Queensland Government Launches "Theme Park Capital" Campaign

Bmull19

I want to be clear I was never trained as a BB op. Those experienced operators like Daniel or Bussy would be the ones to ask. I only ever hung out after my shift finished (while still in uniform) with some of my friends in Ops and they occasionally let me push the buttons... they of course would tell me when what to push, so there wasn't any danger of accidentally screwing something up.

I also want to be clear that this wasn't 'manual' operation as such - the block system was still in full operation - the train simply would not advance until the operator was ready for it to do so - which was signalled by the operator holding the button - also a dead-man switch in a way as if you stopped holding the button, the train would stop wherever it was.

I am pretty sure from memory that if train 2 came into brake run, and station block was occupied by train one, holding down the brake release did nothing until the station block was clear. If you continued holding the brake release and the dispatch button down (holding both brake sets open), as soon as station block cleared, the brake run would release train 2.

I'm also fairly certain that the station block would not allow train 2 to exit station block until train 1 had cleared the lift hill block. I'm not sure on the block arrangements between lift hill and brake run. I know that the trim brake could potentially have been programmed as another block, but from memory, I don't think train 2 would dispatch until train 1 had entered the brake run.

As far as I know, if it was run in FULL MANUAL mode (which was generally only used by maintenance to add or remove train 2), the blocking system was totally overridden. The block indicators would still light up to indicate where the trains were, but it would not stop you from causing a collision (i think it did have an alarm to warn of one though).

Thats as far as I could remember with the limited info I have, and it could be incredibly wrong. I'll look to Bussy for confirmation. If it eventuates into a nice little discussion we can always split it off from the thread, but I think the thread topic has gone as far as it could given the subject matter, so why not let it devolve? ;)

Edited by AlexB

Just browsing the theme park capital website I found it interesting that Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary got the #1 most popular "things to do", Dreamworld only made #7, and Tangalooma Dolphin feeding was #8 (Isn't Moreton Island part of Brisbane not the GC?), the rest of the is as follows, I found the order rather interesting myself -

#1 - Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary

#2 Movie World

#3 Sea World

#4 Tamborine Skywalk

#5 Infinity Attraction

#6 Natural Bridge rainforest Circuit

#7 Dreamworld

#8 Tangalooma Dolphin Feeding

#9 Wet 'n' Wild

#10 Go Karting Gold Coast

I do agree with the list. It proves that Dreamworld really has gone downhill and is currently the worst theme park (I count Wet n Wild as a water park) on the Gold Coast which is very bad since it is also Australia's largest theme park so they should be the best.

Just because a park is big doesn't mean its automatically good. But I do agree that Dreamworld deserves 7th place.

I saw the ad during the V8 broadcast, and the bottom left of the screen had the website " themeparkcapital.com "

Except the site is actually " themeparkcapital.com.au "

I'm not sure if that was overlaid by the V8SC team or if its a misprint on the ad, but either way someone's head is gunna roll...

I saw the ad during the V8 broadcast, and the bottom left of the screen had the website " themeparkcapital.com "

Except the site is actually " themeparkcapital.com.au "

I'm not sure if that was overlaid by the V8SC team or if its a misprint on the ad, but either way someone's head is gunna roll...

Yeah, I saw that add as well and tried to visit the site.

• 3 weeks later...

Honest question - but where do Dreamworld have the space to put in a blockbuster without resorting to the carpark, or taking over Big Brother area that has been signed on with Ch9 for another couple years?

Blue Lagoon comes to mind - but anywhere else would impact on the AWE... What could they fit into the BL space?

I guess they could use the overflow carpark - it's quite large and it's rarely used. The only problem is it's a bit out of the way

Just browsing the theme park capital website I found it interesting that Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary got the #1 most popular "things to do", Dreamworld only made #7, and Tangalooma Dolphin feeding was #8 (Isn't Moreton Island part of Brisbane not the GC?), the rest of the is as follows, I found the order rather interesting myself -

#1 - Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary

#2 Movie World

#3 Sea World

#4 Tamborine Skywalk

#5 Infinity Attraction

#6 Natural Bridge rainforest Circuit

#7 Dreamworld

#8 Tangalooma Dolphin Feeding

#9 Wet 'n' Wild

#10 Go Karting Gold Coast

That is actually stupid. Currimbin Wildlife Sancturay isn't that good and Dreamworld is better than Movieworld and Seaworld

That is actually stupid. Currimbin Wildlife Sancturay isn't that good and Dreamworld is better than Movieworld and Seaworld

This is the problem with this list they've made; It's their personal opinion. I think MW is better than Dreamworld, but you think Dreamworld should be on top. Its your's opinion, and I'm not going to say you're wrong. This list was only made so that visitors that venture to the coast have a better knowledge of local attractions, such as Infinity and Currimbin.

Long story short, we should stop complaining about the list and focus on the rest of the campaign

Edited by Zanstabar

I don't think that the track is bad, but the theming is. The only issue with ride is how uncomfortable it is. At some parts it throws you about a lot and there isn't much leg room for people over 6 foot. I think they just need to give it a new car, name, theme and repaint. That would make it much better. It has been open for over 10 years and I don't think they have done anything to it (maybe painted it once).

yes, the restraints are really annoying as well

they could use the lapbars like they have on the Green Lantern Coaster, those are really safe and still comfortable

i read about how they used to have things under the queue floor that made it vibrate

it's quite popular, but they need to give it a big revamp