Halloween Fright Nights 2010

themeparkgc

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually saw people cowering on the floor AND running screaming from the mazes. You have to take this for what it is Ryan, a first attempt. Universal have had nearly 20 years to get to the point they are now, I think people going in with a negative attitude hoping to be surprised, which you seem to be are only going to bring down the event. I'd like to take your comments at face value but given the overly critical (and in many cases way unjustified) comments made about the parks on another site, I don't think I can take your opinions as impartial. I am the biggest critic of things like this, and having nothing to do with any mazes or scares, etc, I can say with a very unbiased view that this event is WELL worth the money. As for dead areas, it was raining constant, I was amazed how many people were still in the park after rides closing, rather than concerned with dead areas. Do people really expect the park to go and rig up equipment, in the rain, at the last minute to try and add effects to the rain? I think that's getting a bit silly.

I'd like to take your comments at face value but given the overly critical (and in many cases way unjustified) comments made about the parks on another site, I don't think I can take your opinions as impartial.
The aforementioned thread at Westcoaster.
There should have been a cap on ticket sales. Last year was much better. I wont be back next year.
According to the commercial below tickets were limited. The footage from the commercial seems recycled from last year's commercial with new information about the Saw maze and Freddy's maze.

djrappa: Just to correct you, Hot Tomato was broadcasting live from Main Street. Not a huge deal, but it did take away from the atmosphere. It would have been better if they didn't play mainstream music at a Halloween-themed event... I agree the night was good, but I just wish a few things were improved. Still, it's their first night and it was raining, so I won't take things to heart.

I wasn't expecting them to be rigging up extra effects outside in the rain. There's lights already installed in the roof, why not make them all flash blue for a split second accompanied by a booming clap of thunder every now and again. For even more dramatic effect, have all the lights go dark as if a blackout had occurred. I'm sure the scare actors could work wonders after that.

That's just as involved as putting lights up. You can't just make that sort of lighting equipment do that at will. It has to be programmed into a console, just as sound effects would have to be loaded into the audio playback equipment. You can't do this with guests in the park as you must stop what's currently running. Great suggestion for an effect, just not possible to add in just because it's raining. I was actually talking about a micechat thread, but thanks for the weatcoaster one. I feel that's a very accurate and fair revue (except maybe that photo claiming to be as detailed as it got), more so than the ones posted on here.

Edited by djrappa

I actually saw people cowering on the floor AND running screaming from the mazes. You have to take this for what it is Ryan, a first attempt. Universal have had nearly 20 years to get to the point they are now, I think people going in with a negative attitude hoping to be surprised, which you seem to be are only going to bring down the event. I'd like to take your comments at face value but given the overly critical (and in many cases way unjustified) comments made about the parks on another site, I don't think I can take your opinions as impartial. I am the biggest critic of things like this, and having nothing to do with any mazes or scares, etc, I can say with a very unbiased view that this event is WELL worth the money. As for dead areas, it was raining constant, I was amazed how many people were still in the park after rides closing, rather than concerned with dead areas. Do people really expect the park to go and rig up equipment, in the rain, at the last minute to try and add effects to the rain? I think that's getting a bit silly.
Universal has studio experience which it draws upon. Whilst the Orlando property has been developing HHN for many years, USH abandoned the concept for a good number of years and only recently brought it back (as little as 6years ago). My comments are only impartial in that I have personally experienced higher quality shows and have them as a point of comparison. I had a great time at Fright Nights and it is leading MW Halloween events in a positive direction for the future. I do agree with you that the event is well worth the money; and its progressive pricing structure is a fair reflection of what it offers. I was similarly impressed to see the attendance remain high well into the night, despite adverse conditions and 9pm ride closures. It was the sheer number of people still in park and enjoying themselves at this point of the evening that lead to the comment regarding the further need for more Halloween content. In regards to the MC thread, I have no regrets in highlighting bad show elements that have always frustrated me in Aussie parks, even as an employee. Dreamworld makes point of referencing the fact that they keep all retail stores, even in under performing areas of the park, open during operating hours because that is one of the most commen feedbacks they get from visitors in comparison to the competition down the road. The MC thread has been seen by WVTP management promtply lead to positive improvements within the parks (inside one week). The point of posting photos that present the park in a negative light was to show that by passing off services like this to guests during operation hours is bad publicity as all guest photos have the potential to spread the parks reputation around the globe. Edited by rya86n

Do you actually have any proof of that aside from coincidence?
The report was presented in a negative light as you identified on MC. I am not claiming that changes were made because of this, but they are now more aware of how the properties are presented publically. Themeparksgc you mistake 'grudge' for 'servere disappointment in declining presentation standards' since your opening and later Movieworld's in the early 90's. I do support all the recent park additions, even TOTII is an innovative and creative relaunch for an established ride, certainly reinvigorated my interest in an older attraction at DW -- and to throw this thread back on topic, I do love that MW is investing in movie related mazes and upping the anti on their Halloween offerings (even if they are still to reach potential), it is a move forward, that I hope is repeated beyond the seasonal attractions.

last week i was going through the WC review of universals horror nights and i reckon that we should also rip off some of the "scare tactics" that they do like making a bunch of actors freeze-frame for 5 minutes then on cue all just burst out and scare the crap outta EVERYONE. but maybe add some MJ to it so instead of chasing people ;freeze-frame for a few, then burst out in thriller , THEN scare the crap outta everyone in the process. also instead of just sticking with the things that EVERYBODY knows, they should also go with some thing that not everybody knows , like video games (i had to :P btw just off topic- add me XBL-jjuttup) like heavy rain(good pun... :P) of dead space- the currently scariest game on the market, they could work magic with that, like make the place look like ship i-forgot-her-name and there's necromorphs everywhere they could do it perfectly and make it go throughout all of kids WB and make it like an actual maze so by emitting a small group at a time they'll then have to make their own way around , wrong move and you'll find a necro. IMO it would definitely be a good one just aslong as they don't make a cod one... :P

but it's been raining for the better part of a week. Surely they could have foreseen this and programmed the sound and lighting cues in - and if it wasn't raining then no need to use them.
Wouldn't labour hours be better spent on working on other effects that actually have a 100% chance of being used? Plus weather forecasts are unpredictable. I mean yeah thunder and lightning to go along with the rainy night was something I had in my own mind too when I was there, but it's one of those hindsight things (Like the way you think of a good insult right after an argument)...Now, its not a bad idea or anything, and it would've been cool to make the most of the opportunity, but in reality not practical for the time frame. Perhaps just trust DjRappa on this one since he knows the practicalities of setting up lighting :) Edited by Gazza

I do lighting and if this was to happen on short notice, all that would have to be done is someone going into the photo centre booth and doing it manually so it could be different every time the efect is required, if I was working at Movie World I would just do Halloween lighting anyway (green and orange fast paced etc). Gazza you make a few good points though.

Jakeman you really have no idea what you're talking about. To do something manually would look aweful. As would some kind of green and orange chase effect. Not discussing this any further. This thread is for the discussion of HFN not the ins and outs of lighting programming.

Its my understanding that the Tech crews and lighting director are stretched pretty much as it is, working endlessly across all the parks. MW was pretty much entirely relit in the week leading up to HFN. The lighting looked great, particularly around the ride entrances and Rio where themed lighting isnt generally required.

Excuse me don't tell me I don't know what Im doing - It wouldn't look aweful because if the person employed had any talent in lighting. Orange and Green (and purple) is exactly what movie world was doing :/. The lighting was amazing. Anyways back to fright nights - is anyone able to tell the layout of the freddy maze, after the fright nights are over so there are no spoilers??

Edited by jakeman398

Iv been in Freedy twice, the first time i tried to figure out the layout of the maze and what areas of the show stage have been used and i couldn't figure it out just confused the shit out of me, i have to say these mazes are absolutely fantastic great level of theatrical elements, and detail used. As for the actors really good job by all, Special shout out to the Freedys great job of making it seem like there is only one Freedy in the maze. The scare actors were well picked. As for the rain on Friday night as much as it pissed me off i loved the fact it created another level to the atmosphere, screw thunder and lightning effects. Theres nothing like a little drizzle all night to add to the eery feel. We have to hand it to the team who did such a great job with all the lighting and the feel in the park, especially with only about a week to do it all. I seen crew on friday night charging around like busy bees and it shows all the hard work and effort paid off. Each year the bar gets raised higher and higher, which in the long run gives us something to look forward to next year.

Edited by djrappa

Ive been in Freedy twice, the first time i tried to figure out the layout of the maze and what areas of the show stage have been used and i couldn't figure it out just confused the shit out of me,
I too tried to figure it out. It was a very good use of the inside space. It was easy to follow the layout in and around the racked seating but once it switched back into the old stage space I lost track. There were so many turns in there towards the end, it was dizzying. I did favour the Freddy layout moreso than the other two mazes. I look forward to seeing what light djrappa can shed on it in the future. Edited by rya86n