Surfrider to close during colder months

ShadowXL

• 4 months later...

Well all rides need maintenance and surfrider would need more with all the water and chlorine. Same deal with paint, it gets eated by the chemicals in the water. I'm guessing they'll rehab the FT whilst its cold as hell up here and then re-paint the pool ready for the next season. Seems like a pretty logical move to me.

• 2 weeks later...

^Really, it seemed fine to me whenever I have been there, still nice and shiny. Surely the ride wouldn't need repainting every 12 months, even if it is exposed to water? There are various amusement rides out there that have painted metal components exposed to water, surely they wouldn't all be this labour intensive?

The only bit where that seems to have occurred is around the LSMs, and where the water tended to hit, and that there is dirt/grime build up, which just needs to be washed off rather than repainted. I mean, the turn that goes back inside the building on Superman Escape is quite dirty too, but the rest of the ride looks as good as opening day.

Well the ride was definately painted and the scaff is now gone. I for one applaud WVTP for painting a ride when they easily could have left it (hello Dreamworld). Obviously it wouldn't have been cheap to do and the ride looks good as new again. One point to consider is that although the WnW install is not a prototype of the ride system, it is the first to continously spray it with chlorinated water. They only could have guessed what that would do to the track and maybe they didn't get it quite right. Regardless its awesome that during the time the ride was down anyway they chose to do a complete repaint.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the water is not returning to Surfrider so you won't see any water in the pool. As for the seats we noticed yesterday afternoon that one of them was now spinning pretty good, perhaps this is just a case of new parts that need time to work there way in and start spinning freely again. There is now way if they were now not meant to spin that it would be working as well as it was yesterday. IMO the water did little to add to the ride so its no great loss, hopefully we get the seats back in full swing again because it really is/was a kick ass ride.

Regarding the water, it used to be a fairly powerful jet of it right? (I can't remember exactly) Was the problem so severe that they couldn't add some simple water mist spray? Good to hear it still spins, it definitely helped make the ride. I expected mild rotation like The Claw once it gets going but SurfRider almost whips you around at the crest of the spikes.

• 1 month later...