jakeman398

historic dreamworld

18 posts in this topic

From memory, Casey the Clown was a Tony Laffan character, and I don't think it lastest much beyond when Tony's contract ended. He still takes Casey on the road occasionally. It was a few years ago now, but he performed at the australia day celebrations at penrith regatta centre. I think he and Casey Laura (his current assistant) had taken on a large stage act contract a while ago, but i think it ended recently. Not sure what he's doing now. I'd love to see him open a spellbinding sorcery style show at DW or MW... I always loved the millenium magic show, even though I knew half the secrets. As to the other characters - it seems characters are getting phased out all over - you don't see many characters these days at the parks, except for "face" characters at MW (and scooby). The parks need more wandering characters, IMHO.

thank you alex, here are a couple of versions of belinda brown... one is quite scary :o plus a couple of characters im not to sure of.. sorry for the upside down image

post-2435-1259319098_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1259319122_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1259319147_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1259319170_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1259319191_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1259319232_thumb.jpg

Edited by jakeman398

One of the best theme park characters ever in my opinion (mainly for the WTF factor) was that crazy wizard that used to ride around Dreamworld and blast ACDC music out of his scooter!

Sure, they're unique magical characters that we can remember all these years later, but where's the corporate tie in? Where's the brand leveraging? No wonder Dreamworld is so much more beloved now then it used to be... Seriously, fantastic photos and vid, not sure how I missed this thread in it's first life. If anyone has anything similar be sure to post!

Edited by joz

found an old park guide today!!!!!!!!!!!! to bad it's in Japanese?!?! sorry just scanned them and didn't crop, shouldn't matter though
Amazing how well thought out and planned the park used to look. It was a true theme park. Now you have random ugly out-of-place attractions like AVPX and redline slapped around the place. Not to mention other rides being ripped out and others placed in a themed zone that doesn't match the theme at all

found an old park guide today!!!!!!!!!!!! to bad it's in Japanese?!?!
I think the map is from 1987. Using the low resolution English copy available here, I translated your higher resolution one. Here's a collection of Dreamworld's maps at the Dreamworld Dreamsite. post-2117-1279266256_thumb.jpg
Now you have random ugly out-of-place attractions like AVPX
I wouldn't call AVPX ugly. It's the best attraction they have installed for years. I do agree it doesn't fit the theme for Ocean Parade though - but Adrenalin Alley...?

anyone remember the old high dive show?
I remember it - sort of. Wasn't it just a holiday thing done to Pirates of Penzance style or something like that?

I'm not too sure.... but this is it..and much more: I have more in my room so will post later on. anyone else got anymore photos, preferably of roving characters, show and the tower of terror (old) or

post-2435-1279347886_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1279348604_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1279348621_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1279348649_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1279348669_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1279348688_thumb.jpg

post-2435-1279348707_thumb.jpg

Edited by jakeman398

Just found some footage of the Bushranger show in 1993. I never knew there were two variations of it. Does anyone know when they expanded it to the bigger set with all the buildings (General Store, mine, etc)?