Mick Doohan-Dreamworlds biggest blunder?

sonic123488

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Dreamworld has done well with the Mick Doohan Motocoaster?

• Yes
    • No

Aaargh how annoying I accidentally voted yes when I meant to vote no because the pole is badly worded. The topic asks if we think the Motocoaster is Dreamworld's biggest mistake so therefore you would answer 'yes'. But when I read the pole question it asks if Dreamworld has done well with the Motocoaster in which case I would say 'no'. Can you change a vote once you've posted it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaargh how annoying I accidentally voted yes when I meant to vote no because the pole is badly worded. The topic asks if we think the Motocoaster is Dreamworld's biggest mistake so therefore you would answer 'yes'. But when I read the pole question it asks if Dreamworld has done well with the Motocoaster in which case I would say 'no'. Can you change a vote once you've posted it?
Look I'm really sorry about the wording, it should say-Do you think the Mick Doohan Motocoaster was a Mistake? Personally, I didn't think it was worth the wait. It was all built up like a really good coaster but the ride time and length is just totally disapointing. The pain is horrible, I think we estblished that in this Topic http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/in...?showtopic=3625All in all I'd say this was a miserable attempt at a "big" ride.I also hope that the next ride they put in at Dreamworld is a better designed one. I think this would think would be a more appropriate addition: http://www.rcdb.com/m/id2536.htm Edited by sonic123488

Yeah before tax.
You're grasping at straws. Even with taxes $300 is still pretty darn cheap for a long flight to another country and a chance to visit Universal. I'd rather spend that than on several identical trips to the GC that's for sure.
I think this would think would be a more appropriate addition: http://www.rcdb.com/m/id2536.htm
I thought you wanted one of these, it is approx 6 mil after all :P:rolleyes: PS, lets not turn this into a wish list topic, we already have one of those. Anyway, getting back to it, how many of you really see an end to the way things are going at the moment, does anyone still hold any real hope for a big thrill ride? I've certainly taken my eggs out of THAT basket. Edited by Gazza

What I am saying is by Macquarie putting a cap on dreamworld expences for the last few years and the next 10 years would cover the cost White Water World without affecting Macquarie bottom line.
I'm talking financial independence from the perspective of the cost of building the water park. It's very black and white; Macquarie Leisure financed the park through a combination of its own capital and loans with the expectation that the park itself could meet associated costs. If it couldn't it'd be a bad investment and that'd be the end of it. Of course they're managed and operated by the same team and are very much in unison, but at no stage does Dreamworld's financial situation play a role in the expenses of building the park. As we speak the water park is surviving on its own and meeting its own expenses relating to its construction, and the net effect to Macquarie Leisure is that they are more profitable than they were before it was built, so any cutbacks at Dreamworld simply aren't related. With a second gate they can also be more strategic about future additions such that they can spend less than they ordinarily would need to to keep each park viable if they weren't in close proximity, and they could also make operational cutbacks such as we saw with the closure of Blue Lagoon, but it's not a situation of starving one so the other can grow. Dreamworld's spending patterns have been relatively consistent since Macquarie Leisure purchased the park a decade ago. Any perceived cutbacks at Dreamworld would be strategic moves, unrelated to the finances of the water park.

As we speak the water park is surviving on its own and meeting its own expenses relating to its construction, and the net effect to Macquarie Leisure is that they are more profitabe than they were before it was built, so any cutbacks at Dreamworld simply aren't related.
Richard where are you getting this information from? I would like to see it so I can make my own judgment on what is being said.

I'd start with the financial releases and reports by Macquarie Leisure for the past 18 months or so (dating prior to the water park up until today). The goal for WhiteWater World was an internal rate of return of around 20% per year and reports since the park opened have suggested that the park is meeting expectations.

I'd start with the financial releases and reports by Macquarie Leisure for the past 18 months or so (dating prior to the water park up until today). The goal for WhiteWater World was an internal rate of return of around 20% per year and reports since the park opened have suggested that the park is meeting expectations.
I am about to print the reports, but just a quick question. Why does Macquarie Leisure Operations Limited value Dreamworld and White Water World together on their corporate web site instead of 2 separate companies? Dreamworld Value $374.3 million as at 30 June 2007 (including White Water World and excess land). This does not make sense to me because WWW has just put in two slides (with their own money) and Dreamworld has just added the Moto-Coaster(with their own money). The two parks have put in different amounts of money but their value has been increased at an equal amount according to the web site. When the two different parks release their assets at the end of the financial year what does WWW do considering it is on Dreamworlds land? Edited by skeetafly

It'd be for the board of directors to decide whether his remuneration is deserving. He is in charge of an organisation that reports profits of about $30 million a year, and I'd be confident salaries are in line with other organisations of a similar size. His predecessor was paid around the same mark as well. Fact is, whether people here like it or not, Dreamworld has been very successful in recent years. As I've said before, I'm not convinced their current methods will translate to long-term success as well, but in the past five years or so, looking at it strictly from a business perspective, they've performed well above the industry average. I should clarify skeetafly that WWW is on track to meet its performance targets for the first year. Strictly speaking it's not there yet, but the latest results only cover its first six months of operation, suggesting that it's on track.

I also agree with you Richard that financial Dreamworld has preformed well in the last 5 years but I don’t think it has a lot to do with Steven Gregg skills in bringing new people to the park. I think is has more to do with Steven tightening the purse strings and the current economy. You can see for your self, in the last financial releases, park numbers are starting to go down. What is worrying to me is dreamworld is not spending money on the upkeep of the park and rides are starting to go missing in action. People might be buying two-year pass now but if in the next couple of years, further rides disappear then people will start going across the road, leaving Dreamworld with annual pass holders who are not injecting anymore money into the park. The figures shown in the news today show that the gold coast is the fastest growing city in Australia and with Dreamworld annual reports showing a lot of their customers are local you would think that Dreamworlds customers should be rising and not falling.

I did ride again on Sunday and the park was a little busy but nobody had to wait long. I little bit of advice as I found out on Sunday. If the restraints are to tight tell the attendant and she will loosen them up because the button is right there and they don’t mind doing it. I also found out it’s is better to wait a couple of extra cycles to ride up the front. Riding up the front normally does not bother me but on this ride it makes a big difference.

Unfortunately I haven't experience the new attraction yet. I must admit all the bad reviews are turning me off the ride, although there has also been a fair share of good reviews as well, so I am currently having mixed views of the ride. I should be heading to the GC for 4 days in the holidays coming up, purely just to experience the Batwing, WWW, Surfrider and Mick Doohan (perhaps the SW Eye as well). What is confusing me is that this ride is from Intamin and all rides I have been on by Intamin have been excellent, so why (according to some) isn't this one. The feeling I am getting from the bad reviews is the people saying "its crap and slow" are simply wanting and hoping the ride is a thrill ride before experiencing it (which is fair enough as DW has put it in there thrill ride category). So if I do get to ride it I'm going for a different approach, I'm taking it as a family coaster with very low thrills. I enjoy a good ride whether it be thrill, wet, family, gentle or transport type ride and key aspects to me is atmosphere and theming. I mean I love the road runner coaster, its not thrilling but its really fun :) I do agree though about some people saying it's been added to the 5 (now 6) thrill rides when it was also stated as a family attraction. To me a family attraction can be enjoy from members of the family of the age of 6 to 70+ and a thrill road could be intended for the same age group, minus the difficulties of height restrictions and health issues. I don't know, like I said, I haven't ridden it so I can't necessarily judge it. Thats just what I think B)

Edited by mickey_079

Yes but dreamworld I never said anything about what it looks like. You saying never judge a book by its cover to me is like saying I said... the ride LOOKS hidious, boring and dull so I'm not going to ride it when I never said anything like that and when infact I actually said I DID want to ride, but ride it with a different perspective than the one originally intended. I stated the reviews turned me off the ride e.g the long queue lines, not turned me off riding the actual thing.

Edited by mickey_079

• 2 weeks later...

If you've read my Dreamworld Report you'll know that last time I was there, both trains are running at full capacity, but the ride can be rid of pain if wear the harness really loose. But I did that last time and it kept pushing itself in during the ride, if it was any longer then I would think that you would get pain no matter how loose. By the way it's actually a world first, First intamin Motorbike Coaster By the way there's some more info and a picture(s) on rcdb here

Edited by sonic123488