Jungle Rush Coaster

mattcrombie

Its simlar to some other minecart models sure but its jungle themed and plus the concept art vs the in real life ride is never 100% accurate. For all you know they could completely change the train it uses so it doesn't' make sense to assume the look of it. Talking about it and stating what it probably will look like is fine that's what this forum is for but it's not worth beefing about.

43 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

What are you even on about? what is your beef with the description?

Nothing that concerns you.

27 minutes ago, STRAWS said:

Its simlar to some other minecart models sure but its jungle themed and plus the concept art vs the in real life ride is never 100% accurate. For all you know they could completely change the train it uses so it doesn't' make sense to assume the look of it. Talking about it and stating what it probably will look like is fine that's what this forum is for but it's not worth beefing about.

Nothing in the original concept or announcement mentioned mine cart.  The concept and announcement both showed a Vekoma family coaster and not a Vekoma mine train.  The testing of the new element was done with a Vekoma family train and not a Vekoma mine train.  I'm just trying to work out if Jungle Rush ia a Vekoma family train themed mine cart or a Vekoma mine train.   

Edited by New display name

57 minutes ago, New display name said:

Nothing that concerns you.

Nothing in the original concept or announcement mentioned mine cart.  The concept and announcement both showed a Vekoma family coaster and not a Vekoma mine train.  The testing of the new element was done with a Vekoma family train and not a Vekoma mine train.  I'm just trying to work out if Jungle Rush ia a Vekoma family train themed mine cart or a Vekoma mine train.   

The ‘original concept or announcement’ includes the news segment that clearly shows mine train-themed Junior coaster track. With that, the Junior coaster trains shown in drawings & testing/construction, and definitely now w/ the existence of Wandering Oakens (which utilises themed track just like that which was seen in the render), I think it’s more than likely that’s what they’re going for. If they weren’t, and were instead going for a straight up mine train, they’d likely be using an obviously different track style in the testing (‘older gen’ boxy track, see ‘Choco Chip Creek), a train from their ‘Mine Train’ ride models (not just with a noticeable train’s zero car, but 6-person carriages instead of individual rows of 2), a chain lift instead of booster wheels (again, see ‘Choco Chip Creek’), and Dreamworld wouldn’t have had to specify ‘mine-style family rollercoaster’. And, aside from all that, the traditional Vekoma Mine Train ride model focuses on turns & helixes over airtime, and wouldn’t benefit from the implementation of an inclined turntable like their Junior coasters would.

Edited by Tricoart

26 minutes ago, New display name said:

I already said, I hadn't seen any videos on it.  (probably because I don't waste my time watching TV)

All I had to go on was DW's original announcement, DW posted.

image.thumb.png.13cfb8a414870d4bb6c8ecb6db0155b8.png

I understand that you hadn’t seen it, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist, other people hadn’t seen it (not just on TV, but shared to socials/YouTube/here), or you couldn’t see it now. You’re trying to figure out what the ride is going to be, the material they’ve put out is all you currently have to look at, which undoubtedly includes the video they gave to the news. I don’t get what your point/conundrum is now.

19 hours ago, TBoy said:

Speaking of that ride I am hoping Jungle Rush is longer that. It seems underwhelming for Disney standards, that is only 50sec including lift hill.

On the brief topic of the airtime moments, though, Wandering Oaken’s has at most 4 of them in it’s layout (5 if you include the drop off the lift, but I doubt that gives any actual airtime, and isn’t applicable in a comparison to Jungle Rush for what is hopefully clear reason). Jungle Rush is, by comparison, confirmed to have 12, 3 times that of Oaken’s. So, taking that & the inclined turntable that’ll undoubtedly increase the ride’s cycle time, I highly doubt it’ll be any less than 1m30 (turntable included, brakes not). And that’s not including any of the ‘dedicated show moments’.

IMG_5151.thumb.jpeg.675e0c4e2a23c53486498ba5a8f3ae3b.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart

The problem with Wandering Oaken is they've taken a Roller Skater and dressed it up to the point that it's almost a must ride.  You see a ride like at Disney and you'd figure there's way more hidden. Then you go on it and it's a min long kiddie coaster. Doesn't mean there's no place for a kiddie coaster, but making an E-Ticket out of one is a risky move.

I don't know what any of this has to do with Jungle Rush.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, joz said:

The problem with Wandering Oaken is they've taken a Roller Skater and dressed it up to the point that it's almost a must ride.  You see a ride like at Disney and you'd figure there's way more hidden. Then you go on it and it's a min long kiddie coaster. Doesn't mean there's no place for a kiddie coaster, but making an E-Ticket out of one is a risky move.

It was just bought up because it’s track style matches that which was shown in the render released by Dreamworld, and is seemingly the same ride type as Jungle Rush (that being a Vekoma Junior Coaster). But yeah, their layouts, and their purposes in their respective parks’ lineups, will be apples & oranges.

Edited by Tricoart

I watched the video now, and I can't see what the train is.  Is there another video?

I said-

21 hours ago, New display name said:

The concept isn't a Vekoma Mine train.

dw-future-mobile-900x500_junglerush.jpg

For some reason, @DaptoFunlandGuyposted a Zamperla coaster when I was talking about a Vekoma Mine Train.  A different coaster.

Anyway, I'll move on.

4 minutes ago, joz said:

Tell me about it. 

22 minutes ago, New display name said:

I watched the video now, and I can't see what the train is.  Is there another video?

The train isn’t in the video. When I mention it’s train, I mention the placeholder one they’ve been using for the testing of the inclined turntable.

Edited by Tricoart

22 hours ago, Tricoart said:

I interpreted that quote moreso as it’ll be most akin to a Vekoma Mine Train, which was already somewhat known & shown in the POV clip.

?🤷

Vekoma Mine Train

image.thumb.png.492e1c1a5c33b7b886f2457b08b6f49f.png

At this point I think everyone is talking about completely different things.🤣

Edited by New display name

15 minutes ago, New display name said:

?🤷

Vekoma Mine Train

image.thumb.png.492e1c1a5c33b7b886f2457b08b6f49f.png

At this point I think everyone is talking about completely different things.🤣

I interpreted that quote moreso as it’ll 

‘It’ being it’s style, as in how the ride looks, and due to the exact quote they released that started all this just being “mine-style family rollercoaster”.

be most akin to a Vekoma Mine Train

As in the ride model ‘Vekoma Mine Train’, not the ride’s train itself.

, which was already somewhat known & shown in the POV clip

Referring to the design of the track shown in the POV clip clearly trying to resemble that of a Vekoma Mine Train’s, with the added thematic cross ties.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, joz said:

but making an E-Ticket out of one is a risky move.

Is it actually an E-ticket though? Or is it just a well themed secondary attraction playing a supporting role to the e-ticket that is Frozen Ever After?

With the prior comparison to Flight of the Hippogriff, it's clear FotH is playing second fiddle to Forbidden Journey etc. 

I guess it depends on where you'd draw the line. Original E-tickets offered only 1, sometimes two attractions in each land as an 'E'. For a land that only has two attractions - can they (should they?) both be considered E-tickets, other than the fact that they are new?

E ticket - Wikipedia

It is now commonly used to describe a category of top tier and cutting edge theme park attractions. The term is especially common in describing Disney attractions of such a tier.

Is Oaken top tier? cutting edge? or is it just a well themed family coaster to flesh out the land around a top tier and cutting edge flume ride?

14 hours ago, joz said:

Apart from the ride time, yes. Which is very much what I'm getting at.

That's a pretty bold claim in a Disney park - especially when it's up against Mystic Manor, Grizzly Mountain, a Space clone, probably the best Jungle Cruise (IMO), and now Frozen Ever After.

If that were in Sea World Aus, it'd be top tier. Movie World also. But IMO, everything is relative and in a Disney Park, I don't think it's an E - for all the attractions that reasonably sit above it, and also, the ride time.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

I mean the difference between 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and Oaken's is ride time and a very short dark ride section, and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is considered top tier, so not sure really what you want. If you want to split hairs and say 'Umm well actually 7DMT is considered a 'D' ticket' then you're skipping the actual point that is being made in favour of pedantry.

And not everything at Disney is top tier, you can tell they are by how they're dressed up. Slinky Dog at HK is not top tier, maybe at Dreamworld. Oaken's looks top tier af, and is done up to that standard, you would expect it to offer way more than it does.

31 minutes ago, joz said:

I mean the difference between 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and Oaken's is ride time and a very short dark ride section, and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is considered top tier, so not sure really what you want

Doesn't 7DMT have rocking cars too?

So it's ride time, dark ride section, rocking cars, AND a headlining character theme? but other than that they're the same? listen to yourself.

35 minutes ago, joz said:

And not everything at Disney is top tier, you can tell they are by how they're dressed up.

I didn't say everything at Disney was Top Tier. I literally listed off all the things at HK that I consider 'top tier' which is why I don't believe Oaken is. Everything at Disney is 'dressed up' - its just a matter of degree. (Those degrees used to be separated A through to E, but other than usage of E as being 'top' I don't think anyone is dividing attractions into A-D categories anymore). E is your flagship attraction, the Marquee, the showstopper of the land. It's rare to have more than 1 (and almost unheard of to have more than 2) in each land.

I do agree that Oaken's has been themed very well, to suit a land that was announced almost 7 years ago. They've poured a fortune of money and time into this and for a virgin land (not a retheme) they've had the freedom to do exactly as they envision without being constrained by existing boundaries or structures - so they made it look pretty cool, sure.

In the coupon days, Oaken would probably have warranted an E-ticket simply because it was a 'new' attraction that would be popular, and making it expensive to ride would control capacity. These days if capacity were an issue, the US parks would stick a paid lightning lane on it and call it a day, and that would probably be today's equivalent of E-ticket. 

I don't know how they're structuring this sort of arrangement in Hong Kong yet, but i'm there in December, so I'll let you know. Other than that, I won't resort to downplaying your opinion as pedantry, so i'll again offer to agree to disagree.

12 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

So it's ride time, dark ride section, rocking cars, AND a headlining character theme

Rocking cars adds almost nothing (almost. Like on a swinging suspended coaster, swinging doesn't do much) and 'headlining character theme' would be true if we were in the 40s. Now granted I haven't done extensive market research, but I bet more kids would be into with/familiar with frozen than Snow White, timeless or no.

I don't have opinions on modern Disney 'Lightning Lane' and whatnot, but again looking at it in isolation I think it's over dressed. How it fits in the park's attraction mix might be different, so you do have a point with that, but I think at the very least the online perception of this ride is that something is off, and I think the issue is its a C ticket in E tickets clothes. 

16 hours ago, joz said:

'headlining character theme' would be true if we were in the 40s.

Tell that to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. ;)

16 hours ago, joz said:

I bet more kids would be into with/familiar with frozen than Snow White

You're absolutely right - the number of Oaken backpacks I see at the afternoon school pickup line is crazy. 

16 hours ago, joz said:

How it fits in the park's attraction mix might be different, so you do have a point with that, but I think at the very least the online perception of this ride is that something is off, and I think the issue is its a C ticket in E tickets clothes. 

I appreciate the concession. Honestly, I think much of the 'dressing' is to fit the rest of the land and hide small world from the Frozen sight lines.  Small World was built at a time they didn't anticipate constructing beside it and the entire frozen land sits on an area that was formerly back of house.

They've had a need to shield the small world show building, and, though they could have built a wall\fence, grown plants over it (or just glued fake plastic ivy all over a wall), painted it go away \ noseum green, they instead chose to integrate the 'C ticket' (your words) into the facade.

I understand what you're saying, and I can see how you'd arrive at that conclusion - but other than the folk in this thread, I haven't heard any negative perceptions. I want to go trawling through post history to find the Leviathan reply about enthusiasts never being happy even with a brand new land and multiple new attractions, but I CBF.  

image.thumb.png.2e37c50cb2b6e1b52525a324085881fa.png

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You're absolutely right - the number of Oaken backpacks I see at the afternoon school pickup line is crazy

10 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Tell that to Mickey and Minnie

OK I'm curious; do you think you've made a point here or are you trying to be funny? I'm not sure how to respond to that.

11 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

other than the folk in this thread, I haven't heard any negative perceptions. I want to go trawling through post history to find the Leviathan reply about enthusiasts never being happy even with a brand new land and multiple new attractions, but I CBF.  

I mean did you watch a video of it on YT? Because most of the comments are talking about how short it is so maybe that's a start. I'm saying the problem the ride has is it's over dressed for what it is. Not a controversial take I would have thought but apparently it's worth really arguing about and drilling into.

13 hours ago, joz said:

I mean did you watch a video of it on YT? Because most of the comments are talking about how short it is so maybe that's a start.

I usually watch YT-TV so comments aren't a general part of my viewing experience. I took a look and you're right, a lot of people are wondering why a junior coaster isn't even as long as Tron. Just read that again.

Many comparisons to how this wouldn't wash in Magic Kingdom or Disneyland, and how Hagrid's motorbike is way better and my take away is that it sounds like the typical american disney fan entitlement where everything Disney builds has to be for them. It's a freaking Junior coaster. For kids. Some of whom don't enjoy the longer bigger faster attractions.

Nobody is hating on Gadget's coaster, or Barnstormer. And this is longer than both of them. 

So then we come back to the complaint that it's what.... themed too well? fuck me enthusiasts are a steaming pile of dogshit. The Oaken attraction was originally rumored to be a flat ride. A spinner akin to Maters Junkyard. It would have been fine - and it would have needed a giant themed wall to hide Small World from the Frozen land. What we got was better than standard and still folks can't just be happy because it looks like it should be a longer ride and it isn't? Well shit - that might dent your first impressions but I bet you still go on it again if you've got the opportunity.

Anyway. You think its themed too well, but its too short. And you can't see how short it is before you ride. A lot of commentary online tends to agree with this sentiment, though in my opinion, the motivations of that commentary seem to have a bias - especially for a ride that hasn't officially opened yet (not to mention that the majority of those commenting with US park comparisons are unlikely to ever visit the park anyway). Your point is taken, and I still disagree with you.

I think from the limited stuff i've seen online they've done a great job with an entry level kids coaster - something the park has needed to introduce coasters to a younger generation not yet tall enough for things like Grizzly or Space (RC still looks too imposing for the younger groups), they've done a custom layout that is longer than the average length for a junior coaster out of 120 separate installs. They appear to have chosen to incorporate the ride into the land's facade, which was necessary to block out small world anyway, so why the fuck not?

*From what i've seen* it looks great. I can't wait to check it out for myself, and once I have, i'll give a final opinion.