Future Events

Richard

Official Roller-Coaster.com.au Events  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you likely attend a full-day event held at one of the Gold Coast's major theme parks in early 2008?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mail-outs and that sort of thing will go out shortly. I wanted to get it started here quietly first to get regulars involved in the planning. With inevitable cancellations, clashes, work commitments and that sort of thing, plus the fact that we don't have any dates set, aiming for at the very least 50 "yes" responses from registered members would be a bare minimum to go ahead with it. I'd expect once a date, park, price and event details are sorted we'd have a few drop out.

I totally agree with Nev, having been on one of these trips myself. A while back we looked at getting ride time on Superman, at that point I didn't really have the relationship with the group I do now (hell maybe I should just make mention of this idea to JSM next time I see him) but the response was pretty much you have to include a full F&B package in order to hire the ride. Which is fine but the price wasn't extremely cheap (but bear in mind that these rides are not cheap to run or staff). Now if we were to go ahead with such a thing I think the park would be more willing to come to the party on other things, perhaps free entry being one of them. I think we would need to pick a ride and run with it, as much as a lights on tour of scooby might sound cool, it's really just a wild mouse in a shed so not much to see with the workers on... Superman would be a good one, as it has both themed and coaster components, it would be someone from Tech Services you'd want to show you around because they will have the answers we would want. You may be able to get a look at the plant rooms, but no persons are premitted in the engine room when the coaster is being launched so don't get your hopes up for that. As far as the right person or persons for Q&A that's really up to what you want to talk about. More than likely if he's around Steve Peet may be happy to chat, he's a really nice guy by all accounts. Perhaps someone like the themed construction manager would be up this groups alley? And again if you want the nuts and bolts questions answered then you want to try and get a hold of tech services... One thing you'll find with a lot of these people at WVTP is they are very into this whole ride thing themselves, so they may be more willing to participate than you think :)

JSM? Ta for finding that out, a tour of Superman probably would be the best thing, though to be honest I dont think anyone would have wanted to be in the engine room during launch, I like having eardrums.... I reckon the former two (Steve Peet ad/or the themed construction manager) would be the most interesting to talk to if we were to have a talk, they would interest more people than just the technically minded, I'd just love to know more about how parks are run. Though knowing me, the themed construction manager would be my pick.

This is where employees on the boards comes in really handy, and I know that Clint and Ian are going to be helpful. Im only guessing here but I'm thinking JSM is Mr. Menzies. All good points Clint and i'm glad you dropped by. It seems pretty obvious that WBMW and SE are the goers on this one. My big post back there was just to throw Ideas around based on the discussions had on these forums in the past. The count is now at 19, so lets spread the word and get our numbers so we can pick a date already!

i've been trying to say this for a little while now, but my vote is rather than suggest, let's do. Richard can we get a serious registration rather than a voting box? something where we can register members and non-members alike? I would love to see this get off the ground, and the sooner the better!

It'll all be arranged in due course. If it goes ahead it won't be for a good six months yet and in the near future we'll be sending out some more in-depth surveys etc. so that we can better plan the event. There's no hurry at this stage - the ball is rolling but there are more important things to do with the site that I'm concerned with for the immediate future. Rest assured that when we do start to lock dates etc. in there will be more than ample time given to everyone so that they can arrange their work commitments and travel/accommodation around the event.

Hey 22 people! Cricket is now possible :rolleyes::P .
Cricket! Cricket! I love Cricket, Nobody will bad mouth cricket as long as I live even if it is the only sport where the spectators get as much exercise as the players, as for the trip if you were willing to let me I'd come, only problem I need Lots of Superman! (even though I've been on it 15 times) And I can drive there no accomadation costs(yey!) Edited by sonic123488

• 1 month later...

It 'sometimes' happens because it really relies upon the whims of the admins to combine your posts. As for the costings of rides, well DW's prices are here, and I would expect a similar level of cost at MW or whatever given they are competing with each other: http://www.dreamworld.com.au/content/speci...=EventsRidesEnt So if we got 50 people (thats normally the minimum) the ride costs alone would take up $52 PP if you went for a big ride......the savings come when you think about the fact the large capacity of the ride is spread across 50 people. People seem pretty fixed on Superman at MW, and if that cost a similar amount then you would pay roughly $3.10 per ride (With 16 rides) Still $52 out of the event fee is a bit expensive for some, It's something you'd need to work at...1/2 hour session maybe? I would still go just for the social aspect and the meet and greet even if ERT wasn't possible. Now as for other suggestions for activities, in October Richo said it would be about 6 months off....well that would place it in April which could coincide with new ride construction, so if you could sort out the safety aspect a site tour could be interesting.

I wish they brang back the Movie Studio tour, it shows the magic of film making and it was one of the best attractions in its time. It doesnt just have benefits for the public, but movieworld could run private tours in the studio with groups of 50 at a time, charging $10 a person and includes food and drinks. If not, movieworld can still attract a much higher amount of guests in the park

Edited by PixelPushed