NEW RIDE: SPONGEBOB FLYPANTS

Spotty

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in that general area today, the only thing happening was a temporary fence has been put up. Its to be located right outside the Retail shop, in the area that was used for Character runs. Heres a couple of quick photos I managed to grab from inside the retail shop to give you an idea how close it is. Also Dan, Shouldnt be any problems with having to remove this topic or photo, They are advertising it on the side of the temporary fencing. "Spongebob is changing his squarepants for flypants, coming June 08" with that same concept art on it.

Edited by Lotl_90

I was just thinking how many rides would stop operating now a new ride is getting built. Here is my theory- this new ride is replacing the stingray. I have not been to Dreamworld for a while but I believe the stingray has still not been replaced on top of the stingray. I think the stingray was put back up for the Xmas period and will be removed once this new ride is built. I am getting a feeling that Dreamworld is planning for a new ride to be built where the stingray is.

Well, if they DID replace the Stingray with something else I wouldn't object. The ride is starting to show it's age. And that was proven with the unexpected downtime earlier in the year. We could only presume that something was wrong with it that required URGENT attention. It was the same story with Eureka but not as complex as Eureka is seeming to be. I mean it was there from 1983 as the Roulette Wheel, which makes it 24 years old now. So it's certainly lasted it's lifetime. And if it's costing too much to maintain, maybe it is time it gets replaced.

^Translation: They need to build rides for pussbags like me.
Thanks for that rude translation that wasn't even close to what i was getting at. I am talking about an adventure ride that has props, animatronics that goes for atleast 1 minute and has a storyline behind it e.g Wild west falls with a nice thrill in the middle and at the end or just at the end look at Movie world they have at least 4 rides with a pre-show sort of thing Dreamworld needs to at least make one (river rapids isn't even close to being a thrill ride) Edited by PixelPushed

And by doing so, would once again make themselves out to appear copycat. Dreamworld are the ultimate imitator, while Movie World are the innovators. The problem lies with immersive theming. Movie World can pick a movie off the shelf, theme a ride to it, and it is already immersive because the plotline and story are well known, so it doesn't have to be sold. Dreamworld on the other hand have no franchises other than wiggles, nickelodeon and big brother. Unfortunately, this doesn't leave much to theme with. Dreamworld are better doing what they do which is throwing mediocre dollars at mediocre attractions and hyping them up to make it better than it is.... and then poorly maintaining them until they need to be removed. ***Make it last at least a minute? Cycle times of most of the flats in the major parks go for at least triple that. Bermuda is about 6 or 7 minutes... a more realistic timeframe would be good. Something going for a minute - geez... immersive theming? more like McDonalds drive thru (although it's rare those guys hit 1 minute either).

Edited by AlexB

The problem is the majority of Nickelodeon movies out there appeal to those sub-primary school. You're talking an adventure ride in the likes of wild west, scooby doo, etc... You're not getting most 7 year olds on it, and that would be the target demographic of that kind of theming... With the exception of intellectual retards in Junior Highschool that still idolise Spongebob (for girls, its cute... for guys its just complete idiocy.) It would appear as a childrens ride, and you would not get your main demographic riding it - so that kind of attraction would be a white elephant. Don't get me wrong, i'm not trumpeting thrills and all that jazz. I know a park needs a good mix of rides, what I am saying is that you can take something like say - Scooby Doo - a movie that appeals to most age groups, theres the cartoonish aspect for the kids, the double entendre for the adults, the token gorgeous gals to get the teenage boys hooked, and the spunky buff guys to hook the teenage girls, and you've got a well rounded movie that appeals to all age groups. Shrek is similar - the kids don't get the adult jokes, and love the kids aspect that it is set in a fairy tale land. The adults enjoy the double entendre, The teen boys go for the dirty jokes, and the teen girls go for the love story. Both of these movies lead the way into a well themed attraction that people of all ages will flock to. Wild Thornberry's are assimilated with the Rainforest Rampage a ride that by dreamworld's own description is

"filled with over 20,000 foam balls and fitted with foam ball guns and blaster cannons. "
Not the kind of thing I can see anybody going into over the age of about 8 unless they're watching a younger sibling. The only possible thing that dreamworld could do would be to theme like Wild West is - no specific franchise to attach to it, just a well themed, good quality ride. Now first - we need to consider well themed - even if the theming IS done well, which is a stretch at the best of times for dreamworld, it will not be maintained and fall to pieces in a few years, so forget the well themed part. Now we consider good quality - all you have to do is take a look at the history of dreamworld to see what will happen there - and again due to the maintenance as i've already said, anything OF decent quality won't last long. Dreamworld should stick to bought-off-the-shelf thrills with as little to maintain as possible, because they're not going to spend the money to keep it running at top notch. They should also stop going for the record-holders, because record holders are usually one of a kind, which also means more difficult to maintain as the parts are usually a lot harder to come by. The only record holder i'd like to see them go for is a woodie - because while it would be a bitch to maintain, it would be good to have another woodie around.

But if they built a Nickelodeon themed ride, where could they put it? There isn't exactly much space left for expansion of that area. And the location between Nick Stuff and Tiger Island is not a option as that is reserved for WhiteWater World expansion. Also, they could have "Nightmares: The Hollywood Invasion" Where you spend a spine chilling 6 minutes on tour with the worlds most horid celebs. Featuring Tom Cruise throwing phones at you. And not to mention the entrance you walk under a giant Paris Hilton's legs! I don't think that one will happen in a hurry though <_<

i think Tower of Terror has some awesome theming going into it, but could be so much better if they tried. the whole metal and darkness theme needs to be expanded. if they tried they could make it like your in a city a bomb has just gone off or some sort of disaster and the only way out is this super fast devilish looking big metal car. already they have it really dark and black in there. just add a bit more theming and such and it would be so awesome. Bermuda triangle is one of the best rides when it comes to theming. from the moment you enter the queue line you know whats going on. the theming around the ride outside as well is great. go in watch the movie (the theming in the movie hut is great as well) then go down onto a deck to be sent on your mission. the theming all the way through is great as well. what im saying is Dreamworld could turn good rides like tower of terror or giant drop into better rides like bermuda triangle, through the use of a bit more theming.

A few points appear to present themselves here: 1. Nick stuff: Not only will it not appeal universally, it'll also date quite fiercely. The beauty of a Nick licence is that there are the whole library of characters to draw from, and as soon as one dies off there's a new one to take its place. MW can get away with it, because the Looney Tunes are 'classic' Limiting yourself to a single character for a major attraction may not be the best idea. 2. You say the Tower of Terror themeing should have a story of a disaster you have to escape in the pod? Well that WAS the story before the themeing fell apart. For the record it was kinda cool to be ushered through the darkened hallway and go up the elevators, but as far as story goes it wasn't really that well excecuted. 3. Bermuda Triangle is mentioned as having some of the best themeing on the coast (and I'd probably have to agree there), but Bermuda Triangle isn't a film tie-in, its just a theme which fits into the overall theme of the park. 4. Dreamworld have a few themes they could pick from, but the most obvious is a mine theme. Given Eureka seems dead and buried a mine themed coaster or water ride would fit the "Adventure ride" bill nicely. 5. Not really related, but I guess an expansion of what AlexB was saying about general upkeep and themeing standards: Why are the Skylink supports still there? Are they themeing now or something?