What makes a good ride?

BigKev

I never actually learnt Arkham Asylum as an operator, but I did learn Lethal Weapon as my first ride before the changeover. I don't see why the harness would have to be unlocked to send the train again but it would 100% have to be rechecked by the operator before dispatching for a 2nd time. Weather this is procedure or not is a different story. General rule with Village Roadshow, re-rides are not permitted on any of the attractions within the park. Technically even on Wild West Falls if there is no one in the queue you are meant to get out of the boat and go through the line again (or the red door leading to the old pre-show room)

I know back in the Lethal days, and assuming it's the same with Arkham you had to disembark the train and either go around the queue or through the little gate at the front of the OCC. It really depends on the supervisor too as to weather they make you walk the whole way around as well.

I guess I would think theming makes a difference on a ride that is good without being great in terms of actual ride like maybe Superman?

No, the reason Superman is good is because of its ride experience. It has strong airtime, a powerful launch, and in all is a very intense ride. The theming is a bonus.

And I'd like to disagree with rides like Black Mamba only being good for their theming - I liked Black Mamba for its batshit crazy intensity (which is rarely mentioned), again the theming was a bonus.

Better examples for theming enhancing a coaster would be more for indoor coasters, such as Scooby Doo and Revenge of the Mummy. Scooby Doo would be a fairly standard wild mouse without the theming, but with the theming it becomes a great one. Revenge of the Mummy would be a fun launched coaster without the theming, but with the theming it becomes a full and exciting ride, and made my top 5 steel coasters.

Edited by alex_1

General rule with Village Roadshow, re-rides are not permitted on any of the attractions within the park. Technically even on Wild West Falls if there is no one in the queue you are meant to get out of the boat and go through the line again (or the red door leading to the old pre-show room)

I know back in the Lethal days, and assuming it's the same with Arkham you had to disembark the train and either go around the queue or through the little gate at the front of the OCC. It really depends on the supervisor too as to weather they make you walk the whole way around as well.

Thats interesting.

If you cast your mind back to the VIP Gold 'early entry' days, when 1 or 2 rides opened just for gold pass holders - i remember doing something between 8 and 13 cycles on Arkham. I never once stepped off the loading platform - although I did change seats... So op staff only checked my harness, and the one i'd just vacated... no gates or re-queue needed.

I was fairly sure that the VIP gold early entry days finished before Arkham Asylum reopened if i'm not mistaken. I could be wrong but yeah, that isn't procedure to say the least but you likely had a supervisor that didn't seem to mind. Personally I don't see the problem with it, but some supervisors are very strict with every procedure no matter how silly it seems (but hey, that's their job I guess)

In regards to what's above from my experiences they let you re-ride if there is no queue on every ride except for superman and Scooby due to the 2 platforms. They do need to re check your harnesses though. On a dead day recently I got 3 circuits of Arkham then when a few people showed up they just put me back behind the gates and gave me last preference on seats.

It is possible to reride AA although at no time -with people riding- is this technically permitted by Operations or for that matter accepted practice by the ride manufacturer's to do so. I am saying this simply because this information may be interesting to you Enthusiasts and also to suggest if you ever experience this for yourself that you consider notifying Guest Relations as it may be risking Guest safety!

The Controller / Supervisor has 3 switches and a launch button. The switches are for the restraints,gates and the platform. They sit at a '12o'clock' position. Turn to one way, harnesses lock/gates/platform open/lowers. Turn the other way, restraints open/gates close/platform raises. The station Attendant also has an 'ok to launch' button. This will only do it's job when gates are closed with all harnesses locked. Not until this button is pressed can the Controller dispatch the car (button becomes illuminated) - and of course they can't do that without harnesses first being locked and gates closed

As with all modern rides, however big or small, there are two different operating modes; Manual & Automatic. Manual mode is for use outside of operating hours and mainly used by Maintenance for isolating and testing specific blocks and functions. Just like in a car, Manual mode allows intentional control of a ride.whilst Automatic is designed for live operation.Less so, it is also used by Operations for safety testing as well as to manipulate specific areas during breakdown / Estops.

Modern rollercoasters require power to unlock guest safety restraints, regardless of manual/auto status. It is power that sets you free from your position - not the other way around. This is truly the ultimate safety advantage of our modern safe ride technology

With all this in mind, if you were to re-ride passengers on AA:

- Train returns to station

- Platform Attendant holds Ok button

- Supervisor holds platform down

- Supervisor holds dispatch button down

- Gates obviously remain closed

- Power is not returned to harnesses as cannot be released until platform is up and switches tripped

- Harnesses remain locked as a result

- Train is re-dispatched, barely stopping the car

The issue here is the ride is being forced somewhat in to a manual function, whilst still operating in Automatic mode and therefore is something outside of it's warranted Operation. Like I said earlier, if you ever experience this for yourself you are better to report it. According to the the ride's design it would be improbable that anything could go wrong. Likewise, this would outside of it's original design and therefore foolish to practice

In regards to what's above from my experiences they let you re-ride if there is no queue on every ride except for superman and Scooby due to the 2 platforms. They do need to re check your harnesses though. On a dead day recently I got 3 circuits of Arkham then when a few people showed up they just put me back behind the gates and gave me last preference on seats.

I have had same with AA (LW at the time). With Scooby Doo, if it is exceptionally quiet, they will sometimes let you go through the door directly back to the loading area to get straight back on.

The only rides (current) that they do not allow this is Superman and JL3D.

In regards to mickey's comment that's actually not what happened. Below is the sequence that actually happened:

1. Train arrives back from 1st ride.

2. Platform comes up

3. Attendant checks just our 2 harnesses again (They aren't released btw)

4. Controller flicks the gates switch so the quarter open then close again. (Most likely to satisfy the computer)

5. Platform goes down.

6. Both hit the dual buttons and the train is re-dispatched.

Edited by nitromefans

In regards to mickey's comment that's actually not what happened. Below is the sequence that actually happened:

1. Train arrives back from 1st ride.

2. Platform comes up

3. Attendant checks just our 2 harnesses again (They aren't released btw)

4. Controller flicks the gates switch so the quarter open then close again. (Most likely to satisfy the computer)

5. Platform goes down.

6. Both hit the dual buttons and the train is re-dispatched.

Yeah... that's a breach of operating procedure for certain. The only 2 attractions (not including children's rides) that you are allowed to have guests stay in the seats for a 2nd ride without disembarking is RoadRunner and Wild West Falls. Scooby Doo you shouldn't even be allowed through the fire exit door between the 2 platforms as it's very easy to hit someone as you open it as you don't always know who or what is on the other side. It's why operators / staff using that door always KNOCK before opening it to make sure people can hear it and move etc.

Mickey, did you leave before the switch from LW to Arkham? As I know the harness unlocking procedure has changed since the refurb as individual seats can now be locked / unlocked from the OCC instead of a global harness unlock system that was on Lethal. Of course they can unlock them all at once though, but it's main advantage is if a single seat needs to be unlocked for whatever reason they can do it without having to re-check the whole train.

I have had same with AA (LW at the time). With Scooby Doo, if it is exceptionally quiet, they will sometimes let you go through the door directly back to the loading area to get straight back on.

The only rides (current) that they do not allow this is Superman and JL3D.

I've never seen scoobydoo without at least a 45 minute queue (except for straight after the park opens). When was this when you saw this?

One of the things that made that ride for me was seeing my friends face when he was told to sit next to one of the 'out of order' seats.

It kinda turned into a good theming accessory haha.

I've never seen scoobydoo without at least a 45 minute queue (except for straight after the park opens). When was this when you saw this?

I remember a 15-20 minute wait on a Saturday in the Summer holidays at about lunch. Perhaps this was a freak occurance, but I'd be surprised if it hit 45 minutes on an off peak weekday.

Didn't see it... Did it... A couple of months back on a weekday and around 4pm...

Frequently have 15-20 minute waits on the weekends when we head down as well...

We specifically stay away from the parkz during school holidays...

I don't know why but Scooby always seems to have a displayed wait time that is well above the actual wait time... such as displaying 45 minutes, but only being 15...

The good thing about scooby is the queue is constantly moving because of the constant load, so it doesn't feel as slow as waiting for a full circuit coaster running only one train.