Parkz Creative Challenge 1 Round 2

mba2012

Im voting for mba2012. I loved it when the show stage was open air and would be great to bring that back again. This would also reopen the possibilities for animals incorporated into the shows. All had awesome ideas, would love to see a combination of a few of the elements.

Four entries, not bad. I think the two stand outs in this round have definitely been Themeparkgc, and MikeMac. Both of which are well rounded, but I think the clear winner is MikeMac.

I'll run through a couple of things that made it stand out for me:

* Preservation of Wild West Fall's sightlines. One of the things that interests me is how well the proposals fit into the park, and in this challenge, how much visual intrusion there would be on WWF. I'm a big fan of how that ride transports you right out of the park, away from everything, and MikeMac's was the only one that wouldn't have impacted on that ride.

* The Star Wars themed ride; while it's outside the brief, I think is an ideal ride for the location proposed. I think that without it the Wild West section of the park does risk being too big, and it solves that problem quite elegantly. It's also the only proposal that gives the park a ride that they can open past 9pm, a big plus in my eyes.

* The food and bev options are simple, and I think the park could do with another place to get a coffee/ get a light snack. I've assumed the cafe themed to a Saloon also sells alcohol on your behalf on that one.

* The Grand Canyon; while I do think the ride choices for the Canyon are a bit on the uninspiring side, the Canyon idea does fit with the Topography of the park reasonably well. From my reading of it it would also hide the Star Wars show building.

* The Lights, Camera, Action Film Experience is a brilliant concept. The fact it also takes up the old western town, which is pretty much dead space is a smart move as well. Sea World makes a ton of money by selling Animal Adventures, and I see this as a potential equivelent for Movie World. My only worry is that redeveloping the Show Stage would cost a ton of money, so it'd need to be established that the market for this type of experience existed, but assuming it did, I think it's a great idea and the Show Stage is the perfect place for it. As an aside; it'd also make a great place for school groups.

The one drawback (This true of most of the entries, and even of the real park, but since I'm doing a detailed critique of this I thought I'd mention it); this doesn't include a logical next step to expand the park in the future. It'd be nice if the 'open end' of the Canyon didn't jut up against the Star Wars show building, so that it would be a simple matter of removing the Rockin' Tug to be able to expand around the back of Lethal. As it is, to expand you'd have to get rid of Wagon Wheel, which could turn out to be a popular ride.

Overall though, I think it is the standout entry by a fair margin, and is something that if it was built, I'd be applauding. I think it's ambitious, but realistic, and could easily be accomplished over a couple of years. The proposal also opens up new untapped revenue streams, and pulls guests down towards that end of the park without pissing off the neighbours, something which is badly needed. Well done, look forward to seeing what you submit for the next challenge. Just in case you missed it, my vote is for MikeMac, with themeparkGC in a commendable second.

Thanks for the comments about my submission. I had thought of future expansion of the park in that area and decided that the access point would be straight ahead of the bridge over the grand canyon. The path would circle behind The Wagon Wheel until it reaches the open space behind Lethal Weapon. I would remove the temporary barrier directly behind The Wagon Wheel to make it feel open. Various Shops/cafes/activities would be constructed along the pathway to encourage people into the area. As a further thought, the new path could provide a link (new entry) to the studio administration building to create the appropriate entry for the people wanting to access the function centre after hours. So many options.....!!!!! :)

I am using Corel Draw X4. It is similar to photoshop.

I'd say more similar to something halfway between Illustrator and InDesign. I'm running Corel X3 at the moment..How did you do the trees out of interest? Joz has pretty much hit the nail on the head for MikeMacs entry, and that's my favorite too. I don't think its a bad thing to have a Star Wars themed ride (Or any other for that matter). if it was all wild west themed it would be too much (And to be honest, I reckon one wild west themed flat max is plently) I don't think the Grand Canyon skywalk is realistic though, because it would barely be that high above the ground, even with a really deep excavation. ThemeparksGC is close behind...I like the idea of a woodie, and the ride choices are all good. In particular the Windseeker is a good choice. Not just a boring spin and spew, but something I'd make the effort for, After that mba...The mine train laucher sounds good, but the splash battle is unneccesary, because there is already one at SW, you can ride it with a super pass/vip pass. And to be honest, I'd rather if new attractions on the gold coast were stuff we hadn't seen before, since we get so few rides in Aus to begin with, so every single one has really gotta count. Getting back to the coaster...its either inverting, or it's not. Coasters with only one inversion to me seem kinda pointless (Eg Cheetah Hunt), since if its going to be a looper it should be a few to really impress the thill seekers. Having only one inversion is less impressive, and the fact it goes upside down once immediatley excludes a section of the market that don't like to go upside down.

It's a bit complicated to describe as there are transparancies, shadows and various colours to use so I have attached a diagram to help explain the process. I am also happy to send the the corel file, I already tried to upload a copy to this reply but the uploader wouldn't allow me attach a '.cdr' file. Let me know if you would like it!!!

post-29082-0-80211500-1328565041_thumb.j

For me it's definitely themeparkgc. In my opinion he has some of the best mainstream ideas and presents everything really well. I have to admit though I was staggered when I opened up MikeMac's proposal... the graphics are fantastic! Really professional looking. The trouble is I think the ride selection for the Canyon is pretty terrible. I don't think any of you could say you'd be happy if MW chose those rides for a new themed area. So themeparkgc is my fave!

I hope people vote for the idea they like best, not how its presented. Not saying you only won for your presentation, MikeMac, you're a worthy winner, but its just something for voters to take into consideration. Just for future reference (again, I'm not saying it happened in this case as MikeMac had good ideas).

Edited by alex_1