VRTP Renewals

Brad2912

From the horses mouth (well, as close as I could get):

- I visited Movie World today and asked about this issue at the place you get your photos taken for passes which is just to the right as you enter the park. Their response was "We just take photos. You'd have to ask at Guest servces"

- So I went to Guest services (twice actually because the first time it was chok-a-block full of people wanting to hire strollers). The lady there initially tried to tell me I would have to call the call centre. When I pointed out that I was actually standing right there in the place that the call centre was supposed to be able to tell me about, she called the call centre herself (but of course on a direct line so no messing around).

Apparently, the response from the call centre (via Guest Services) was:

- Yes, they will have Gold Passes next year, but there is no promotion on them at the moment (well, I wasn't asking for a promotion, just whether the Gold Pass would exist)!

- Yes, the Discovery Passport does include Carnivale.

- She also suggested that maybe there might be a promotion at some point for those who take advantage of the current offer to be able to upgrade their VIP pass into a Gold Pass. But that sounded like pure conjecture.

So I got there in the end, I think. Take what you will from that because the staff in the park don't have a clue. I don't blame them for that, but clearly they need more training and management support. To have guests ask a very simple question about a product the company offers, and for staff to tell the guest to go to another part of the park, and for the staff at the other part of the park to tell them to call a call centre (something I detest doing) is not good enough!

This is another reason I want to pay more for my annual pass. So staff can be properly selected, trained, empowered, and supported to do their jobs. ANY member of staff in the park should be able to easily answer such questions, including the cleaners, security, catering, retail, anyone. It's essential training!

So rant over, but it sounds like (if the information I was given is correct, which I'm still not sure of) then there will be gold passes, and based on previous experience they probably will be cheaper than the Discovery Passport.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach. If Gold VIP passes become available before my current one expires, I'll get one. If not, I'll get a Discovery Passport.

Edited by pushbutton

For someone who is constantly banging on about other people's rudeness, it sounds like you were quite rude to the guest services folk.

I also find your expectation that ANY staff member in the park should be able to answer questions about ticketing offerings purely ABSURD.

Ride operations cast members have a lot of things to remember to ensure your SAFETY... and you want them to be able to tell any guest that might ask what ticketing options are planned for two months away?

You want cleaners (who are typically the bottom of the ladder in a park and paid the lowest too - note i'm not saying this is the case in MW, only generalising) to be able to do the job of guest relations?

NEWSFLASH - Guest Relations staff are the only people who should know the answers to those questions... However there's something you've missed here - you were asking about a multi-park ticket... and this is where multi-park staff (such as the call centre, or the website) come in... because the staff at each park cannot possibly be expected to know everything about every park within the company.

I would never expect a park photographer to be able to tell me (reliably) whether the park would offer a premium ticket commencing in 2 months time. I'd expect them to know the showtimes for the street and stage performances on the day... I'd expect them to have an idea of which characters were appearing when... and i'd expect them to be able to tell me where (and when) I could collect my photos, and roughly how much a single print would be.

I'd expect most park staff to be able to point me to the nearest toilet, locker, and major attractions...

I wouldn't expect anyone except guest relations to be able to talk to me about ticketing, and for group wide ticketing, i'd expect the local park guest relations to know, but totally understand if a yet-to-be-released product was as-yet unknown to park staff, and totally understand if they would suggest calling the call centre to find out further info. I'd also totally understand if the call centre wasn't able to answer these questions yet - the company may not WANT people to know that it was coming yet - perhaps because they're planning on NOT offering free VIP gold upgrades this time around, and hoping to get most of the 'budget-passholders' onto a regular VIP before upcharging for VIP Gold like they used to.

All I can picture is a petulant enthusiast stomping his foot in the middle of guest relations about how THEY should be able to tell him what the company is planning to do about tickets BEFORE the company has decided to release that info to the public.

What makes you so special?

Why shouldn't all staff know about the park they're in? I don't care if you're the CEO or doing work experience scrubbing toilets, the phrase 'I don't know I only work here' isn't good enough. At least the photo staff were able to send you in the right direction, and didn't just want to give up on it like Guest Services did.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say he wasn't being rude to guest services, but wanted an answer to his question. Fair enough. I think the real answer is 'There will be a gold pass but no one knows anything about it, because no one in marketing has spun the big wheel that determines what perks are included and how much it'll cost yet.'

I agree 50/50 with you Joz. I think the staff should have some idea of what's going on, but I wouldn't expect a nurse at the first-aid centre to be able to tell you about the future of the gold pass.

Also, not trying to get up you, Push, but why didn't you give the call centre a ring first? That would've been my first port of call with any inquiries.

I think I'll pass on this upgrade offer. Happy to wait for a deal that I am sure includes the nighttime events, even if it ends up costing $50 more.

I feel like a good price point for an annual pass is usually around 2-2.5x the daily ticket price, so $160-200 for the Village parks. It's somewhat bizarre that the $75 renewal offer is cheaper than a single day's admission, I honestly have no idea how they expect to make a profit from that.

AlexB think you've gone off a little early on this one...

I'm with Joz, everyone in a customer facing/interactive role should know basic info, or at least know who would have that info to get the customer what they need asap. I don't think expecting that means Push or anyone thinks they're special or better than the next person, it's an expectation of good service, which is paramount in a 'service' based industry such as theme Parks!

If I'm looking for something in big w Id expect I could ask anyone I come across in the store for that product and they could take me/point me in the right direction regardless of if it was the department they worked in.

Edited by Brad2912

Why shouldn't all staff know about the park they're in? I don't care if you're the CEO or doing work experience scrubbing toilets, the phrase 'I don't know I only work here' isn't good enough. At least the photo staff were able to send you in the right direction, and didn't just want to give up on it like Guest Services did.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say he wasn't being rude to guest services, but wanted an answer to his question. Fair enough. I think the real answer is 'There will be a gold pass but no one knows anything about it, because no one in marketing has spun the big wheel that determines what perks are included and how much it'll cost yet.'

As I said - i'd expect all staff to be able to tell me where to go to find "x". They should know the park they work in backwards and forwards. I wouldn't expect every cast member to know the admission cost of every adult, pensioner, child, group combo ticket, add on Outback Spectacular upgrade and future park ticketing offering. If every cast member was expected to know all this, then we could do away with guest relations and just let each and every cast member handle that role.

They SHOULD know the CURRENT offering (which would include the current VIP renewal offer) but as at that time the Gold upgrade option hadn't been announced - why should any of them be REQUIRED to know. They might have received a cast newsletter suggesting it was coming, but as you said - if noone in marketing has spun the big wheel - how can all park staff be expected to know these things?

AlexB think you've gone off a little early on this one...

I'm with Joz, everyone in a customer facing/interactive role should know basic info, or at least know who would have that info to get the customer what they need asap. I don't think expecting that means Push or anyone thinks they're special or better than the next person, it's an expectation of good service, which is paramount in a 'service' based industry such as theme Parks!

If I'm looking for something in big w Id expect I could ask anyone I come across in the store for that product and they could take me/point me in the right direction regardless of if it was the department they worked in.

I think you've misunderstood me, and for the first part of my response - see above what i've said to Joz.

I expect all cast could tell you where to find "x" in the park, but when it comes to ticketing enquiries (and more importantly - ticketing not yet advertised) all i would expect any cast member to do would be to direct me to guest services, and whilst i'd expect guest services to be able to tell me, i would be totally understanding if a GROUP ticket option not yet advertised was as yet unknown to them - in which case directing people to the call centre is the next logical step which is precisely what was done.

As for Big W - would you pick an item off a shelf, hand it to the nearest staff member, and tell them to put it on layby for you? Would you ask the guy working in sporting goods for a refund? Would you take the latest PS4 game to the girl in the fitting rooms and ask her to unlock the case? No. Because in that store there are certain people who do those things, and so long as those staff directed guided held your hand and walked you to the appropriate layby customer service desk entertainment counter, they'd have done their job.

I'm not aware of the background of the 'pass renewals' staff, but i'm fairly certain they aren't your typical cast member. I would expect they're either casual staff hired on for the job, or admin staff temporarily assigned to processing passes. they'd be shown how to process the pass purchase, take the photo, enter the member info and print the pass out. I'd hope they'd be 'fully inducted' into the park, but if they're in desperate need of those staff quickly, they'll shortcut to get things sorted. So long as those guys know how to direct you to guest services (which they apparently do) i'd be (frustrated, but) happy with that.

He said he asked questions about annual passes at the annual pass processing area and then guest services. These particular employees absolutely should know the answers to these questions.

Every year VRTP go about the pass renewal process with uncertainty, mixed messages and last minute changes. The issue here is obviously not with the front line staff who don't know the answer, it's that an answer has not been properly communicated within the organisation to those that should know, let alone other employees that might encounter queries.

Let's give the antagonism a rest... it's really not fun.

Fair point Richard, and as i've said a couple of times, i'd expect guest services to know these things. You rightly point out that an annual pass processing centre should know these answers too.

My only issue with that part was that it came across as rude. As Joz said though - benefit of the doubt, and i'll take that one on board.

The bulk of my discussion, however related to this:

ANY member of staff in the park should be able to easily answer such questions, including the cleaners, security, catering, retail, anyone. It's essential training!

Do you expect a toilet cleaner, burger cook, security guard, flashy crap seller etc. to be able to tell guests whether the park will release a premium annual pass offering at some time in the future - especially before the spinning of the Marketing Departments Mystery Wheel?

Lol!

I'd love to be the one to spin that wheel. In fact, they could even make it a new once-a-year attraction and and a guest who wins a competition could get to spin the wheel as a prize!

I agree 50/50 with you Joz. I think the staff should have some idea of what's going on, but I wouldn't expect a nurse at the first-aid centre to be able to tell you about the future of the gold pass.

Also, not trying to get up you, Push, but why didn't you give the call centre a ring first? That would've been my first port of call with any inquiries.

Because I detest call centres. Can't stand them. "Your call is very important to us. Press 1 for this, press 2 for that......".

No thanks. If I'm actually at Movie World I expect to be able to just walk up to staff and ask.

Edited by pushbutton

Ok guys well I asked the same questions on facebook and got another answer which adds a bit more useful information.

"Gold is not currently available but we have something new and exciting coming very soon that will include the benefits of the Gold Magic Pass, plus much more. To ensure you receive the best price we recommend that you take advantage of the current VIP Magic Pass offer. We will contact you soon with more information about how to get your additional benefits."

This seems to contradict what others have said above about Gold being available later as an upgrade to a standard VIP pass. But maybe the "something new and exciting coming very soon" is what was being referred to rather than Gold VIP passes per se.

Either way, it now appears safe to say that we SHOULD take advantage of the current offer, and then something will be available later as an upgrade to include night events. Whether they call that "Gold VIP Pass" or something entirely different doesn't really matter.

So with that, I'm off to buy mine right now!

I have it confirmed in writing that the 'additonal night events' will be an add-on pack, so you'll need to have a vip Magic pass first. For those interested the website LivingSocial is doing magic passes + unlimited access to Paradise Country for $79.99 - and buy 3 get 1 free

Edited by Brad2912

LOLZ if the night events aren't an "upgrade to your pass" but merely just a cheaper price.

We've all been screaming for the park not to give this stuff away - we can't very well get grumpy at them now that they've decided to make it tiered staggered premium pricing for the same stuff.

I think they finally realised that people will buy a VIP pass without being given $70+ of extra stuff... oh - except the free ticket for a friend... whoops.

I don't think night time events should be in the base ticket, but I don't think the peak of school holidays should be either. The $70/$90 price point is something the market expects now, so rather than get rid of it all together, take away some days so the park is more tollerable on peak days, and hopefully less empty on quiet days.

I don't think night time events should be in the base ticket, but I don't think the peak of school holidays should be either. The $70/$90 price point is something the market expects now, so rather than get rid of it all together, take away some days so the park is more tollerable on peak days, and hopefully less empty on quiet days.

I wouldn't mind that, but I'd like the option of an upgraded pass which does include peak days.

^ Oh yeah of course! Somewhere around the $110-$130 seems about right, then $150 gets you all that and night events plus some other crap. They'd take a hit in the first year of course but as it is now they're taking a hit, they should at least take a hit in a way that sets then up for the future better. I also don't see the point in doing it like a season pass. We don't have seasons, we're just open, so how about just making it 12 months so you don't have to do some crazy discounts in the back half of the year?

Edited by joz

I've got no objections to the $75 pricetag on the passes. But I absolutely agree that this new lowered pricing could have reintroduced restricted peak season in a palatable way, which is so clearly needed not only for crowd control but would be a no-brainer for increasing revenue.

The issue when they first introduced $99 passes with lockout periods was that idiots who hadn't read the terms got angry when they weren't allowed on. The solution is nothing more than a very clear box they have to tick when they purchase the passes, a verbal confirmation when they process the pass, big bold "THIS PASS IS NOT VALID IN PEAK PERIODS" written on the pass and then flexible and reasonably affordable upgrade option.

How long until we see paid parking subsidizing these ridiculous low ticket prices? They've surely reached the limit of cutting costs and raising prices inside the parks. (Someone quote me on that when I'm proven wrong.)

Absolutely agree re: the night events. Originally - they were only available on the Gold pass which made it worth the upgrade... then they cheapened the gold pass and began giving it away.

I share Richard's sentiments regarding their previous failed attempt at lockout days. As far as I was concerned, the lockout period was clearly spelled out for me when I purchased a pass that year. I couldn't believe it when they backflipped on it in the middle of peak season.

Disney has 'tiered' lockouts - different days are available to you depending on what pass you purchase - pay more, get more - simple as that.

I've got no objections to the $75 pricetag on the passes.

I do... when an annual pass costs the same or less than a single day ticket, and they also give you a single day ticket when you renew, who in their right mind would buy a single day pass? (obvious tourist exceptions). If it's going to be a similar price to a day ticket, it needs to be restricted by postcode or something.

I recently went to Ocean Park and inadvertently bought 'HK Resident' tickets from a 7/Eleven. I realised my mistake before I got to the gate and had the tickets exchanged at the ticket window - it only cost about HK$25 more (+/- A$5) and I was fine with it. I didn't attempt to use them at the gate so I have no idea whether I would have been asked to prove residency or not.

The way I see it -

• Regular day ticket price remains the same
  • Short term passes (the 14 day combo tickets etc) remain the same
  • Standard VIP should be around $100, but limited to SE QLD postcodes and subject to lockout dates at Easter, Christmas and most of January
  • The same ticket should be about $110-120 for people outside those postcodes (which is still excellent value)
  • Gold should be up around $150 - with no lockout dates
  • Night events (and they need to specify Carnivale, as well as WC and FN) should be an optional upgrade to your Gold pass for say another $50
  • Discovery Passport should sit at around $250, include everything the upgraded Gold ticket has, plus Food and Merch discounts, and special seasonal offers (eg: BOGOF at Rick's in March or BTGOF at AOS in August)

I don't believe they should make the 'night upgrade' part of a wider deal - people may buy the upgrade for other things (such as no lockouts) which then entitles them to 3 night events which they may or may not attend - making it hard to account for attendance at those night events - ie: there may be 100,000 people entitled to attend Carnivale - but 30,000 of them may just decide 'not to go'.

As mentioned - they'll probably take a hit in the first year as people rail against the steeper pricing, but then it becomes the norm. No longer will we wait with bated breath towards the end of the financial year to see what price point they're going with for next year... it'll be the same offer each year, with maybe a few extra sweeteners for those renewing an existing pass.

How long until we see paid parking subsidizing these ridiculous low ticket prices? They've surely reached the limit of cutting costs and raising prices inside the parks. (Someone quote me on that when I'm proven wrong.)

We will.

I'd like to say that they couldn't introduce it these days given how long we've had free parking - but Westfield has proven you can do it. People won't stop coming just because they have to pay for parking - although nearby businesses may get a little upset when half the guests park over the highway... If they DO go in that direction - they need to consider what other parks have done with their paid parking - and offer premium services as part of the deal - Valet or VIP parking that offers you a park closer to the gate for a little extra. In our time in the states we paid for that at Universal and it was worth it.