Pipeline - Sea World Orlando

I’ve watched a few POVs of the ride now, but I’m interested to see what the ride experience is actually like. Sounds like a cool concept, I like the track layout and elements, but is it actually comfortable and something you want to re-ride because of the standing and harness situation. If it’s a yes, then it would be cool to have at a GC park. Either SW (Sea Viper lane) or DW (in Ocean Parade using the Thunderbolt land).

I don't think our parks can afford the luxury of a coaster that's "better than I thought it would be". Our parks need something that people see and go "I want to be on you" not "hmm this could be okay, oh wait it's good".

It's cool, and a cool concept and we have the space as pointed out by @themagicianbut I think if we're looking for different than the rest, the park should look towards a flying coaster.

36 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

This would be the perfect ride for any of our parks - what says Gold Coast more than a surfing coaster - make the last car back to back for the up charge :) 

I mean, surfing is just the theme, and you could apply that theme to a lot of ride models out there (surfrider, anyone?)

The custom seat movement sounds like an interesting experience (and expensive too). The reality is, B&M is pretty much out of the question for an Aus park at this time. If this were a Mack or Intamin or Vekoma product, it'd be more realistic. the starting price of the most basic B&M is in the upper limit of our park's single attraction spend, let alone a brand new one-of-a-kind prototype.

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

I don't think our parks can afford the luxury of a coaster that's "better than I thought it would be". Our parks need something that people see and go "I want to be on you" not "hmm this could be okay, oh wait it's good".

To be honest I think that's more of a thoosie sentiment of not really liking stand up and finding B&Ms boring, so there was a lot of scepticism

We haven’t really heard enough in terms of what the broader public thinks of a surf coaster.

• Like 1

The good thing about a stand up coaster is people know what it is . If you say stand up coaster people know it’s a coaster you stand on. I got a few mates that when I told them stand up’s exist they said it sounded amazing. That was pre pipe line.    Where as I remember when steel taipan was announced their main thing was that it was the southern hemisphere’s first triple launch/swing launch coaster.  A lot of non enthusiast people had no idea what that meant or what that is

so from a marketing perspective a stand up wouldn’t be too bad I don’t think.  But overall a flying coaster would be my personal preference.   

Edited by REGIE

Short people probably get insane airtime.

but yeah I would have to imagine it makes loading a lot better.  I wonder how it will affect maintenance time and costs. B&M pride them selfs on their reliability. It will be interesting if this Mets their standard in time.

Edited by REGIE

On 12/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I mean, surfing is just the theme, and you could apply that theme to a lot of ride models out there (surfrider, anyone?)

The custom seat movement sounds like an interesting experience (and expensive too). The reality is, B&M is pretty much out of the question for an Aus park at this time. If this were a Mack or Intamin or Vekoma product, it'd be more realistic. the starting price of the most basic B&M is in the upper limit of our park's single attraction spend, let alone a brand new one-of-a-kind prototype.

Mack is easily more expensive than B&M these days anyway (from my understanding their American projects have been quite expensive just like ours) and yet three of them exist here costing at least $30m each. There is no way one of those small scale dive coasters would cost more than the likes of Rivals or Taipan. Also the cost of shipping from America (where their parts are made) is probably a bit cheaper as opposed to Germany. 

Jungle Rush will probably end up costing more than a basic B&M too with all its demo, theming, landscaping and show buildings considered. From my understanding Village considered B&M products to replace Arkham before they settled with Oz. I for one think a dive coaster is a slam dunk for our parks as those things are huge attention draws and crowd pleasers. Surf coasters probably not, I would wait to see Pipeline’s reliability given our parks don’t have an excellent track record with installing reliable rides

I think back in the day this was correct but saving a buck (ie Buzzsaw, green lantern, motocoaster, jet rescue) is a thing of the past now, especially after one park killed people trying to do just that. Village/Ardent are more than keen to splash the cash for something signature which is what they have spent the last few years doing.

Edited by Baconjack

Agreed. Exceptions are higher now too. People aren’t content with rides that would’ve been perfectly fine 20 years ago.   I agree that a dive coaster would be great.  But I wouldn’t underestimate the pipeline just yet.  I think it’s easy to market and very unique.  I am not sure a dive coaster has the same marketability.  When dive coasters are presented properly though that’s a different story. It’s it’s themed or has a plaza. Or a tunnel to dive through that adds more. 

“Hey. insert park name* just added a roller coaster ride you can stand up on!!”

vs

”hey. insert park name* just added a roller coaster with a 90 degree drop!”

honestly both sound pretty good. 

16 hours ago, Baconjack said:

I think back in the day this was correct but saving a buck (ie Buzzsaw, green lantern, motocoaster, jet rescue) 

How was Jet Rescue 'saving a buck' ? It's a pretty good example of a pretty good ride type. Heck - SW San Diego is building one as we speak..

2 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

I mean this is a tiny thing but proves two things - station bins are a great idea - also theming doesn’t need to cost heaps of money. 

Village Roadshow already know how to save money with storage bins.

1 hour ago, REGIE said:

Imagine how sick it would be if DCR had a leviathan level batcave station ….

Oh yeah - we get enough grief about how slow DCR operations are. Imagine if the pre-show had to run in the station before dispatch too?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking too. Just the theming without the preshow but you are probably right. It could possibly still slow down operations more.  But at least it wouldn’t be slow in a tin shed. It could be slow in a themed tin shed.

1 hour ago, REGIE said:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking too. Just the theming without the preshow but you are probably right. It could possibly still slow down operations more.  But at least it wouldn’t be slow in a tin shed. It could be slow in a themed tin shed.

You dont really ever say anything positive do you

2 hours ago, REGIE said:

Just the theming without the preshow but you are probably right. It could possibly still slow down operations more.

How does that make sense?

Scooby Doo, WWF have themed stations and it doesn't slow ops.

I swear people in this thread are just posting contrarian stuff for the sake of it, regardless of it actually makes sense.

@DaptoFunlandGuy it's pretty obvious you can do well themed stations WITHOUT programming a preshow.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2