2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

You search for something to grip, somewhere to plant your feet, but there’s nothing, just a single harness pinning you into the seat as you bravely face your mission, to feel the surge and ride the wave of Dreamworld’s newest adventure ride, Shockwave. Dreamworld’s latest addition to more than 30 rides, attractions and shows, Shockwave is a daunting sight along the park’s Ocean Parade. One hundred and fifty tonnes of steel, a massive turbine disc and the looming rises and dips of Shockwaves vivid green track are enough to send the weak stomached running for the merry-go-round, and challenge the bravest of action seekers. As you make your way onto the huge 24 person ride disc, grab some seats with your family or your mates and cast your eyes onto the terrified faces of the spectators below. Don’t be fooled as the disc cranks to life, it only takes a few moments before the initial gentle sways to take a turn for the worse and become 360 degree spins of fury. At full speed you’ll be propelled at over 50kph down a 63m long wave-like track that plunges and climbs, so one second you feel completely weightless and the next the full load of gravity takes hold, all while circling at 12 revolutions per minute at up to 2.5Gs. Open to guests for the June/July school holiday period, Shockwave is an electrifying and fun open air adventure that promises to leave you spinning. Discuss it on the Thrillz Forums Now Shockwave Ride Facts: Ride Capacity: Ride Time: Composition: Cycle Time: Track Length: Max Speed: 24 riders per cycle 90 seconds 150 tonnes of steel, 400 tonnes of concrete, 9 tonnes of carriage 4 minutes 63 metres 54kph Acceleration: Disk Rotation: Restraints: Manufacturer: Commissioned: Rider Guidelines: 0.2G – 2.5G 12 RPM Single Back, Dual Locked Safety Restraint Zamperla based in Vicenza, Italy 2011 (June) Must be over 120cm

Source: http://thrillz.com.au/articles/press-releases/dreamworlds-newest-ride-is-on-a-mission-to-shock

Cool that it’s a Disk’o’ coaster, but judging by the description of the ride, is anyone else having a horrible thought that this is going to be the ‘thrill’ ride announced in the ASX release?

I don't think so Gazza, because of this: * Family thrill ride launch for June school holidays * Major thrill ride launch for September school holidays By the way I have some stuff to say regarding the HORRIBLE name/theme choice but I've got to head to work. Will have more to say tonight!

They are saying the ride will be located in Ocean Parade. Okay I really have to stop judging things so quickly before I see the finished product. After learning that this ride will apparently have a 'nautical' theme to fit in with OP, I no longer have any major issue with the name/theme. My concern when I heard the name 'Shockwave' was that it conjures up an image of a travelling portable ride (probably because there are loads of rides named 'Shockwave' on both the travelling circuit and in some dodgy permanent parks) AND it didn't appear to relate to Ocean Parade at all. The Disk 'O ride itself is already so prevalent on the travelling circuit I was thinking the last thing the ride needs is a generic 'carnival' sounding name. From the latest press release it sounds like they will be going to some effort to make this fit with OP and theme it appropriately

Edited by GoGoBoy

^It's sort of that Thorpe Park syndrome, most of the rides there are pretty nicley themed, but the names rarely relate to the actual theme, they more just go for something edgy to reel people in...Eg they have a 1950s hot rod themed launched coaster called "Stealth", and an Atlantis themed screamin swing named 'Rush", to give a couple of prime examples.

So I just noticed that it seems Dreamworld altered their initial media release after posting it. If you look at dodge53's quote of the earlier release above, it had absolutely no reference to an ocean theme. This has since been changed. Instead of just saying 'bravely face your mission' they now say 'bravely face your ocean bound mission' and instead of 'rises and dips of Shockwave's vivid green track' they now say 'rises and dips of Shockwave's vivid sea green track'. Surely it's not possible that they read some of our feedback and changed things that quickly? I know it sounds ridiculous - afterall theming would surely have been worked out well in advance. But it does seem strange that they changed the media release. I would have been really disappointed if DW had stuck with the original 'electrical' theme and not related it to the ocean at all. Let's hope the finished product lives up to this promised sea theme and is not just an after-thought in the press release

http://about.dreamworld.com.au/Media-Centre/Press-Releases/Press-Release-Pages/Shockwave.aspx In full, the revised press release:

You search for something to grip, somewhere to plant your feet, but there’s nothing, just a single harness pinning you into the seat as you bravely face your ocean bound mission, to feel the surge and ride the wave of Dreamworld’s newest adventure ride, Shockwave. Dreamworld’s latest addition to more than 30 rides, attractions and shows, Shockwave is a daunting sight along the park’s Ocean Parade. 150 tonnes of steel make up the looming rises and dips of Shockwaves vivid sea green track and are enough to send the weak stomached running for the merry-go-round, and challenge the bravest of action seekers. Take a journey through an undersea world to reach a hydro-energy plant, the docking station for the huge 24 person deep sea discovery vessel. Grab some seats with your family or friends, lock yourself in and get ready to explore the great deep. Don’t be fooled as the discovery vessel cranks to life, it only takes a few moments before the initial gentle sways to take a turn for the worse and become 360 degree spins of fury. At full speed you’ll be propelled at over 50kph down a 63m long wave-like track that plunges and climbs, so one second you feel completely weightless and the next the full load of gravity takes hold, all while circling at 12 revolutions per minute at up to 2.5Gs. Open to guests this winter holiday period, Shockwave is an electrifying and fun open air adventure that promises to leave you spinning. Shockwave Ride Facts: Ride Capacity: 24 riders per cycle Ride Time: 90 seconds Composition: 150 tonnes of steel, 400 tonnes of concrete, 9 tonnes of carriage Cycle Time: 4 minutes Track Length: 63 metres Max Speed: 54kph Acceleration: 0.2G – 2.5G Disk Rotation: 12 RPM Restraints: Single Back, Dual Locked Safety Restraint Manufacturer: Zamperla based in Vicenza, Italy Commissioned: 2011 (June) Rider Guidelines: Must be over 120cm

I wonder what they have in mind when they say that you "Travel through an undersea world".

...and your thoughts on that Gazza? Don't you think it's a little strange that the press release was suddenly revised? Please tell me they didn't just change their mind about the theme all of a sudden. Surely it would be obvious that when you build a new ride in a certain area of the park, the ride should match that theme. It's just common theme park sense. Oh hang on, this is Dreamworld we are talking about

Haha, atleast they have made a storyline. Strange one though. Interesting to see how it turns out...certainly fairly complicated. They make it sound like the ride is going to travel through some gigantic aquarium, but for dome reason I doubt that ;) Good filler attraction anyway.

Haha, atleast they have made a storyline. Strange one though.

Yeah I agree and think it's good that there's now a storyline. The concept seems fine for this style of ride - as long as they actually follow through with theming to match the concept/story. My concern is that if Dreamworld really did only realise at the last second that they should have an ocean theme and related storyline, then there won't have been enough time to design a reasonable level of theming and presentation to match (if at all!)

The logo suggests some degree of oceanic theme, and this would surely have to have been done from the outset (I doubt they could've "oceanised" the logo with the press release revision in such a short timeframe) : post-88-0-07132600-1305724190_thumb.jpg My thoughts GoGoBoy...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, certainly the Lair looked very good, quite detailed and well done theming, so they may well do something nice here. The construction site has quite a large levelled area on the Ocean Parade side, logically where the queue will go, so they could well fit some good theming in here.

Also what type of Disc'o' has a track of 63m. The Disc'o' coaster is 92m, basic disc'o' around 30m and the mega disc'o' about 40m, so what type of Disc'o' is 63m long (Track length)

Disko Coaster also has 40 passenger vehicle, so it's likely we could be getting a smaller one like Invader at Rainbows end (Which lists it's length as 80m :wacko: ) Could it be that the linear dimension of the ride is 63, but the track itself will be 80m due to the curvature? Edited by Gazza

Couldn't help but mention this but on facebook a comment says sounds like Gravitron but it clearly says Sea Green Track and that its 63m. Also what type of Disc'o' has a track of 63m. The Disc'o' coaster is 92m, basic disc'o' around 30m and the mega disc'o' about 40m, so what type of Disc'o' is 63m long (Track length)

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier. I doubt they would be getting a custom designed model.

I wonder what they have in mind when they say that you "Travel through an undersea world".

You have to remember that right next to Shockwave, there is an Enterprise themed to being a Submarine, and a Gyro Swing which is themed as a claw. Somehow I don't think the themeing for Shockwave will be cohesive, or something that's noticed by guests. Having said that, given the surrounds, I'm not convinced it really has to be, so long as it's well presented it'll fit the area well IMHO

Could it be that the linear dimension of the ride is 63, but the track itself will be 80m due to the curvature?

Not according to Zamperla site DISK'O COASTER Technical data Lenght dimension 81.5 mt – 267.67”' Width dimension 11.3 mt – 37.07” Height dimension 15.5mt – 50.89” Total track lenght 92 mt - 302' Number of trains 1 Passengers per train 24 / 40 Theoretical hourly capacity 500 / 600 pph Minimum passenger height 1,20 mt. (48”) Max speed 14 / 9.5 rpm

You have to remember that right next to Shockwave, there is an Enterprise themed to being a Submarine, and a Gyro Swing which is themed as a claw. Somehow I don't think the themeing for Shockwave will be cohesive, or something that's noticed by guests. Having said that, given the surrounds, I'm not convinced it really has to be, so long as it's well presented it'll fit the area well IMHO

True, but what I was getting at is, are we going to be walking through an aquarium or some sort of undesea base, or a "sea garden" like the Flounder coaster at Disneysea: http://www.rcdb.com/1501.htm?p=14615, or something like what already surrounds reef diver (With fake fish on fibreglass seaweed).

I'm a little worried about the theming, too, seeing as it's not even built yet and it opens on June 25th (and probably an earlier media day). With TOTII, they finished the ride but kept out some aspects of the theming because they didn't have enough time to get them in before launch. Why else would they of kept them out?? I hope this isn't the case for Shockwave and let's wait and see what good ride they can get for $6/7 million. :-)