont care what I think but you all are such rollercoaster/theme park addicts I just thought to post a opinion of someone who doesnt care what park get's what and which park is the better park.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Dreamworld invest in a decent family ride. I can't think of a single 'major' family attraction at Dreamworld. Sure, they have Nick Central - but that's for kids, not families. They have Wiggles World - but that's for toddlers, not families. They do have some low-budget family rides like Eureka, the Log Flume, and River Rapids. But c'mon, there's not much the whole family can enjoy. Regardless of what anyone here says, it's obvious that Dreamworld isn't just after thrill-seekers...

Edited by Adam

Of course when arguing about what sort of roller coasters should go into DW, we have to think that this community is a small demographic of Gold Coast themepark visitors. Most people here are very "RollerCoaster Literate" in the sense that they've ridden heaps of rollercoasters or pick out lacks in theming that most visitors to DW or any themepark in that matter wouldn't care about. Basically to most "normal" guests, any type of rollercoaster, would be good enough.

Of course when arguing about what sort of roller coasters should go into DW, we have to think that this community is a small demographic of Gold Coast themepark visitors. Most people here are very "RollerCoaster Literate" in the sense that they've ridden heaps of rollercoasters or pick out lacks in theming that most visitors to DW or any themepark in that matter wouldn't care about. Basically to most "normal" guests, any type of rollercoaster, would be good enough.
Have to disagree sure some teenages may just not notice the theming but alot of the general public here and worldwide notice a good look or story (as they dont refer to it as theming) Thats why Disneyland was so great because it took you into a fantasy world for the day and out of the real world which isnt the best place (just watch the news) Why do I know this well not just because i travel to lots of parks but because everyday I talk to guests at work and the most common things heard are stuff like how cool was scooby compared to lethal, I get alot lately from guest who have been to universal about how the mummy and Jurrasic park were great. IMO opinon themed parks need to have theming, parks like Cedar Point and SFMM dont as much because (a) they have loads of coaster compared to other parks (B) there target is coaster riders. So as for Dreamworld I would have said 5 years ago any non themed coaster would be fine, but now with the waterpark, The Claw, Gold Rush Coutry and Tower of Terror, wiggles. I definely see any new addition having some theming somewhere on the ride. Edited by rabid disney

Well IMO an inverted coaster would be great, personally I think G's feel so much funner on an inverted coaster, maybe to do with swinging out over pathways round helixes etc. Anyway, I heard rumours that something is happening near the TOT after DWWP is finished. I also had a chat to various ride ops and most of them wouldnt say much but one said that Dreamworld might get a couple of more 'compact' coasters in the future. If you put the two together you can expect something reasonably good. Especially if it's a B&M that their planning.

They've been leaning towards compact designs, See Tivoli Gardens' Dæmonen for a great example of that - 28m tall with a track length of under 600m. That's more or less the size of Sea World's Corkscrew. Though it goes without saying that B&M really excel at their large-scale multi-loopers. If we're talking compact coasters for Dreamworld, I'd sooner see one of Maurer Sohne's Xtended coasters. Adding this third dimension (rotation) to coasters really is the future for compact cosaters. I certainly wouldn't expect Dreamworld to install a looping coaster (eg B&M) that is smaller than Cyclone because there is significantly reduced marketability.

But a ride like Deja Vu would generate long lines. Id sort of prefer it if they move away from rides where its 'one lot gets on, rides, gets off, repeat' unless the single vehicle holds a lot of people. It should be something with more than one train so the queue moves faster so there is always a train getting loaded. It just gets frustrating on rides like Cyclone, TOT, GD where you have to wait for ages while one lot of people go at a time, or on rides like Eureka and the Log Ride where the cars are so small and intimate the queue crawls along and it is hard to get full loads because not everyone rides in a group of four. WO and the Claw worked well because they take a lot of people in one go and the ride cycle is not excessivley long. Although not at DW, SE and LW should be something they should look at because one lot is loading while the other lot is going, so the queue is continuously moving and thats why Deja Vu could be annoying because it can only run train at a time and nothing can be done while it runs and if DW got their hands on one they would only stuff it up and run it poorly like virtually everything else they own, and you would join the line at 1pm and you would get on at 3pm and it would then break down because its Vekoma.

Edited by Gazza

I agree. A queue is so much more bearable if it moves. If you're not moving forward every minute or so then, regardless of train size or capacity, it's not a terribly well designed ride. It could be one step or it could be 10 metres, but there needs to be a constant flow. I really think two things need to be addressed by Dreamworld. Adam pointed out their lack of true family rides - rides that can be enjoyed by everyone. I don't think the answer is to balance out thrill rides ("adult"-only rides) with Nick Central (children-only) or Wiggles World (toddler-only), but rather to compliment the thrill rides with broader attractions the whole family can enjoy, especially now that the younger kids now have plenty to do in the park. The second is concentrating on smaller rides of the different genres that add depth to the park's attractions. If we were to visually represent a theme park's activities, you could do it with the a three dimensional chart. Width represents the different age groups, from toddlers to children to families to the thrill market. Height represents drawcard attractions - major investments that bring mass attention to the park. The final aspect is depth - there needs to be enough to do for every guest of every demographic, i.e. quantity of attractions. Second is adding more smaller attractions. Our parks need to get away from the thinking that it has to be the biggest or the best and break up the lengthy periods between major rides with several smaller attractions that will do much more for the park long-term than the big ones do. The Claw was a move in the right direction, but they played that as a major ride. To add to what rabid said before, theming does matter and guests do notice, but this isn't to say that it's vital. I'd rate just making a ride look good, with adequate landscaping and well-constructed surroundings over a fully themed attraction anyday.

I totally agree with that. Many of Dreamworld’s rides are so poorly themed that they would look a lot nicer if the themeing was removed. It’s all in presentation – no themeing is better than crap themeing. And let’s face it; most of Dreamworld’s themeing is lacking. They went to some effort to “theme” (I wouldn’t call the end product a ‘themed’ ride) the Cyclone. Why? It’s a mess. Don't get me wrong, I love good themeing. Disneyland has to be the best amusement/theme/fun park in the world for this very reason. I do like the way Dreamworld themed The Claw, I’d say it’s one of their best themed rides.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, First of all Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here! B+M stands for Bolliger and Malingbard, They are renouned for their Flying Coasters, Floorless coasters and many other unique designs. They are also popular due to their smoothness, compared to Many Arrow or Vekoma Rides such as Cyclone and Lethal Weapon.

Aff, ill give you a bit of a rundown , B&M ( http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com ) are regarded quite highly (along with Intamin, there tends to be a bit of debate over who is better ( www.intaminworldwide.com)) as being the worlds best coaster manufacturer, because of their high quality, innovation, twisted track layouts and comfort. So when people dream about new rides for their local park often a B&M is at the top of the wishlist. But these days many manufacturers are coming out with some very cool ideas that would rival B&M. But back to the dreaming, i would love to see an S&S screamin squirrel like Sawmill Adventure at Gardaland (http://www.rcdb.com/id2942.htm), it looks crazy and could be fitted in anywhere in the park really. I think it could make a nice rocky hollow or Gold Rush attraction.

Ok I am going to start this post by telling you I am a 36 year old coaster rider. I have just looked at the diving coaster from B+M and all I can say is,That is FREAKEN COOL. god I cant believe I just used that word in a post. Anyway back on topic,I have a 7 year old and to tell you the truth he is the one that is sick of Dreamworld more then I am,and I have had a max action pass for the last 6 years. Why does he hate it so much? because there is nothing really for him to do. He is to short to go on the major rides and just to old to enjoy the yonger rides. DW have to get something to fill in this gap in their ride arsenal,sure he can ride the RR in nick central,but god you can only do that so many times before you get bored with it. I am lucky,he will be tall enogh when we go next to ride the big stuff but there are a lot of other families out there with this problem.

Hi, I am new to this forum as you can probably see. I am 13 years of age and live in Melbourne. I agree, I went to Dreamworld last September with my family. My brother can't go on the big thrill rides because he is too short. This causes alot of problems, especially when my parents have to look after him and miss out on the ride themselves. I think dreamworld should build at least two new family/thrill rides. One should be a coaster and the other a flat ride. What is your opinions

Edited by Coaster Boy 6