Dreamworld Steam Train

Inverted

As far as drivers go, Legislation requires a Boiler Licence for the driver.  When the decision was made to do away with the steam locos there were 4 licenced drivers at Dreamworld - the only full-time steam drivers in the state.  Two were rostered each day - the conductor being one of the drivers, who could drive the train for 2 circuits when the driver had his 50 minute lunch break.  He then went on his break when the driver returned.  Currently there is only one licenced driver, so that when he has a lunch break the steam engine and train must be stopped for that duration.

There is no licensing requirement to drive the replacement diesel and any operator who has received instruction, is able to drive it.

Operating times for the steam engines for many years was 10-5, every 25 minutes - 18 circuits a day. Even on the rare occasions when park opening hours were extended, the train still did its last circuit at 5pm.   With the diesel it was operating 10-5 with a 30 minute service - reduced to 15 circuits a day - (and a much reduced speed.)

2 hours ago, The Sunlander said:

Operating times for the steam engines for many years was 10-5, every 25 minutes - 18 circuits a day. Even on the rare occasions when park opening hours were extended, the train still did its last circuit at 5pm.   With the diesel it was operating 10-5 with a 30 minute service - reduced to 15 circuits a day - (and a much reduced speed.)

Thanks for the insight and welcome to the forums! What are your thoughts on the diesel replacement?

I have a real passion for steam locomotives and for me, as well as most people, the removal of the steamers from Dreamworld was a real blow.  The replacement diesel is a grotesque caricature of a steam engine, totally devoid of charm - a first cousin of the little rubber-tyred trains you sometimes see pottering around a shopping centre or at some event..  Yes, little kiddies may like it, but they do not know of better things.

It is my opinion that the diesel has not lived up to expectations and is causing a deal of concern.

We are lucky however that management did not dispose of both engines, and now the Baldwin will see the light of day again.  It will be 100 years old next year - and long may it continue.  With the change of heart by management now, perhaps they regret giving the Perry away.  If both engines were available the train ride could be re-established as the major attraction as it was in the early 1980s.

13 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

^

>Has a "real passion" for steam locos 
>Has a username of a service that's only ever run on diesel locomotives

Couldn't you have chosen "Puffing Billy" or something? :P

The Sunlander train was in fact worked by steam locomotives between Innisfail and Cairns in the early days.  The other "Lander trains, Inlander, Midlander, Westlander were all worked by steam until quite late in the piece.  In mid-1960s the Midlander was worked by diesel to Emerald then a succession of Beyer Garratt, C17 and AC16 engines to its terminus at Winton.

30 minutes ago, T-bone said:

Tomorrow (Saturday) should be the first day of the return to regular scheduled service for the steam train. Will anybody from here be going down to have a look?

T-bone if your going please take some more footage if you can love seeing the updates of the steam train perhaps Dreamworld will realise how popular returning the steamers are and purchase another train and return a full steam service again 

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I believe they only have one licenced/trained driver for the steam engine, he may not want to work every weekend... There may be maintenance issues related to excessive use as well

Yes, I am aware of that, however if they commit to extra running it would be a given that they source an additional qualified driver.

On 02/02/2016 at 05:49, The Sunlander said:

The Sunlander train was in fact worked by steam locomotives between Innisfail and Cairns in the early days.  The other "Lander trains, Inlander, Midlander, Westlander were all worked by steam until quite late in the piece.  In mid-1960s the Midlander was worked by diesel to Emerald then a succession of Beyer Garratt, C17 and AC16 engines to its terminus at Winton.

Somehow missed your reply til now, and turns out I can't read wikipedia correctly either :( 

Although, I was going by this

The Sunlander commenced service on 4 June 1953, replacing the Sunshine Express. This new air conditioned train was hauled by a diesel locomotive

reading that as it wasn't actually called the Sunlander until 1953.

Actually - from QR

It was not until 1953 that the first air-conditioned train in Queensland entered service, between Townsville and Mount Isa. An air-conditioned train service called the Sunlander and hauled by a diesel-electric locomotive commenced operating between Brisbane and Cairns in June 1953.

Maybe I was right :P 

Did the steam engine actually run on Saturday?  I have found no info re this - I hope it did run.  Or. perhaps the engine will commence first Saturday in March.

For continuous running, yes, another qualified driver would be needed.  However, it would not increase maintenance needs.  Steam engines are lubricated every morning when running (unlike a motor car), but otherwise are quite maintenance-free.  Just because it is 100 years old does not make it delicate.  It will run forever with minor occasional maintenance.  The boiler is the main concern.  It must be examined periodically by a qualified inspector, and minor issues can be made good by welding etc, but there comes a time when a new one will be required - and that is expensive as a one-off.  Keep fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...