The Giant Drop Refurbishment 2022

Ok they never had a date, and only extended the date as delays that were well dealt with and clearly explained came along. 
Got it makes total sense now. Youre right, its way different to that other park.

I had it in my head that you were just manipulating words around to assemble a story that fitted a reality you were making up. My bad

2 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Dreamworld never announced an opening date for the updated Giant Drop, only extended the maintenance period as delays were dealt with. Delays are understandable, what made New Atlantis so mismanaged was their poor reasoning (or lack of it entirely) for said delays, and their multiple announcements for 'set in stone' opening dates that never got met.

You're so close to getting it.

11 minutes ago, Slick said:

At a macro level they're the same thing, you're just focussing on micro detail to justify some sort of good/bad dichotomy that doesn't exist.

How is a park openly announcing & advertising an opening date for a ride, then delaying it and openly advertising a later date about 5 more times til they eventually figured out they could hold off on advertising an opening date til they know it’ll actually be ready & it (barely) opening over 2 years behind schedule ‘the same thing’ as a park silently prolonging a ride’s maintenance period by 6 months after never announcing/advertising an opening date? The issue wasn’t that New Atlantis suffered issues, that was totally understandable being a whole new coaster to Village, not to mention the obvious Covid delays, the issue was that Sea World kept advertising opening dates they couldn’t meet.

Edited by Tricoart

I'm confused, how do you mean they didn't announce an opening date?

Wouldn't the opening date just be the day after the end of the maintenance period?

Eg with Serpent Slayer, the maintenance period ends 24th of March therefore opening date is the 25th of March.

Am I missing something here or am I some kind of genius?

image.thumb.png.7b2877771b0a86ccb38840687b08fec5.png

2 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I'm confused, how do you mean they didn't announce an opening date?

Wouldn't the opening date just be the day after the end of the maintenance period?

Eg with Serpent Slayer, the maintenance period ends 24th of March therefore opening date is the 25th of March.

Am I missing something here or am I some kind of genius?

image.thumb.png.7b2877771b0a86ccb38840687b08fec5.png

You're pretty much on the money.

11 minutes ago, New display name said:

@SlickI don't think DW control the wind.

But Sea World can, right? And I get we can debate for days about the specifics of both (and I'm sure @Tricoart will in due course), there's just a degree of denialism that seems to prevail in spite of some fundamental truths (e.g. that Giant Drop never had an opening date or never did a quiet date shift, or that Dreamworld hasn't had a long, storied history of doing exactly these kinds of things).

Point is, folks really want to force this Ardent good, Village bad thing and it's getting a little long in the tooth. Neither is evil and expressing a constructive opinion that is often fuelled by a want for either business to do better does not automatically correlate to a hate for the other business.

Just now, Slick said:

Point is, folks really want to force this Ardent good, Village bad thing and it's getting a little long in the tooth. Neither is evil and expressing a constructive opinion that is often fuelled by a want for either business to do better does not automatically correlate to a hate for the other business.

I was telling you what the delay was.  I have no intention of getting into the Village/Ardent debate.

39 minutes ago, Gazza said:

That would be inferred, not announced. I really don’t get how it’s hard to see the difference.

28 minutes ago, Slick said:

But Sea World can, right? And I get we can debate for days about the specifics of both (and I'm sure @Tricoart will in due course)

Sea World can’t, Dreamworld can’t, no one can.

e.g. that Giant Drop never had an opening date or never did a quiet date shift, or that Dreamworld hasn't had a long, storied history of doing exactly these kinds of things

GD might’ve had an opening date at one point, but it wasn’t announced. The only people that thought it had an opening date were the people stalking the maintenance page, and inferred an opening date from the end of maintenance. All the general visitors have seen is that it’s opening soon, unlike with New Atlantis, who were announcing opening dates left & right, misleading/confusing the general visitor til they finally reverted to ‘opening soon’ for the last few months prior to it’s opening. 

I agree, no business is inherently worse than the other, but the way they go about things can be. Saying ‘The Giant Drop is as mismanaged as Leviathan’ is a far stretch for ‘expressing a constructive opinion’. I’m only stressing that I disagree with the opinion because I’d like to see VRTP taking notes from how DW are handling it, and doing better in the future (e.g. with WoO).

Edited by Tricoart

18 minutes ago, New display name said:

I was telling you what the delay was.  I have no intention of getting into the Village/Ardent debate.

No you're all good mate. It looks to be a reason, but it hasn't been the sole reason either.

6 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

The only people that thought it had an opening date were the people stalking the maintenance page

The re-opening date has, was and still is in a bold blue box on the Giant Drop page which is where the announcement has, was and still is. The irony here is that I pointed out how folks essentially nit-pick to ignore the bigger themes at play, and you doubled down on specifics. 😄

10 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Saying ‘The Giant Drop is as mismanaged as Leviathan’

Nor did I say that either. But you kinda played into my hand in showing the bias you have by inferring my assumed position.

7 minutes ago, Slick said:

Nor did I say that either. But you kinda played into my hand in showing the bias you have by inferring my assumed position.

I wasn't talking about you, quoted was the opinion that started the conversation you're jumping into.

14 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

Opening dates about as reliable as Leviathan

7 hours ago, Tricoart said:
7 hours ago, Slick said:

I wasn't talking about you, quoted was the opinion that started the conversation you're jumping into.

22 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

Opening dates about as reliable as Leviathan

Im really confused. How did you turn my little tongue in cheek comment about it being delayed into some suggestion I said Dreamworld are mismanaging things? I didnt say that. 
You went on some big tangent that Seaworld is badly run and Dreamworld isnt and Im not sure why or how any of that came from my little comment. 
Sorry if I triggered a saw point or something where the Seaworld park treated you badly in the past. 

13 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Im really confused. How did you turn my little tongue in cheek comment about it being delayed into some suggestion I said Dreamworld are mismanaging things? I didnt say that. 
You went on some big tangent that Seaworld is badly run and Dreamworld isnt and Im not sure why or how any of that came from my little comment. 
Sorry if I triggered a saw point or something where the Seaworld park treated you badly in the past. 

You're all good mate, @Tricoart was clutching at straws - I don't think Dreamworld are mismanaging Giant Drop refurb, rather, was just pointing out that it's not uncommon.

3 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

You said it's opening dates are as unreliable as Leviathan's were (which was referred to as 'a constructive opinion'). Of which, Levi's opening dates were, at least in my opinion, as unreliable as they were due to it's opening being a mismanaged one, hence the use of the word 'mismanaged' instead of 'unreliable' when referring to the point of your original message. If you don't agree, or think the word 'mismanaged' is too harsh, then I apologise for rewording it. You didn't trigger any sore point, I don't believe that Sea World as a whole is badly run, nor do I believe that one company/park is inherently ran worse than the other, because I (like everyone on here) know barely anything extensive about how either of them are ran, and that would be an extremely broad statement to make. My responses to your messages led to others chiming in and stating that maintenance pages are equal to official park announcements/advertisements, and that both given situations are the same thing 'at a macro level', which I responded to in disagreement with, and that then became this.

Edited by Tricoart