at dreamworld now taking photo requests

Reanimated35

For me to consider Dreamworld as a "theme park" some changes would be needed.

Again, this is just my opinion and you're entitled to your own. Even though it's wrong.

Lets look at what we have....

Ocean Parade

Claw - half assed theming of what? A giant monster's foot attacking a concrete beach?

Shockwave - Turbines. In some industrial looking water pump style design thing? What?

Wipeout - The true representation of "ocean parade", just add water.

V8 Supercars - oh yeah, I do remember seeing a round where they raced underwater. This could be passable if they upgraded the system to 1 - New liveries 2 - Not Nascar shells 3 - A custom made GC600 track instead of Bathurst.

Cyclone - When it was themed, not much of an ocean connection here. They were making a tornado to test wind speeds or something. Fair enough, but should have been done as waterspouts to suit the ocean theme.

Flowrider - Doesn't really need theming, it's just a wave. It fits.

Reefdiver - Makes sense, although there's not really that much to it.

Zombie Evilution - Surely you don't need me to explain this one to you.

Dreamworks

I'll give them this one. It's actually themed pretty well. Interesting to see what happens when the contract is up though.

Wiggles World

The area itself could use a little something, even if it was just like Dreamworks with the statues up for photos etc.

Big Red Car - Never been on it, but it looks good from the outside.

Little Red Boat - or Big Red Boat - whatever it's called. No real theming, it's just kind of plonked there.

Tower Of Terror

Ummm.... what exact area is this a part of? Wiggles World? Ocean Parade? Tiger Island? Oh yeah, it's in its own little area, themed to what? Turbines and a giant skull.

Motocoaster

Again, it's own little area. No cohesion to the rest of the park, it's just doing its own little thing.

Vintage Cars

Once again - thrown out the back of the park with nothing else. No theme to it. It's just a bit of track around some trees.

Giant Drop

Obviously there's not really any other place for it, but again, they tried to theme the ride itself, not fit it into an existing area. It's about and oil drill. Doesn't even make sense. I mean it might if it was a launched freefall ride, not a drop tower.

Gold Rush Country

Apart from Dreamworks, this is probably the most themed area. However they've ruined it with what they've done to the front of Eureka.

Rocky Hollow Log Ride - Giant mushrooms. Must have been what they were on when they designed the theming.

Thunder river - Makes sense - up until you realise you're looking at someone who's stealing gold. From a mine. While breaking out of a jail cell. Which is underground. In said mine......while dinosaurs wait outside.

Buzzsaw - It's kind of themed. I mean sure, they don't bother turning on half the theming, but it was there. Once.

There's just no connection with the rides that are in each area. Sure, there's "areas" but until they get it fixed and connect everything so it makes sense, to me, it's just an amusement park. Not a "theme" park.

Compare it to Movieworld - there's distinct areas, each with rides connected to their relevant theme.

the park still has some themed areas.

Dreamworld having 'some themed areas' does not make it a theme park.

All the areas in Dreamworld are themed.

Make up your mind. I'll take your first unsolicited statement - that only SOME areas are themed.

I do actually agree with that, but I would say Dreamworld would choose a theme for an area and then the rides are based around that theme.

How is a zombie invasion suited to an Ocean themed area?

How is an Oil Rig suited to... I don't even know what area it's supposed to be in now.

***********BREAKING NEWS******************

Even Dreamworld have given up - There is no 'Ocean Parade' anymore. The park map shows three categories - World of Thrill, World of Family and World of Kids (plus Tiger Island and Corroborree).

Dreamworld Park Map

And nobody can argue that those are 'themed areas' as Shockwave, Ogre-Go-Round, Thunder River and Vintage Cars are in the 'World of Family' section, despite being in 4 different sections of the park.

It's official - Dreamworld is no longer a theme park. Based on these ' Worlds ' you could sell tickets based on whether you're riding 'thrill' 'family' or 'kids' and sell wristbands like Luna Park Sydney:

Unlimited Rides Pass - Yellow (130cm+)

Unlimited Rides Pass - Green (106-129cm)

Unlimited Rides Pass - Red (85-105cm)

Edited by AlexB

Even Dreamworld have given up - There is no 'Ocean Parade' anymore. The park map shows three categories - World of Thrill, World of Family and World of Kids (plus Tiger Island and Corroborree).

Dreamworld Park Map

In saying that. Even they're confused. According to that map, there's "Worlds" but the map itself still shows "ocean parade" and the rest still existing.

For me to consider Dreamworld as a "theme park" some changes would be needed.

Again, this is just my opinion and you're entitled to your own. Even though it's wrong.

Lets look at what we have....

Ocean Parade

Claw - half assed theming of what? A giant monster's foot attacking a concrete beach?

Shockwave - Turbines. In some industrial looking water pump style design thing? What?

Wipeout - The true representation of "ocean parade", just add water.

V8 Supercars - oh yeah, I do remember seeing a round where they raced underwater. This could be passable if they upgraded the system to 1 - New liveries 2 - Not Nascar shells 3 - A custom made GC600 track instead of Bathurst.

Cyclone - When it was themed, not much of an ocean connection here. They were making a tornado to test wind speeds or something. Fair enough, but should have been done as waterspouts to suit the ocean theme.

Flowrider - Doesn't really need theming, it's just a wave. It fits.

Reefdiver - Makes sense, although there's not really that much to it.

Zombie Evilution - Surely you don't need me to explain this one to you.

Dreamworks

I'll give them this one. It's actually themed pretty well. Interesting to see what happens when the contract is up though.

Wiggles World

The area itself could use a little something, even if it was just like Dreamworks with the statues up for photos etc.

Big Red Car - Never been on it, but it looks good from the outside.

Little Red Boat - or Big Red Boat - whatever it's called. No real theming, it's just kind of plonked there.

Tower Of Terror

Ummm.... what exact area is this a part of? Wiggles World? Ocean Parade? Tiger Island? Oh yeah, it's in its own little area, themed to what? Turbines and a giant skull.

Motocoaster

Again, it's own little area. No cohesion to the rest of the park, it's just doing its own little thing.

Vintage Cars

Once again - thrown out the back of the park with nothing else. No theme to it. It's just a bit of track around some trees.

Giant Drop

Obviously there's not really any other place for it, but again, they tried to theme the ride itself, not fit it into an existing area. It's about and oil drill. Doesn't even make sense. I mean it might if it was a launched freefall ride, not a drop tower.

Gold Rush Country

Apart from Dreamworks, this is probably the most themed area. However they've ruined it with what they've done to the front of Eureka.

Rocky Hollow Log Ride - Giant mushrooms. Must have been what they were on when they designed the theming.

Thunder river - Makes sense - up until you realise you're looking at someone who's stealing gold. From a mine. While breaking out of a jail cell. Which is underground. In said mine......while dinosaurs wait outside.

Buzzsaw - It's kind of themed. I mean sure, they don't bother turning on half the theming, but it was there. Once.

There's just no connection with the rides that are in each area. Sure, there's "areas" but until they get it fixed and connect everything so it makes sense, to me, it's just an amusement park. Not a "theme" park.

Compare it to Movieworld - there's distinct areas, each with rides connected to their relevant theme.

Now that you have done this I realise that Dreamworld suck at theming. I know that it wasn't great, but because you have gone through each ride I understand what everyone is saying. I would still class the park as a theme park. I think an amusement park is one that can be moved around easy.

I guess this is the difference between your real park aficionado and your average punter.

I'd be in the second group and I wouldn't even notice most of the theming stuff.

Using Shockwave as an example, my kids and I enjoy the ride. We couldn't care less if it is an ocean style ride or not, in fact I've probably been on it 25 times and I couldn't even tell you anything about the surrounds.

I understand the overall park experience and how somewhere like Movie World is great because the surrounds and the actors add to the experience but at the end of the day I see it more as 'icing' that is nice but worth very little compared to the cake.

I guess this is the difference between your real park aficionado and your average punter.

I'd be in the second group and I wouldn't even notice most of the theming stuff.

Using Shockwave as an example, my kids and I enjoy the ride. We couldn't care less if it is an ocean style ride or not, in fact I've probably been on it 25 times and I couldn't even tell you anything about the surrounds.

I understand the overall park experience and how somewhere like Movie World is great because the surrounds and the actors add to the experience but at the end of the day I see it more as 'icing' that is nice but worth very little compared to the cake.

This is my point. This is why Dreamworld doesn't need to improve. To most people who go there, they don't care what it's themed to, they're not expecting Disneyland. They just go for the rides. Which is fine, and as I've said before, Dreamworld is a great park as long as you don't go there for anything except thrills. Visiting Dreamworld for theming is like visiting a brothel for love.

The rides on their own are fine, but the question raised was what they had to do in my opinion for me to call them a "theme" park. That's what I answered. For my opinions on the park itself, I posted a review a month or so back on here.

does it really matter if Dreamworld is a theme park or an amusement park? I can picture reanimated and Co walking around Dreamworld feeling smug because they are the only ones that know that dw really is an amusement park.

I'm sorry, were you just trying to get your post count up or did you want to contribute something to the discussion?

It's not about whether it matters or not, nor is it about feeling "smug" while walking around the park (I mean wtf?) It's simply just having a discussion and replying to questions.

Dreamworlds park map is so ugly and inaccurate. They don't even realize that the Cyclone is located out of place in the middle of WWW. According to the map there is no rollercoaster in the centre of WWW.

More likely, they were too cheap to have an artist draw a 'map for DW' a 'map for WWW' and a 'map for both' so they've just taken the two standalone images and placed them side by side...

An uniced cake is likely to be a dry block of bread-like substance. Its edible, it has taste, but theres no 'wow'. Its subsistence, not extravagance... Hence the expression 'thats the icing on the cake' - it's what really 'makes' your day.

I hear your point about not noticing the theme for Shockwave - part of that may be because it wasn't important to you, but part of that was because they did a piss-poor job at theming it (painted woodchips anyone?). Take a look at Aussie World's Redback (a similar model from the same manufacturer) and you'll see some great theming, with a full lighting-package included. All this from a third-rate park trying to improve itself.

but compare shockwave to batwing (which I'll admit is one of MW's most poorly themed rides). We still have 'bat-vehicles' around, and in alignment with the justice league compound, it's not hard to visualise you're in 'superhero' area... green lantern, JL3d, Superman - even Arkham around the corner with Batman standing atop of it... Even though the area straddles main street and the fountain, it's still a clear 'superhero' zone.

My only disappointment in MW's theming is that you exit 'Spooky Island's Spooky Coaster' in a western area. I would have loved if Boot Hill was made into more of a tropical island feel on one side (similar to the scenes on the Quad Bike in the movie), with the associated western area still reflected on the other side - maybe divided by a hedge or other thick bush.

That said, on the topic of MW's theming - it is obvious effort has been put into the blank wall blocking chinatown off from Main Street, as the panels are aligned matching with the bank - but it's still just a blank wall - even Sea World's 'green bush' wraps on their construction fences had more effort put in. I realise the gates are in use and all - but can't they turn that blank wall into something more? Even just a perspective wall, like the Western Saloon or Perspective Alley - just a mural that fits with the rest of the area would have been nice...

One that I wouldn't mind and keep forgetting to take myself - as you enter the park and head immediately left, just in front of the lockers there is a newer looking circle of concrete where it looks like something used to be. I don't recall anything ever being out in front of the lockers like that so if you could put a pic up for people to see what I'm talking about that would be great thanks.

At this point I might be heading back March 7, so if that eventuates I'll take photo requests again.

Dreamworld used to have very detailed park maps. Google "Dreamworld Dreamsite" to check out classic maps and more! The current map is with out a doubt the most ugliest and useless map ever. I guess Dreamworld can't afford a decent map artist like Village. Back on topic photograph all the turbines you see, poor theming, cost cutting and abandonment issues.

Edited by Gary86