Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, it's no different. That too is selfish. 

Its like people in an apartment complex that go and reserve tables they want for lunch from 7am to make sure they get them meanwhile no one can use them all day. 

fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

As far as I'm concerned if that's the worst thing I do, then I'm not doing too bad. In the grand scheme of selfish acts one could do, it'd be nearer to the bottom.

Hang on a second... that's the kraken.

Also judging by the size of the land I reckon Iwerks' prediction of a Wet Abyss is a possibility, as well as my prediction of a ProSlide Tornado. Either of those two are very good possibilities, and probably the only ones I can think of.

I'm suggesting the name of the new water attraction is Kraken. I can't think of any other sea creature (fictitious or not) that destroys pirate ships.

Look i was right. I guessed this name ages ago. :)

Talking about the Free fall got me thinking. If it ever does get replace I would love to see a Wind seeker put there. (A family ride with a great view) It would add some height to the sky line of AW. There 92 meters tall or AW could try and break the record. Online it says they are $5,000,000-$6,500,000. (Just under water the Monster is) Just saying it would be good to see AW get a nice new flat ride for the family in the future. Or even they could place it on the island where the castle use to be and theme it to something abandoned? (I am not saying now but I mean in the future addition to the park)

I think some nice new family rides (Flat rides) would be good additions to the park as the park has no real family flat rides. They have family rides but no family flat rides. But also for something even like a Huss Giant Frisbee would be a good flat thrill ride for the park I believe. (they have some nice theming options with them also)

gfrisbeethm_01.thumb.jpg.90a529219ad06aa

giantfrisbeexl_told_01.thumb.gif.f0adca5

Even a copy of Surfrider or wicked Twister at cedar point would be I think a good fit for AW. Wicked Twist is $9,000,000 so cheaper than the abyss and is a small footprint. But unlike Abyss they are more targeted at family's. Or even a nice family water ride around the island that the castle is on. Like Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point. It cost $10,500,000 and could be themed to a abandoned island or something and then be a land inside AW and have something like the Huss Frisbee in the middle of the island then those rides together become a land. They could even put something like Tail spin on the island. Or they could even put some little waterslides into Dragons Kingdom for the kids (Like Wet N Wild has) or even add a few more little kids rides like the helicopters or a merry go round and theme it to dragons kindom. 

I am not saying AW is bad. I am trying to say there are many great family attractions AW could put in to help market a family day out even further and make for some nice new possibly world record rides and make them themed like making a new land themed to an abandoned island using the old island. My point is that there are a lot of nice family rides AW could put in and I hope Adventure World has put some family flat rides in their 5 year plan or whatever it is called. But to people that are not aware Perth was rated by the New York Times as number 9 in the top 52 places to travel to in 2014. QANTAS has just said they want to make Perth the international gateway from Europe to Australia and with all the investments the WA government and private business are putting into Perth I believe Perth is and will continue to boom. We are now seeing construction everywhere (Elizabeth Quay, Perth's new stadium, new road works and so on) and even AW is putting multi Million dollar attraction in like Abyss and MI2

Edited by Tim Dasco

Couple of things to remember...

1. Wicked Twister was built in 2002. According to US Inflation rates, $9m in 2002 is approximately $11,940,000 now.
  2. Then you've got exchange rates - $9,000,000 US Dollars equals $12,297,620.97 Australian Dollars (current)
  3. So $11,940,000 would be $16,314,843.82 to build Wicked Twister today.
  4. That said - using the same math - Abyss at $12,000,000USD = $12,293,461.88 to account for inflation, making Abyss' cost in today's dollars $16,797,814.98AUD... so - you COULD build Wicked Twister for less than it cost to build Abyss, but only just - and to be honest - when you see what Abyss is and compare it to WT - would you really want to spend that much on something so bare?

Not to mention - as we've discussed many times previously - shipping, labour and construction costs are usually much higher in Australia than it is overseas... to the total cost is likely to be more than that.

That said - using the same math - Abyss at $12,000,000USD = $12,293,461.88 to account for inflation, making Abyss' cost in today's dollars $16,797,814.98AUD.

Not sure why we are quoting the price in USD for abyss? Adventure World always promoted the ride as a $12 Million dollar attraction, and I think its safe to say that they were talking AUD at the time. Why would a local park that serves the Perth market be quoting a foreign currency?

Wicked Twist is $9,000,000 so cheaper than the abyss and is a small footprint. But unlike Abyss they are more targeted at family's. 

I can tell you right now that when I was at Cedar Point families certainly weren't the ones riding Wicked Twister. 

Edited by Gazza

If you're looking at a family coaster, I would probably go lean towards something such as a Gerstrauler Family Coaster or Bobsled Coaster, or even an Intamin Family Coaster. All of those coasters appear to be just as enjoyable to enthusiasts and adults as they do children. Take a look at Dollywood's Firechaser Express as an example. It's received praise for being an really good ride, even though it's targeted to younger audiences. 

As for flats, I would probably look at Zamperla's catalogue. They seem to have more family based attractions then most other manufacturers. 

In the long term, I've always thought that AW could do with an indoor attraction to address rainy days or Perth's extreme heat.  Something on the lines of Disney's Spaceranger Spin or a smaller/simpler version of Space Mountain.  Rollercoasters are always exciting when you can't see where you're going.

Edited by Adam C