Zoomerang (The Demon) up for sale again !

Much as I would love to see Demon back on Aussie shores, I don't support the idea of bringing it to Aussie World. That said - I want to take to task those people who are ranting about it being worse than lethal weapon. The major issue with LW is the harnesses - for most people, the enormous foam-rubber wings that surround your head cause the headbanging, with the track doing the rest for you. Demon does not have this type of restraint. Sure, it's vekoma and they're known for the roughness of the track, but I never had a problem with Demon, and most people I know who have ridden both LW and Demon would rate LW lower. A boomerang is an old concept. Decades old. Sure, it isn't new, but it is a fun, enjoyable (and extremely compact) attraction that delivers a large bang for it's buck. Sure it also had lots of problems at Wonderland, but some of that was down to maintenance, or lack thereof. I've ridden 2 different boomerangs in my time and cannot complain about the experience. In my time working at Wonderland, I never missed an opportunity to throw on some civvies and high-tail it into the park for a few quick lunchtime rides (or finishing the afternoon after doing a breaks shift). Of course, it's an opinion, but i'd like to know how many of those touting this attraction as being 'rougher than LW' have actually ridden both - considering the majority population of this forum are from QLD, and most of those too young to have been to world expo (and been tall enough at the time). If someone is bored enough - go through the Wonderland threads that we used to have on here, and see how many people bitched about Demon being a rough ride? I've said before, i don't have major issues with LW, but 3-4 rides in a row is my limit. I once did demon for 2 hours straight on a quiet weekday afternoon... Again, just my opinion - but i'd like to know where all this Boomerang-hate is coming from?

I think it comes down to people on these websites know that there are lots of them. I think that's pretty much it. I'd like to see AW do better than a Boomerang, but if they got one I reckon it'd be a good ride for them. I've been on 4 or 5 boomerangs, and they're prefectly fine rides. I don't really enjoy going backwards through the loop, but I don't mind it either. I wouldn't travel for a boomerang, but I totally get why there are so many of them; they're cheap, and in the right park, very marketable. AW could do much worse. Also Alex; when Wonderland's other big coaster was Bush Beast, no one is going to complain about how rough Demon was :P

I love the demon to death and had ridden it to death but as much love I have for it, it's now too old if any park in Australia wants a boomerang it would be best to buy it new any ride over 20 years is a big risk even more so one that has alot of travel under its belt so in truth it should be time to say goodbye and thanks for the memories and send it to the scrap heap 1988-2012

I forgot just how awesome GCI Big Fun looks. After watching the video again, I agree it would be the perfect addition to Aussie World, though I still think Aussie World would be more likely to go for an looping coaster as, like I said, the GP love going upside down. Also, they wouldn't market it as Australias first wooden coaster as technically Australia already has 3 wooden coasters, and one of them is already at Aussie World. As much as I'd love to see a GCI Big Fun at Aussie World, I just can't see it happening.

Edited by alex_1

In my opinion, a great second hand ride for Aussie World would be a Schwarzkopf Looping Star. Its cheap, compact and a fairly fun and it features a loop which the GP always love, and AW could market as their big new thrill ride as, despite the fact it'd be a small coaster, would dwarf anything Aussie World has currently. I'd love to see a Gerstlauer Eurofighter at Aussie World but it may be a bit too expensive for the park. And Gazza, I meant the combination of being inverted 6 times combined with the fact it goes backwards would make it seem OMFG amazing.

So why is it when you go to theme parks with Boomerangs, it's often the least popular coaster? Because they are OMFG Crap, not OMFG Amazing. Edited by Gazza

I like that this thread turned into Aussie World related hehe. OK so here's the thing. Aussie World would be better off, instead of putting in 5 mediocre rides, putting in a STAR ATTRACTION + 1or 2 mediocre rides. The star attraction of course being the GCI Big Fun :D. And lol @ the person in here saying the Wild Mouse coasters are considered wooden coasters. I don't think so honey boo boo.

So why is it when you go to theme parks with Boomerangs, it's often the least popular coaster? Because they are OMFG Crap, not OMFG Amazing.

They really are - great example Six Flags New Orleans which had 5 coasters from memory but most people said they the boomerang was the worst and/or they didn't ride it at all.

Wild Mouse coasters are considered wooden coasters. I don't think so honey boo boo

Depends what your form of categorisation is. Eg if it's simply Wooden v Steel, then obvs it's Wooden, that's why it appears on the Wooden Mitch Hawker Coaster Poll ballot rather than the steel one. But if you like to think of coasters in terms of styles (Eg Floorless, 4D, hyper, wooden, mouse, Eurofighter etc) then yes a wooden mouse is thought of differently to a full sized woodie like the one at Luna Park.

^ That makes sense how? The general public have no idea that the flume ride is a second hand ride from fun fairs, so if they did up the Boomerang why would that be a bad idea as opposed to building a new Boomerang? I think it would be a bad idea investing so much money on a NEW Boomerang considering its an aged concept that was first seen in Aus 25 years ago.

So why is it when you go to theme parks with Boomerangs, it's often the least popular coaster? Because they are OMFG Crap, not OMFG Amazing.

My God do you even read my post? Carolina Cobra is a popular ride, even amongst coaster enthusiasts as its a SMOOTH RIDE. My point was with NEW RESTRAINTS it could be a fun ride.

I liked the ad when it moved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqiS2eaGgwE

Me too, discovered that ad probably about 6months ago. Pretty good advertising for what is today a rough old coaster. There is also a Huss Pirate ship for sale, but I am wondering if it is a model with the propulsion motors underneath the ride car, cause I know AW's Pirate Ship (Space Shaker AFAIK) has the propulsion motor above the car (attached to the arm at the top). I know SW had the motors underneath the 'boat'.