Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aw hype

Great EScape closure

12 posts in this topic

Well I drove past Hilary's today, and it definitely looks like great escape is closed. Just an empty park and closed gates, no employees or anything, and it doesn't look like any deconstruction/redevelopment is going on as of yet. It is sad to see it go though, in such a nice area for a park like itself. I'm sure many people have had memories there,and I for one had my primary school graduation living on the twister. Is it just me or does every park in Perth just seem to close?? At least we've still got aw, but are now left with nothing north of Perth. Sorry no photos my phone died.

@Aw hype we have the Maze. However the local council are trying very hard to stop the Maze from expanding as they should be half way though their 10 year plan now and they have only done half of stage one out of their proposed 10 stages. Maybe the Maze could purchase the great escape slides even if they are only temp until they can get their new slides. But it is sad to see it go. :( 

Yh it's annoying that the maze only have a waterslideplayground when they should have half of their park completed, and the only new thing they've got since stage one is that little blow up slide there getting this season, when that waterpark comes back to ascot with massive slides. Anyway, about a year and a half ago, I messaged the maze on fb asking when stage 2 would open, and they said "we are at the final stages of approval from the city of swan". That was over a bloody year ago and even though it would be cheap for the maze to buy from great escape, they won't get much attention for slides that are down there with Kalamunda,and that have been open since mirrabooka action park. My question is, what does the city's of swan have against the maze opening slides, when all it will do is bring people and tourism to the area

Whilst it's nice to give The Great Escape its own thread, we've kinda covered a lot of this, starting from here:

It sucks that we've had to wait for the development of The Maze.  Whilst I first thought they were just trying to save money by stalling their plans to develop, it does seem like they've really been up against it with the few neighbours they do have there complaining bitterly about the noise and the concern about the fact that the park actually crosses over the Dampier to Bunbury gas pipeline.

Interesting meeting appears to have taken place at The Great Escape, today.  I just happened to be hanging around waiting for another whale watching cruise, when these guys passed me by.

IMG_7561b.JPG

IMG_7566b.JPG

IMG_7568b.JPG

IMG_7578b.JPG

IMG_7579b.JPG

Any ideas of how much the lease is on the land? Don't exactly look like there interested in keeping rides there. Hopefully they don't just turn it into apartments and/or a retail precinct. That raises the question, would the slides be sold to another park/aquatic centre? Any ideas other than the maze? Craigie centre outside pool area?

It does seem like they're genuinely trying to find another tenant. I don't want to think about other options just yet. It'd be a shame if they just turned it into another pub or restaurant.

Posted (edited)

Went up to hillarys boat harbour yesterday, and its not looking good. The trampolines have all been removed, along with the two kiddy rides and the playgrounds/bounce houses. The waterslide had no running water, and the pitch black slide (don't know name) had tarp covering the exit. Also, the 'jungle' climb attraction had had the elastic ropes cut, and people were working on the 6d cinema, presumably setting it up for demolition 

Edited by Aw hype
Typo