Mt Druitt water works?

Gazza

Danieeel, Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough sorry I'll try again, I remember as a young child going to a park in the early 80's a fair few times, a few years later it was closed and a gold course was built on, so I am told...I have no idea when it opened or exactly where it was. It featured as I can remember = large castle with bridge, a large shoe, paddle boats and this large concrete reptile you walk inside that was empty..which was really bad! I'll scan some pics on the weekend maybe that might help. Cheers Sean

In about 1996 my Dad took me to eastern creek raceway to see the truck races, i must have been 11 or something. I destinctively remember on the way home we drove past what looked like an old defunct themepark. It had a big paper mache gorilla out the front of it, but even then this park looked abandoned and crappy. Still, i begged dad for us to go have a look, he said it didnt look like anyone was even there and it was probably dangerous (ahah) Is this one of the parks you guys are talking about?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the old fun pier at Manly? Remember going there as a kid in the 80's. Even then it was run down. Does anyone remember when it closed? Also can anyone verify the rumor of the octopuss ride collapsing and floating into the water and still running? Or was that one of those urban legends just like the water works razor blades story? Where have the Ashfield water slides gone to? My brother heard that all 3 slides were brittle and falling apart, so they had to tear them down. Mel.

I remember Tilt, but wasn't that at druitt? It was a timezone sort of place. I think I recall the fun pier that Mel is talking about (by the way, welcome!). I was very young at the time of it's existance, however I do remember a Ring of Fire ride. The only ride that I would go on (I think I was 4 at the time) was a little kiddie motorbike ride. Do these rides seem familiar, mel?

Yes Daniel is spot on (which is surprising considering Manly is a northern suburb and Daniel is a hardcore westy). The amusements at Manly Wharf were definitely called 'Tilt'. As you guys have figured out Tilt was a chain of amusement centres similar to Timezone. The Manly Wharf Tilt consisted of both the downstairs games arcade and also a couple of rides which were located upstairs on the pier. There was a largish ferris wheel, a carousel and not too much else. The ferris wheel was quite good because it was right on the end of the pier over the water. For that reason and also considering the fact it was not in a great state (fairly rusty) in it's last few years, it was a scary/fun ride. The whole Manly Wharf complex was basically a shopping centre adjoining the pier with a few touristy shops, a McDonalds and the games arcade downstairs. It was designed to be like a mini Harbourside (Darling Harbour shopping centre) but never quite worked. It was all very 80's. Most of the 2 levels of shops were never fully leased out. It stayed like that for years and was all a bit sad really. Just recently (a few years ago) they took away all the rides and refurbished the entire complex. The pier which was once home to the rides is now home to a trendy outdoor bar. The adjoining shopping centre building was almost completely rebuilt and now houses a couple of upmarket restaurants, a large Bay Swiss and various food outlets on the ferry side. It is now just 1 level... I think the downstairs area including the games arcade might have been turned into a car park but I'm not totally sure

The Ring of Fire ride at Manly fun pier could quite well have been there, Flea. What I remember of the place was a mixture of kiddies & adults rides as well as arcade games. It was located right next to the ferry terminal. The last time I was there was in 88 with my family & we were the only ones there! Tilt was put in after they closed the fun pier & renovated the wharf, I think sometime in the early 90s. All that was left was the ferris wheel, carousel & a games arcade.

I know what your talking about now. The place on the manly wharf after the terminal. I think i only saw it running once in it's lifetime and I never went there. Sorry for the confusion, but i was also establishing that there was a place called TILT at WESTFEILD Miranda. (I also didn't know that this place in Manly was called TILT) Sorry.

TILT was/is a chain of amusement arcades like Timezone. I remember going to Manly on the ferry and seeing the rides on the jetty and they did run, this was in the early to mid '90's and TILT was operating at the same time. The only ride that I remember was the Ferris wheel, but do recall other rides. "The Bus is now leaving for Tilted Chasm, Tasmania"

• 2 months later...
Does anyone remember the old fun pier at Manly? Remember going there as a kid in the 80's. Even then it was run down. Does anyone remember when it closed? Also can anyone verify the rumor of the octopuss ride collapsing and floating into the water and still running? Or was that one of those urban legends just like the water works razor blades story?
I remember the old run down Manly Fun Pier. The Octopus was very scary looking. Not sure about it collapsing. From memory there was also an indoor Sizzler/Cha Cha. Very run down as well. Remember going to O'Neils Great Adventure Land many a time too. Back then O'Neils always had big crowds, even with their carny rides. Have some old photos from O'Neils. Ah the memories. It is a real shame that so many of the theme parks in Sydney have closed. :(