The Giant Drop Refurbishment 2022

9 minutes ago, Slick said:

Proceeds to write a condescending lecture based off thoughts on my opinion. Can't have it both ways.

I'm refuting your statement that the design ignores basic graphic design and English language standards. It's not opinion and the statement is simply not true. If you believe being corrected is condescending then I genuinely wish you the best of luck.

24 minutes ago, Slick said:

They really are average aren't they? Again, death by a thousand cuts.

Its a first generation install. It's no "giant gold banana in a western area", but if they prove successful i'm sure we'll see them invest in them.

I'm personally a fan of these things, even though I don't tend to patronise them. Wonderland had more than 20 skill games across the park and they were all quite profitable with only about 4 of them closed in off peak periods. All major parks on the GC have skill games now, so clearly there is some level of merit in it having them - and for a park that is by all accounts not financially well off and trying to recover, not going all out on a proof of concept isn't the end of the world - certainly not 'death'.

The flip side is that if they decide to remove them, a tilt tray can pull them out overnight, and you don't end up with a situation of a virtually abandoned shopfront rotting in plain view, like we saw opposite Wipeout for a number of years.

3 hours ago, Guest 239 said:

I would certainly hope that somebody with such a deep understanding of the English language that they use it in the formation of their arguments would understand that standards and conventions are not interchangeable.

This is the condescending bit, just FYI. Try all you like to assume I've got my back up because I don't like being corrected, the reality is that were just being condescending. 🤷🏻‍♂️I'm always happy to be wrong, that's how you learn stuff, but you clearly want to dabble in the semantics because of an axe you need to grind instead of engaging with the spirit and overall message of my post.

4 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

It's not opinion and the statement is simply not true.

The letter "w" almost overwhelmingly doesn't have vertical strokes in 99% of fonts and applications. It looks weird to have vertical strokes, which is why this whole thread kicked off. That means it's become pretty standard in our everyday environment to see it look a certain way. If you need to have a conversation about binary interpretations of lexicon in the digital age of interpersonal exchange you can have it somewhere else. Remember, opinions are like buttholes - everyone has one.

28 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

You've subsequently and ironically managed to inadvertently back up my original argument that your statement has no factual basis beyond personal opinion.

That was my entire point in the first place so thank you for doing my job for me.

The irony is delicious. 🍻

Anyway, now that your axe is ground, TLDR;

200505_03_bendemeer_oxleyhwy_nr34_robtilley.thumb.jpg.6245847bab032e00ca6cbd775032f1ed.jpg919545531_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_22_15pm.thumb.jpg.2085dad6a09f34a08c078ca9e2161c9a.jpg

One's clearly right, one's clearly wrong.

200403_02_armidale.thumb.jpg.3b765194dd332ad2e6c9a67f4ee62180.jpg1264881343_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_22_11pm.thumb.jpg.ed957fdd8c631c551b15f6651d0bbcd2.jpg

I could do this all day with street signs, billboards, books, keyboards, logos...

It's pretty standard for W's to look a certain way. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

If the width is restricted - say, perhaps because the gondola or catchcar has a clearance requirement, then all the letters have to be squished within that requirement. 

If that was the case couldn't they just have conformed (bent) the letters in the same radius as the tower?

15 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

If that was the case couldn't they just have conformed (bent) the letters in the same radius as the tower?

Just to add, not all fonts are designed to take up every single square pixel or inch of space they occupy for each letter.

385620433_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_31_13pm.thumb.jpg.e0c1e1e7f67e0830e8344719f8372e87.jpg

You wouldn't use their existing typeface because the artistic design of the typeface is more suited towards digital and print. Those smaller counters and legs (the spaces inside the characters and the end of a stroke respectively) might look great on an iPhone, but they reduce legibility when viewed from far away or at a reduced scale. Plus there's clear character kerning that results in some letters being not quite as wide to accommodate common character pairings.

If maximising legibility and footage was the game, you'd pick a different font. In fact, you'd use something almost like what was there before, which ticked both those boxes.

2146775968_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_43_47pm.thumb.jpg.5715924f8ffd3ca30f1c83a213bde206.jpg

See? Almost like they knew an upside down M wouldn't work.

13 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

That's wonderful! Considering you have all day I'd love to the see the standard set for typography on 120m tall black towers within amusement parks. 

245212237_Screenshot2023-05-08at2_32_53pm.thumb.jpg.329e2425c5c997abf2ad6e211af43703.jpg

Let's conclude the bad-faith arguments for today. 🍻.

Edited by Slick

53 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

You've subsequently and ironically managed to inadvertently back up my original argument that your statement has no factual basis beyond personal opinion.

That was my entire point in the first place so thank you for doing my job for me.

Its a argument over a possible upside-down M why are you making it a big deal.

20 minutes ago, Slick said:

I could do this all day with street signs, billboards, books, keyboards, logos...

What's funny about that is that you can still read them - so it doesn't really matter.

17 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

I was moreso referring to a protrusion from the rear that meant nothing could extend past a certain distance, bent or not. I don't know anything factual about this, i'm just speculating like everyone else here.

4 minutes ago, Slick said:

In fact, you'd use something almost like what was there before, which ticked both those boxes.

That image shows the letters spanning more than the distance between track support members though, which isn't possible with 3D letters. Perhaps, when they made those letters smaller to fit, it wasn't as legible at distance, so they opted for a different font?

(Guarantee though, given the age of the original lettering, like most organisations, there's probably no record of what font was originally used)

16 minutes ago, Slick said:

See? Almost like they knew an upside down M wouldn't work.

Yet it does work. Nobody is confused by the design or wondering what it says. It's clearly 'DREAMWORLD' and whilst it looks odd it's still legible and does the job it set out to do. You're welcome to not like it but again it doesn't make it wrong. 

Edited by Guest 239

9 minutes ago, Slick said:

That’s really interesting. I wonder if they’re RGB? Would be cool to integrate into various major events.

Honestly - I thought the original press release mentioned that they'd be changeable for different events, but going back to look for it - it's another @themagician forecast. He must have been there in person for this one, because he was right again!

On 10/06/2022 at 11:00 AM, themagician said:

Having those letter being lights allows for them to turn them on and change the colour for night events. I can imagine they would make them orange during Halloween for example.

Honestly with them going to this trouble, making them RGB changeable is a no brainer - With the proliferation of cheap RGB lights in everything from gaming desks to car underbody kits, if they DIDN'T make them changeable it'd be a cause for embarassment

• Like 1

Let’s hope they aren’t colour changing and running heaps of tacky colour patterns. Single big bold colour is a statement and looks classy and impactful. 
Last thing we want is a 400’ high impression of a kebab shop. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rappa said:

Let’s hope they aren’t colour changing and running heaps of tacky colour patterns. Single big bold colour is a statement and looks classy and impactful. 
Last thing we want is a 400’ high impression of a kebab shop. 

OMG.

I hate it when they go to the expense of lighting a building and then it gets put on the default "cycling through the rainbow" mode.

In particular, going past this one at Helensvale.

image.thumb.png.35b3987ea7856c79ac396b14812d68cf.png

• Like 2