Wet'n'Wild: New 2007 Attraction

mattcrombie

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I agree with you there. Even though they haven't really themed it, it still looks great. It's not a silly theme like the Motocaster, which in future will fade and look very cheap. (more cheap then it looks now)
ash you do actually read what you type? You say that WnW haven't themed the surf rider but it still looks great. Then you say it's better than the the motorcoaster theming, Which in fact does have theming.

Well It's no themeing looks better then Motocoaster's themeing.It looks better overall. And I didn't say it had no themeing. Just said they "haven't really themed it." Meaning very little. A little off-topic, but I must say Richard, your latest story on Surfrider (one word) is good but its picture on the front page is a little too big. That's just what I think. But I don't like having to scroll down so far to the other stuff.

Edited by ash.1111

Evidently you haven't read the article because it wasn't really about Surfrider. The image was too big; we can't really be sure until the article goes up, and I was resizing it as you posted (probably best to wait more than a few minutes after an article goes up). I noticed that they have recently condensed it to simply Surfrider. Up until very recently it was 'Surf Rider'. We have a 'Site Issues' forum for this exact purpose. In future direct this kind of thing to that forum rather than posting in other topics that have little to do with it. Nonetheless thanks for pointing these things out, it is appreciated.

No Worries Richard. The picture is good. Is there any information on what the lines are like? I'm guessing they would be long because this is the park's only roller coaster and it's a one train. Also I would think because of the station's design, the loading time would be longer? Anyways, That's a guess. Can anyone tell me what they are like?

I'm guessing that due to low seating capacity and huge crowds expected this Summer, the wait for this ride is going to get pretty horrendous - no matter how quick the cycle time My best advise to anyone out there, go mid week and avoid school holidays if you wanna get a few goes in! Thanks for the article too Richard. The pic looks awesome!

Hi all first post, hope it works!!!! I went to Wet'n'Wild yesterday just to ride this beast, I was very surprised! It was well worth it. We arrived early 9:45 the queue was down the ramp to the car park, we were in for a busy day. Had pre paid tickets so we could get in quickly, got a locker then straight over to surfrider, no go! Having tech problems and testing, so we left rode some slides. 12:00 stopped for lunch, after lunch 1pm, we heard screams it was finally going. Raced over and joined the queue. The queue area has a sign stateing 30min wait from here, well the queue went past there and doubled back past there. We waited, got to the second last queue section (about 30-40mins) to hear moans it had tech problems again, two test runs and was back going. Next thing I heard two riders, yes, we jumped the queue and were on the next ride! If you ride this expecting not to get wet, DON'T even line up for it, you get wet just waiting for your ride! The ride ops were great, they were pretty much running everywhere to get everyone through as quickly as possible. It was our turn, watching the previous few cycles of the ride the right hand set of seats spun alot more than the left (at times the left seats didn't move at all), so we got seats on the right. The restraints are pretty much the same as superman escapes. Buckled up ready to go. The surrounding platform lowered and you hear the holding brakes release and away we go. It is amazing how quickly this ride moves, within three-four passes you are at the top of the half pipe and on the way down the two water jets (they look like two fire hoses attached to each side of the station loading platform, two on each end of the platform, four in total) shoot out a heap of water and you get soaked. You get three full cycles of the half pipe, (reach the top six times, I hope thats right). The ride then comes to a very gentle stop, platforms raise up, harnesses release and we were quickly sent down the exit ramp. It is a great ride, alot better and wetter then I expected. We went for some more slide time in the black hole to see the surfrider go down again with tech problems. We were lucky we got that queue jump, we would have missed out! The surfrider was down till about 4- 4:30, when testing restarted, we rushed over, just as the ride ops reopened the queue area. Yes, we get to re-ride today. The second ride was far better then the first, both sets of seats spun freely, and I mean they spun freely, you get to the top of the half pipe and the seats whip you around in 180-270 degree, awesome! Maybe this was the tech issue they had, I'm only guessing?! Anyway enough of my dribble, in short it was an amazing ride, much better than I had imagined. You have to ride this to see what I mean, it is now a roller coaster's must do!

Thanks for the report, Hawk and welcome to R-C.com.au. They had better figure out what is causing all those failures quickly. Three technical difficulties in one day is not good. I know it's still new, WnW is still trying to learn the ropes but it's more a mechanical error from the sounds of it and it's still a bit strange that machinery as new as this is failing so many times. WnW will have to make sure they maintain this ride properly, with all that water around the metal there is a high chance that the paint is going to fade pretty quickly, as well as the danger of bad rusting.

Edited by Swanny

This sounds great. It is nice to hear all positive reviews about a ride. Surfrider certainly sounds like a success unlike a certain other new coaster at a certain other park that I won't mention again here. I have to say I am really pleased they have gone for the full on water jets rather than just a mist - let's hope they keep them. How much fun! I also think the surfboard ride base looks great... very nice paint job

one or more of the LSM (linear synchronized motors) that line the lower section of the track and which launch the surf board are probably becoming out of sync that's the usual problem with new LSM/LIM coasters but they usually work out the "glitches" pretty fast. Good to hear great ride experiences coming from peoples, it beats that other "new" (crappy) coaster hands down. Here's a bit more on LSM/LIM: LSM/LIM explanation and my corny pic of what they do :lol:post-937-1191138730_thumb.jpg Zane.

This sounds great. It is nice to hear all positive reviews about a ride. Surfrider certainly sounds like a success unlike a certain other new coaster at a certain other park that I won't mention again here. I have to say I am really pleased they have gone for the full on water jets rather than just a mist - let's hope they keep them. How much fun! I also think the surfboard ride base looks great... very nice paint job
So based on what you've read your saying that "It could be a success" however your also saying that based on what you've seen your "claiming" that the motorcoaster will be a failure?

But the difference is one is thrilling, the other isn't. WnW is going from strength to strength at the moment so it is a fair comment (that it will be successful) Unfortunately I can see it being a victim of its success and just get huge queues (maybe introduce a fast pass type system using locker wristbands or something)

Edited by Gazza

^^ A success or great ride yeah, I think that's exactly what GoGoBoy is saying. I haven't had the pleasure of riding either new Coaster but I have seen enough footage and heard enough testimonials to form the opinion that Surfrider is wicked fun and Motocoaster is well, just fun

Edited by MickeyD

So based on what you've read your saying that "It could be a success" however your also saying that based on what you've seen your "claiming" that the motorcoaster will be a failure?
So far the people who have ridden Surfrider have nothing but positive things to say about it. Whereas the feedback has been less than great about Motocoaster. I certainly trust the opinions of the users on this site and think it's a good indication of the success of each of these rides

I'm sure Surf rider is a fun ride, but it truely pretty much a flat ride, that would be very close to a claw experience, although i kinda hope with slightly less positive Gs as claw kinda pulls my face down and is a very strange feeling at full velocity.
Haha thats hilarious! I like the force on the claw, especially coming back through the station. I think it will be a completely different experience and feel to the claw. Can't wait to ride it... I got alot of new attractions to do when I head up next, and even a whole new park ! (www) EDIT: IS MY SIG TOO BIG FOR THE FORUMS? Edited by mickey_079

Soft openings allow the park to fine tune the aspects of the ride you would only get to know by running it with real guests, eg efficiency and loading procedures. That way when the ride is opened officially and people start visiting specifically for it things go without a hitch. If its a major ride it could be a nightmare for the ops if they are dealing with opening day crowds, while at the same time trying to learn the ropes themeselves. This is what people are saying has been happening with the motocoaster at DW with the ops being a bit stressed. However at WnW the ops are settled in nicley and have obviously established a nice rhythm that will work well when dealing with the crowds wanting to try it out.

The ride ops were great, they were pretty much running everywhere to get everyone through as quickly as possible
Edited by Gazza