Hollywood Stunt Driver 2 - still going after 10 years

Naazon

On 07/02/2024 at 1:25 PM, New display name said:

I don't like the idea because the "we are filming stunts for a movie" is the worst part of the current show. 

The only thing that makes that the worst part of the current show is that there aren't any actual stunts that they film. just driving. 

The original HWSD kept to this theme very well, and while it wasn't perfect, it was a damn sight better than the current show. It actually stopped, the director - ahem - directed and then they reshot the take, etc. 

The current version tries to tell a story and make it seem like it's behind the scenes of a movie set and it achieves neither.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The current version tries to tell a story and make it seem like it's behind the scenes of a movie set and it achieves neither.

The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to represent "a day in the life" on set.  And, I think it largely succeeds at that; it's boring, tedious, repetitive, and largely has you wishing nonspecific harm upon everyone involved by the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webslave said:

The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to represent "a day in the life" on set.  And, I think it largely succeeds at that; it's boring, tedious, repetitive, and largely has you wishing nonspecific harm upon everyone involved by the end.

Well in that case...

George Bush Mission Accomplished Gif GIFs | Tenor

On 01/02/2024 at 11:07 AM, TBoy said:

What about a new show themed to Mad Max? It is Aussie, owned by Village, and it appeals to the same crowd as HSD. Keep the stunt aspect of the show, but change it around to fit the Mad Max IP. Its also not like its a dead IP, as Furiosa is coming out in May and there's a new sequel as well on the way.

Just found this - the artist who posted the recent Oz art also drew this for a Max Max version of Stunt Driver a few years ago. So it's been on the table at least once!

firefox_3BYuVk08St.thumb.jpg.08455b1879096f42e05163e11049356d.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjuGojgByY9/

• Love it! 1

19 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Just found this - the artist who posted the recent Oz art also drew this for a Max Max version of Stunt Driver a few years ago. So it's been on the table at least once!

It doesn't say anything related to MW or HSD in the post, so I assume this is a personal thing he made.

• Like 1

The original HWSD wasn't that bad. there was enough "non burnout" stunts that the show was well rounded, and the finale made sense. 

but those lancer evos cost a lot to maintain, especially when the arena was so small there was no margin for error. Plenty of kisses to the wall, plus the flip\rollovers from the two-wheel stunts gone wrong, and it all stacks up. it was a high-cost show to run, which is why the neutered HWSD2 came along, starring showtime. 

The rest as they say, is history.

Mad Max at least would have had oversight from WB. I know they've been pretty tight on how things look for things like Oz, so an IP attachment at least would have presented a roadblock on the road to the castration we got.

Police Academy was fun but a bit cringe towards the end. You had people playing characters from a show they clearly hadn't seen. Like having Lethal Weapon on the sound effects stage, updates for relevance are important. I got to be in the PASS show when I was younger, so it was special to me, but by the end, I tended to play "spot the Rodney" and I was done.

This might be controversial, but I don't think that HWSD2 needs to be replaced with a 'stunt' show.  It just needs to be an entertaining show with some big set pieces, if there are a few 'stunts' along the way then that's great.

Honestly, if they were to do a Mad Max, Dune or DC themed show, a lot of the 'stunts' could just be fully automated rigs that are completely safe and require little to no human skill, as long as they're built into the story and give the illusion of action and suspense.

I think we'd all love to see a high quality stunt show, but if budget is the issue, then rig everything. It wouldn't be difficult to create an exciting and entertaining show using nothing more dangerous or skillful than what HWSD2 offers, and it would be a much more appropriate venue for BMX (or motorcycle) tricks than Seaworld.

• Like 1