Great Escape closure

Aw hype

Well I drove past Hilary's today, and it definitely looks like great escape is closed. Just an empty park and closed gates, no employees or anything, and it doesn't look like any deconstruction/redevelopment is going on as of yet. It is sad to see it go though, in such a nice area for a park like itself. I'm sure many people have had memories there,and I for one had my primary school graduation living on the twister. Is it just me or does every park in Perth just seem to close?? At least we've still got aw, but are now left with nothing north of Perth. Sorry no photos my phone died.

@Aw hype we have the Maze. However the local council are trying very hard to stop the Maze from expanding as they should be half way though their 10 year plan now and they have only done half of stage one out of their proposed 10 stages. Maybe the Maze could purchase the great escape slides even if they are only temp until they can get their new slides. But it is sad to see it go. :( 

Yh it's annoying that the maze only have a waterslideplayground when they should have half of their park completed, and the only new thing they've got since stage one is that little blow up slide there getting this season, when that waterpark comes back to ascot with massive slides. Anyway, about a year and a half ago, I messaged the maze on fb asking when stage 2 would open, and they said "we are at the final stages of approval from the city of swan". That was over a bloody year ago and even though it would be cheap for the maze to buy from great escape, they won't get much attention for slides that are down there with Kalamunda,and that have been open since mirrabooka action park. My question is, what does the city's of swan have against the maze opening slides, when all it will do is bring people and tourism to the area

Whilst it's nice to give The Great Escape its own thread, we've kinda covered a lot of this, starting from here:

It sucks that we've had to wait for the development of The Maze.  Whilst I first thought they were just trying to save money by stalling their plans to develop, it does seem like they've really been up against it with the few neighbours they do have there complaining bitterly about the noise and the concern about the fact that the park actually crosses over the Dampier to Bunbury gas pipeline.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas of how much the lease is on the land? Don't exactly look like there interested in keeping rides there. Hopefully they don't just turn it into apartments and/or a retail precinct. That raises the question, would the slides be sold to another park/aquatic centre? Any ideas other than the maze? Craigie centre outside pool area?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went up to hillarys boat harbour yesterday, and its not looking good. The trampolines have all been removed, along with the two kiddy rides and the playgrounds/bounce houses. The waterslide had no running water, and the pitch black slide (don't know name) had tarp covering the exit. Also, the 'jungle' climb attraction had had the elastic ropes cut, and people were working on the 6d cinema, presumably setting it up for demolition 

Edited by Aw hype
Typo

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Adam C said:

I was passing the Great Escape yesterday.  No surprise that it’s still locked up.  What’s the thinking on maintaining the water slides?  Will there come a point where they’ll only be good for scrap?

Im not sure what the slides are like, because I've never visited before. However I'd say it could be because another park is going to/has purchased them.

32 minutes ago, dukeofwhales said:

The GRP itself isn't even that old.  When I was going as a little tacker they were all green.  I coudn't put an exact date on it but a complete replacement of the slides was done maybe 10 years ago? Maybe a little less?

They never replaced the slides they simply repainted them blue form the original green. I found a video of the slides from 1995. I haven't been able to find when they opened but they have been there at least 22 years since 1995. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

They never replaced the slides they simply repainted them blue form the original green. I found a video of the slides from 1995. I haven't been able to find when they opened but they have been there at least 22 years since 1995. 

Pretty sure they're the slides are the old ones from mirrabooka action park (now defunct)

• Richard changed the title to Great Escape closure
22 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Oh yeah? My mistake.  I haven't been since they were painted so I hadn't seen them up close.  They were pretty rough when I was riding them 15 years ago so I guess I just assumed they'd been replaced.  Does this mean the formerly translucent slides (three of the four) are now pitch black?