Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

The Rivertown area was originally modeled after the Murray River, with most of the architecture quite consistent with how towns along the river would have looked in the mid-19th Century. Paddlewheelers were of course one of the main modes of transport along the river in those days; Charles Sturt (the Paddlewheeler's namesake) discovered the Murray as well as the Darling. Between Rivertown and Gum Tree Gully, I think they were more or less equal in terms of their "Australianness" back in the day. They were after all essentially the same area. (I may have watched a documentary featuring the Murray River earlier today.)

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got no problems with tastefully executed sports-themed attractions. I do have an issue with suggesting motorsport is in any way a major part of life in Australia. I honestly don't think it comes much more American than motor racing and it certainly doesn't appear anywhere prominently on quantified surveys of Australian sporting interests.
You have got to be joking. Motorsport not a major part of Australian life?? Please... Motorsport is huge in Australia. We host international motorsport events every year which are the most attended sporting events in Australia. The Melbourne Grand Prix, Gold Coast Indy, MOTO GP @ Philip Island. These events attract hundreds of thousands of spectators. Bathurst attracts huge numbers and has a huge TV audience- the track itself is legendary worldwide. We also have the worlds premier Touring car championship (V8 Supercars). Not to mention the legends of motorsport this country has produced - Peter Brock, Alan Jones, Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan...World Champs everywhere. Casey Stoner is currently dominating the MOTO GP and will soon be added to the list. These guys are household names not just here but around the world. Mick Doohan is recognised as one of the greatest motorcycle racers of all time!!

If we're going to use the size of single massively hyped events as a measure of the popularity of a sport within the country, then I'd like to see a horse racing themed ride at Dreamworld next. The Melbourne Cup is so incredibly huge in this country that every single living Australia must be a die-hard horse racing fan. You've thrown at us some random facts about motorsports. Good, great. I have absolutely nothing against the sport. You've done nothing to prove that it's a statistically significant sport in Australia to the point where it's an inherent part of Australian culture, which is what I was talking about.

If we're going to use the size of single massively hyped events as a measure of the popularity of a sport within the country, then I'd like to see a horse racing themed ride at Dreamworld next. The Melbourne Cup is so incredibly huge in this country that every single living Australia must be a die-hard horse racing fan. You've thrown at us some random facts about motorsports. Good, great. I have absolutely nothing against the sport. You've done nothing to prove that it's a statistically significant sport in Australia to the point where it's an inherent part of Australian culture, which is what I was talking about.
Actually your idea for a Melbourne Cup ride doesn't sound too bad. :P The Ford vs Holden battle. Is that not a part of Australian culture? All Im saying is maybe you dont find motorsport that interesting but theres a hell of a lot of people in this country that do.

every one has there own opinion,buti do think australian motorsport is an australian culture as for msking a ride about it i think its a great idea.i mean u got superman escape and batman ride but ehy not a motorsport ride i think a good idea to through this into the mix.i cant wait to see what this ride will be like.i am going to dream world late august pitty i am just gonna miss out on riding this thing.

The Rivertown area was originally modeled after the Murray River, with most of the architecture quite consistent with how towns along the river would have looked in the mid-19th Century. Paddlewheelers were of course one of the main modes of transport along the river in those days; Charles Sturt (the Paddlewheeler's namesake) discovered the Murray as well as the Darling. Between Rivertown and Gum Tree Gully, I think they were more or less equal in terms of their "Australianness" back in the day. They were after all essentially the same area.
For a couple of years I actually lived in Echuca ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echuca ) Which is considered "the paddlesteamer capital of Australia" so I got to see them quite a bit. The point I was getting at is the style of the Charles Sturt paddle steamer is wrong as it is in the American style. The ones on the Murray tended to have two narrower paddles either side of the vessel rather than one big one at the back, plus the smokestacks look a bit different (not the "crown" type like on the Charles Sturt) I cant actually comment on the architectural style of Rivertown as I cant remember much of it, but if you want to compare with a real Murray river town then again Echuca would be a good example as there is a historic port district that has been preserved: stagecoach.jpg
The Ford vs Holden battle. Is that not a part of Australian culture?
No, just bogans who have no greater issues to occupy themselves with.
You have got to be joking. Motorsport not a major part of Australian life?? Please...
Well, I dont think it is, yeah those events attract thousands of people, but what about the other sports out there, personally I would think that one of the major football codes would be a greater part of Australian life, hundreds of thousands attend matches weekly (not say once a year because its something to do) or pull on the boots each weekend, and during the week it dominates the sport section of the paper and office conversation wtih tipping comps. When was the last time anyone on here got behind the wheel of a race car anyway, reeeeal big part of Aussie life :rolleyes: I mean yeah there are about 3 noteworthy racing events on each year here, but they aren't something that is iconic about Australia. Edited by Gazza

The Ford vs Holden battle. Is that not a part of Australian culture? All Im saying is maybe you dont find motorsport that interesting but theres a hell of a lot of people in this country that do.
I have to agree with Ninja on this one. Whilst not a motorsports fan myself the number of Australians who are is quite significant. Dreamworld has probably noticed the sheer number of visitors who attend their park decked out in Ford or Holden racing gear, as I certainly did on my last couple of visits. The amount of families all wearing Holden caps or shirts (although somewhat disturbing in my opinion) is a clear indication of the level of obsession many Australians have about motor racing. Granted, most of this relates to the V8 Supercars and I am not sure whether it extends to the MotoGP as well, but I think it has the potential to excite that section of the population. This is something Dreamworld has probably been aware of for some time due to the fact that (if I recall correctly) they have a fair amount of racing memorabilia for sale in the Cyclone shop, despite the very tenuous link. So, I would have to conclude that this a fairly well calculated marketing decision. On the coaster itself, I have to say I am looking forward to experiencing something new and while I doubt it will offer a big thrill I'm hoping we will be surprised by the sensation of speed we will get by traveling at such low heights. As for naming it after Mick Doohan I wonder how many younger people will be familiar with him considering he hasn't raced since 1999, but in saying that he was a fantastic sportsperson and excellent role model, so I'm a bit divided on it, and like most others have already stated, I expect that it will simply be named Motocoaster before too long.

Actually your idea for a Melbourne Cup ride doesn't sound too bad. :P The Ford vs Holden battle. Is that not a part of Australian culture? All Im saying is maybe you dont find motorsport that interesting but theres a hell of a lot of people in this country that do.
I have to agree with Ninja on this one. Whilst not a motorsports fan myself the number of Australians who are is quite significant. Dreamworld has probably noticed the sheer number of visitors who attend their park decked out in Ford or Holden racing gear, as I certainly did on my last couple of visits. The amount of families all wearing Holden caps or shirts (although somewhat disturbing in my opinion) is a clear indication of the level of obsession many Australians have about motor racing. Granted, most of this relates to the V8 Supercars and I am not sure whether it extends to the MotoGP as well, but I think it has the potential to excite that section of the population. This is something Dreamworld has probably been aware of for some time due to the fact that (if I recall correctly) they have a fair amount of racing memorabilia for sale in the Cyclone shop, despite the very tenuous link. So, I would have to conclude that this a fairly well calculated marketing decision. On the coaster itself, I have to say I am looking forward to experiencing something new and while I doubt it will offer a big thrill I'm hoping we will be surprised by the sensation of speed we will get by traveling at such low heights. As for naming it after Mick Doohan I wonder how many younger people will be familiar with him considering he hasn't raced since 1999, but in saying that he was a fantastic sportsperson and excellent role model, so I'm a bit divided on it, and like most others have already stated, I expect that it will simply be named Motocoaster before too long.
You both seem to be completely missing the point of what Richard is saying... OK, you've said that there are billions of motosport fans in Australia. Alright, that's all well and good. This does not make it part of Australian culture. Australian meat pies and Kangaroos are part of Australian culture. They are uniquely Australian and are much more associated overseas than the MotoGP or the Megamoto supercup 2000 or whatever. I for one couldn't care less if Holden or Ford wins. I honestly could not sit and watch cars do 7 million laps of the same course. And I really don't see motosport as much of a sport anyway. Sure, the driver has to have some skill. But really, the car is doing most of the work. Edit: By the way, Ford isn't even Australian. Edited by Swanny

No, just bogans who have no greater issues to occupy themselves with.
Hmm... like deciding whether a coaster with a motobike seat is a better attraction than a Gigacoaster. Thank goodness we have something 'meaningful' to occupy our time. I honestly think that some people have completely missed the point with this coaster. The Motocoaster is not a rollercoaster inspired by Mick Doonan or motosport. It is a Motorbike coaster that just happens to be themed around motosport due to the oppurtunistic nature of the ride. Dreamworld management and the CEO have obviously wanted to include a unique style of coaster and as things progressed saw an oppurtunity to create a relationship with Mick Doonan and Australian Motorbike Racing. In all honesty, it is probably a much better move than introducing a motorbike ride based around some generic idea. Just some other points. Firstly, the idea of 'What would be considered iconically Australian?' is a very contencious issue. To say that Rivertown or Gold Rush country are more Australian than another thing is a remarkably western-centric point of view. Particularly when you are going for a historical feel. If it is a question of whether or not there are followers, then I am affraid we lose out. There are enough followers of the sport to warrant this inclusion. If it is an issue that there are other sports that could have been used, how do you a: introduce a coaster themed around AFL or the NRL, swimming, track and field or any other sport? and b: pass up the oppurtunity to theme a motorbike coaster around an Australian motorsport icon?

But again the point is being missed, nobody really has a problem with the chosen theme, just the suggestion that it is genuinely Australian...go back and read the last bit of the press release if you want to see what people are on about, that tries to trumpet it, and the park as "the ‘Australian theme park’ celebrating our unique Australian culture and its heroes"

Hmm... like deciding whether a coaster with a motobike seat is a better attraction than a Gigacoaster. Thank goodness we have something 'meaningful' to occupy our time.
No, but that ford versus holden debate is one that has dragged on for years, moreso than forum discussions on coasters have ever existed for. Personally I think if you can get a car that does what you want then thats a win for you, and both cars are Australia's best selling so there must be some merit in both for them to sell at the rate they do.....oh wait, the corolla sells better than both now doesn't it :P

Mick Doohan is not Australian? Last time I checked he is up there with Sir Donald Bradman in terms of Australian sporting icons. 1. He was 5 times World Champion (would have been more had he not destroyed his body) 2. He is Australian. Thats good enough for me! This ride is as Aussie as meat pies! If you want to be picky and want everything Australian then get rid of all the rides and leave gum trees and Kangaroos because drop rides and coasters aren't Australian at all.

Mick Doohan is not Australian? Last time I checked he is up there with Sir Donald Bradman in terms of Australian sporting icons. 1. He was 5 times World Champion (would have been more had he not destroyed his body) 2. He is Australian. Thats good enough for me! This ride is as Aussie as meat pies! If you want to be picky and want everything Australian then get rid of all the rides and leave gum trees and Kangaroos because drop rides and coasters aren't Australian at all.
1. No-one has said that Mick Doohan is not Australian, don't know where you got that one... :blink: 2. Wherever you 'checked' that Mick Doohan is up there is up there with Sir Donald Bradman has obviously never made a mistake. No offence to Mick Doohan or anything, but seriously, Bradman was such an excellent sportsman he was knighted. I'm not saying Mick is a bad sportsman, he's just not as renowned as you are saying and is not really 'up there' with Bradman. Oh and in regards to your 2nd comment, you're still missing the entire point of this discussion. We are talking about the ride's theme (Motosport, that is) not being part of Australian culture. Never did we state that everything that is not to do with Australian culture must go. Although it would be nice to see the park be a little more Australian. And as you said, rides aren't really Australian. So the ride can't really be as Aussie as meat pies.

1. No-one has said that Mick Doohan is not Australian, don't know where you got that one... :blink: 2. Wherever you 'checked' that Mick Doohan is up there is up there with Sir Donald Bradman has obviously never made a mistake. No offence to Mick Doohan or anything, but seriously, Bradman was such an excellent sportsman he was knighted. I'm not saying Mick is a bad sportsman, he's just not as renowned as you are saying and is not really 'up there' with Bradman. Oh and in regards to your 2nd comment, you're still missing the entire point of this discussion. We are talking about the ride's theme (Motosport, that is) not being part of Australian culture. Never did we state that everything that is not to do with Australian culture must go. Although it would be nice to see the park be a little more Australian. And as you said, rides aren't really Australian. So the ride can't really be as Aussie as meat pies.
Yes Mick Doohan is up there with Sir Don Bradman. Like Sir Don, Mick was the best of the best and as I mentioned earlier is regarded around the world as one of the greatest of all time. He still holds world records to this day - some that will probably never be broken. He is considered royalty in the motorsport world. People like Michael Schumacher idolise him. Please name Australian sportspeople who can say they have achieved such greatness - Thorpey?... And while you're at it explain to me what you think is Australian and what type of Australian theming you would like to see particularly on this ride that would be better than what they have come up with. I think the current theme is fantastic but I'm interested to see what other people can come up with or what they would like to see instead?

And while you're at it explain to me what you think is Australian and what type of Australian theming you would like to see particularly on this ride that would be better than what they have come up with.
Why is everyone missing the point so badly!? NOBODY HAS AN ISSUE WITH THE CHOSEN THEME, HOW ABOUT READING STUFF PROPERLY, NOT JUST SKIMMING OVER Sorry to write like that, but its the only way I can get the message across The whole issue is to do with these statements in the press release!
“I’m extremely proud to be associated with a great Australian icon working on a venture that celebrates and pays respect to a great Australian sport and its achievements,” Mick Doohan said.
“It underpins Dreamworld’s positioning as the ‘Australian theme park’ celebrating our unique Australian culture and its heroes,” Mr Gregg said.
The thing people think is stupid is that DW is trying to pass this off as some sort of patriotic ride somehow trying to suggest that motorcycle racing comes from Australia or that it is unique to Australia. I did a bit of googling, it turns out Motorcycle racing originated in Europe (First recorded race was in the UK) Yeah, our country is home to one of the greatest motorbike racers, but that doesn't make motorbike racing Australian does it, nor does it make it a major part of Australian culture.
This ride is as Aussie as meat pies!
See i disagree. A plain motorbike themed ride isn't distinctively Australian, otherwise you would say this ride is australian themed because it involves motorbikes. All they have done is chucked the words "Mick Doohan" on the front of the name, that alone in my opinion doesn't make it Australian themed. If there was a coaster named like this, would it be 'as Aussie as meat pies" post-88-1186051169_thumb.jpg Edited by Gazza

Why is everyone missing the point so badly!? NOBODY HAS AN ISSUE WITH THE CHOSEN THEME, HOW ABOUT READING STUFF PROPERLY, NOT JUST SKIMMING OVER Sorry to write like that, but its the only way I can get the message across The whole issue is to do with these statements in the press release! The thing people think is stupid is that DW is trying to pass this off as some sort of patriotic ride somehow trying to suggest that motorcycle racing comes from Australia or that it is unique to Australia. I did a bit of googling, it turns out Motorcycle racing originated in Europe (First recorded race was in the UK) Yeah, our country is home to one of the greatest motorbike racers, but that doesn't make motorbike racing Australian does it, nor does it make it a major part of Australian culture.
Well what is Australian then? What is unique to Australia that can be themed into a ride? Im sure they are not trying to pass off motorcycle racing as being invented in this country. Of course its not unique to this country. Surfing is seen as Australian culture but guess what... ? It was invented by the Hawaiians. Edited by Ninja

The thing people think is stupid is that DW is trying to pass this off as some sort of patriotic ride somehow trying to suggest that motorcycle racing comes from Australia or that it is unique to Australia. I did a bit of googling, it turns out Motorcycle racing originated in Europe (First recorded race was in the UK) Yeah, our country is home to one of the greatest motorbike racers, but that doesn't make motorbike racing Australian does it, nor does it make it a major part of Australian culture.
A huh... and let's not forget that the settlements of the Murray river were not originally Australian either. In fact white people in general were not originally from Australia. So I think these statements are really unsupported. As I said, be careful what you consider 'Australian'. Besides, I don't know which press release you guys were reading, but nowhere in the statement did it say, "This coaster proves that Dreamworld is the truly Australian park because we embrase motosports, which is one of Australia's favourite sports." It says (slightly paraphrased), "In the spirit of being an Australian park, we will associate a Motocycle roller coaster with one of our finest achievers in that field, rather than theme it around some American or European nonsense." Edited by Churros

Motorsport is very much a part of australian culture and has a tremendous following. Ofcourse not everyone enjoys it, but the majority of australian will at least show slight interest in some type of motorsport whether it be V8s, indy champ cars, Lemanns, formula 1, moto GP etc. In particular Australians' have a grand tradition with V8 sedans and utes, the fight between Ford vs Holden. It is part of australian culture, may not be everyone's thing, certainly isn't something I watch obsessively but a tremendous amount of people do and motorsport is part of what is representative of australian culture. Now just some photos from tuesday. post-1033-1186062840_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186062969_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186063095_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186063359_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186063600_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186063743_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186064110_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186064307_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186064640_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186065085_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186066071_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186066176_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186066555_thumb.jpg post-1033-1186066633_thumb.jpg

Okay I have been looking at all the photos... is it just me or does the launch track not look like it has anywhere for the catch car to run on? Every Intamin launch until now has used box truss track... this is all flat...
There is another Intamin coaster with a launch that I have seen this type of track, Maverick - http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/_upload/gallery/mvt064.jpg

To clarify, djrappa was referring to Hydraulic launches. A magnetic launch is something I have suspected for a little while with the MDMC, as dj said, there is no catch car track, but there seems to be an absence of a motor room for the launch. Oh, thanks for the pics saberon, huge pics though, 3Mb each :o

I personally rather high res shots as you get a better perspective and you are able to see more detail and zoom in :) Just thinking about the launch point, it maybe possible to run 2 rail and ties launch track design because it probably will not have eddie current rollback breaks so it doesn't need the distance for the pneumatic jacks which the brake fins are connected to. Also the hydraulic motor for this particular ride will be quite small i'd say looking at the requirement for the vekoma hydraulic launch motor which fits into a particularly small cargo container. I'd say if it were going to be a LIM launch the fins would have been preattached at manafacture just like the surfrider at WnW, and if it were LSM I supposed it would have to have massive transformers and powersupplies foundation work for the tranformers due to the large power requirement of LSM. Who knows though could even end up being friction wheel launch. Although I don't know how cheap that amount of friction wheels would be compared to the cost of a hydraulic launch.

Just thinking about the launch point, it maybe possible to run 2 rail and ties launch track design because it probably will not have eddie current rollback breaks so it doesn't need the distance for the pneumatic jacks which the brake fins are connected to
But the thing is for a Hydraulic launch you still need a second smaller track in the middle of the two rails so the catch car has something to run along. Your right in saying they could do away with rollback brakes, but you still need that catch car track. LSM sounds like a pretty likely candidate though, it wouldn't be hard to chuck in a transformer somewhere on site, looking at maverick all they needed was a cable tray beneath the first launch to hold all the equipment.
Who knows though could even end up being friction wheel launch. Although I don't know how cheap that amount of friction wheels would be compared to the cost of a hydraulic launch.
Haha, only the Hulk uses that system, I think we can safely say that system will never be used again, it requires huge amounts of power (IOA actually required a power storage system so that the park would draw a constant amount of power, instead of huge surges whenever the ride would launch. I actually read at one point (dont know if its true though) that if they hadn't used these measures the entire state of florida could experience brownouts each time a launch took place.