Dreamworld Flyer

TBoy

54 minutes ago, New display name said:

In a perfect world, I would have added an extra cave over the launch track.  But if DW only had the money for one cave and I was to design the theming, I would have built the cave over the launch track instead of the current cave.  Not only would it hide the back of house amenities, you would experience the cave 3 times.  Caves should disorientate you because you go from light to darkness to light again but DW's cave doesn't do that, because DW gave the cave windows.

I'm, pretty sure I Rember Greg Yong stating that the cave would be dark during when it was being built so what's the thinking behind the windows? it's a wasted Opportunity because apart from the near mis element it adds nothing else. 

DF has 3 different fences.   Did DW run out of the fence with the upper detail because even though it's not my preferred option, A ramp fence with a bit of detail, would have looked better.  The detail on the back fence is 100 times better because it's more in keeping with the ride.

1.thumb.JPG.4d2bbb98c8c3bbb53cd611a0ace70ef4.JPG2.thumb.JPG.97dfc0c00ea4b6da35f45b4a290da7ac.JPG

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.thumb.JPG.939a63812e297b7942454a9975ffe7cf.JPG

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I do hope you plan to write a review or two?

You want me to review my job?

Edited by New display name

I was in Japan for 4 days regarding an Australian mining camp project.  My mother is currently staying with me for a couple of months, so I took the opportunity for a no kid holiday and met up with my wife in Phuket, after I left Japan.  I also had to buy a lot of bar-girls drinks in Pattaya City because it turns out I suck at connect four.

So you were in a country with 129 parks for work, and didn't visit one, then left to visit a country recreationally with 18 parks, but you stayed in a place with zero parks so approximately 0% of your recreation time was spent visiting the local parks?

I'm afraid you're going to need to hand in your Thoosie Card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, themagician said:

And they’ve updated their socials profile pic to match the new style 

IMG_0433.jpeg

Oh, so this is like a full-on rebrand, then. Not necessarily surprised, but it’s interesting. Don’t yet know whether I prefer this logo over the older one, admittedly the font is nicer & their clear inspiration from the park’s original logo (w/ the name placement & miniature park above the globe) are nice touches, but the non-text details being completely white is throwing me off a bit. In the case that it is a full-on rebrand, I’ll wait ‘til I see the physical sign at the entrance to judge it outright, but hopefully that iteration adds some colour back to the globe. It’s definitely more in line with the direction the park’s going now, though, opting for less ‘aggressive’ branding & more nostalgic/modern touches. The only things left to update now are Motocoaster & Shockwave, unless I’m forgetting something.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

You forgot about Dreamworld's hemorrhoid.

19034-iRide-PTFE-2023-FA-ST-04-lo.jpg

It’s not ‘nostalgic’, but it is ‘modern’ & generally inoffensive. Yes, it doesn’t fit with the section it’s facing, and the old Dreamworld Theatre facade did fit said area more. That said, it’s far from as ‘objectively horrible’ as it’s made out to be on here, especially now that it somewhat fits in with Steel Taipan, and at the very least it meshes with their updated aesthetic much more than these two do:

IMG_6232.thumb.jpeg.72e89c0fbb4cf560f1acc14517397ade.jpeg

IMG_6233.thumb.jpeg.a09414f92ff558e7bfde10e6204b4406.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart

I don't see anything wrong with Shockwave or Motocoaster's bridge \ entryway. 

Don't get me wrong, i think MDMC's entire theme is garbage, and it doesn't belong where it is, and it needs to change and hopefully after rivertown they find a way to do that, but as it is - the theme is exactly what they're trying for. The style is what you'd see by the track on race day. I've spent years at racetracks, as pit crew, punter and race official, and the aesthetic is usually a fastfold marquee in varying colours and sponsorships (the original queue themeing) and the bridge borrows from that - bigger teams would have archways or inflatable advertising, generally with flags (with MDMC has space for on the bridge, just not being used in the photo above). 

Race day on pit bikes in Ohsweken, rain or shine let's gooo.🌧🫣  @eaglesnestmotopark | InstagramTrack/Race day Pit layoutHire Marquees with Coloured Roof | Colourful Marquee HireGiant Custom Inflatable Archway Advertising Australia – airsplendid

As for shockwave, it's ocean parade. the ride is a turbulent spinning attraction that was (at launch) somewhat turbine themed (as was the rest of the park). While a lot of the turbine theme is gone now, wave \ ocean can still work well enough that a retheme isn't essential. It would be nice to tighten up the link, but what are they gonna do - name it VORTEX?

It's not the best themed ride in the park, but it's also a legacy attraction without an IP which makes it not a priority. I give it a pass. it's "FINE".

10 hours ago, wikiverse said:

You forgot about Dreamworld's hemorrhoid.

19034-iRide-PTFE-2023-FA-ST-04-lo.jpg

redoing SV’s facade would be a waste of money, it’s not as bad as everyone on here makes it out to be, especially with DF now there. The back half of Ocean Parade with Flowrider, Trolls Village and the old Zombie Evilution building as well as the old RHLR area is much more of a priority. 

@REGIE It was an era in the parks history (which I like to forget about) where there were many attractions that had turbines as part of their theming. It was not kind cool. The cyclone had the largest turbine in the spiral queue. Tower of Terror II had way to many turbines throughout the whole queue. And Shockwave also had turbines (which are the last remaining turbines in the park.

Here's an article about the many turbines of TOT: 

https://www.parkz.com.au/update/2010/09/27/250-Dreamworld_September_2010.html

13 hours ago, Tricoart said:

but the non-text details being completely white is throwing me off a bit. 

It seems to be a simplified verison of the logo they used for their 40th birthday (which I loved)

download.png.fe23e9c45412b2e042fb2451d8dad52c.png

The new one for their socials but have been done that way to simplify it and make the bold blue pop more as you scroll on your phone.

Edited by themagician

9 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I don't see anything wrong with Shockwave or Motocoaster's bridge \ entryway. 

Don't get me wrong, i think MDMC's entire theme is garbage, and it doesn't belong where it is, and it needs to change and hopefully after rivertown they find a way to do that, but as it is - the theme is exactly what they're trying for. The style is what you'd see by the track on race day. I've spent years at racetracks, as pit crew, punter and race official, and the aesthetic is usually a fastfold marquee in varying colours and sponsorships (the original queue themeing) and the bridge borrows from that - bigger teams would have archways or inflatable advertising, generally with flags (with MDMC has space for on the bridge, just not being used in the photo above). 

Race day on pit bikes in Ohsweken, rain or shine let's gooo.🌧🫣  @eaglesnestmotopark | InstagramTrack/Race day Pit layoutHire Marquees with Coloured Roof | Colourful Marquee HireGiant Custom Inflatable Archway Advertising Australia – airsplendid

As for shockwave, it's ocean parade. the ride is a turbulent spinning attraction that was (at launch) somewhat turbine themed (as was the rest of the park). While a lot of the turbine theme is gone now, wave \ ocean can still work well enough that a retheme isn't essential. It would be nice to tighten up the link, but what are they gonna do - name it VORTEX?

It's not the best themed ride in the park, but it's also a legacy attraction without an IP which makes it not a priority. I give it a pass. it's "FINE".

I don’t doubt that Motocoaster or Shockwave fit the themes that they were going for when they were built, my point is that those themes don’t fit into the general aesthetic of their areas, or the park itself, anymore. I’m struggling to think of the right words, but they’re not as ‘polished’ or ‘timeless’ as Dreamworld are going for. Flyer’ll still be an inoffensive ‘classic’ themed ride in 20 years time, Taipan & SV’ll still be ‘modern/bland’ & inoffensive, Rivertown’ll still be inoffensive ‘jungle’, etc. But Shockwave & Motocoaster are showing the outdated ‘grittiness’ of their theming, and they’ll continue to do that as time goes on, unless something changes.

Bear with me here, cause I really don’t know if this’ll make any sense at all, but I kinda see it as most of Dreamworld’s trying to be like a halfway decent Samsung Galaxy/Google Pixel phone. Maybe SV & ST are a newer iPhone, and Wiggles/ex-KFPL are a cheaper, budget, ‘babies first’ phone, but they’re generally just similarly inoffensive designs. Then, Motocoaster & Shockwave are more like an old Motorola w/ a sliding keyboard. Yeah, they worked when that was the norm, and there’s people who still prefer their look to that of what’s currently popular, but they’d generally be seen as outdated & in need of an upgrade.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Then, Motocoaster & Shockwave are more like an old Motorola w/ a sliding keyboard. Yeah, they worked when that was the norm, and there’s people who still prefer their look to that of what’s currently popular, but they’d generally be seen as outdated & in need of an upgrade.

Thats a damn weird analogy. but I get what you're trying to say. 

Counterpoint - there's always that one luddite that thinks technology peaked in 2006 and is still carrying their old motorola and they're stubbornly refusing to upgrade it. With the recent news that telcos were shutting down the 3G band, this has brought them to table-thumping outrage, and shouts of conspiracy.

Vodafone is the first telco that will switch off its 3G network entirely, it will do this on December 15 this year. 

Telstra will follow in June 2024, while Optus will wait until September 2024 to phase out 3G. 

So to continue your analogy, I would suggest that although most of society has moved on, there are a few oddities out there that will persist with their outdated equipment (and theme) until they are dragged into the new age by something outside of their control.

In a Dreamworld Context - neither of those attractions will be rethemed or otherwise upgraded until it's necessary. And that necessity in this context is going to be either a relocation of the ride (unlikely) a retheme of the land\area it sits on (unlikely for ocean parade given the new investment, and unlikely for MDMC purely because it doesn't really sit in a land), a large-scale refurbishment where the attraction is likely to be closed for several months, and the park decides "well why not while we're at it", or at the end of the attraction's current expected lifespan - where the tax depreciation has been exhausted, leading to an optimal time to inject some capital to improve and modernise it. 

Of all of those options above, the last two are the most likely to happen, but they're also the least likely to occur 'any time soon'.

14 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

unlikely for MDMC purely because it doesn't really sit in a land

No it doesn’t (unfortunately) and while I definitely think they should retheme it to be more fitting in its context, I don’t think they should necessarily make it part of Rivertown. Rivertown will be their brand new flashy land and I don’t think adding an almost 20 year old coaster to the land is the way to go. They could give it a colour scheme that’s more earthy and better suits the surrounding environment and even the store could be more generic and sell merch based around Rivertown. Because right now MDMC is the one attraction that doesn’t suit its area/land the most and it deserves better (including new trains that don’t hurt)

I actually think MDMC could work on the outskirts of Rivertown. Not necessarily include it as part of the land but maybe unofficially theme it in…

Repaint the tracks brown/black/grey, paint up the bikes and call it Dirt Bike Derby, or Rivertown Racers etc.

Throw a bit of rusted corrugated iron around the place, some drum barrels, remove the green/yellow roof over the launch and put a timber shak style roof over instead… it wouldn’t take too much to blend it in. If they leave it as is, it’s going to stick out like a sore thumb, and take away from Rivertown. 

• Gazza changed the title to Dreamworld Flyer