Dreamworld “tip the talent” event

REGIE

Not sure exactly what this is supposed to be but more activity in the park is always nice. But it seems like it’s only for DW night markets? And free entry? Not sure how this is profitable.  But it will create a good atmosphere which is always great.  Seems a bit last minute as it literally starts tomorrow. Thoughts?

ED8EB4E0-7C09-4109-95F0-9B13B59231E9.jpeg

EF50C45D-E844-4376-83C6-26D05D1734E4.jpeg

The night markets have always had live entertainment - they are just using the weekend to allow buskers to show their skills.

it’s also not last minute as it’s been being promoted for a couple of weeks now. 

the vendors pay to operate at the market, so that’s where the profit comes from 

• Like 3

Good to know. I haven’t been to the night market yet because it’s a long drive home for me. I just noticed the post so I didn’t realise it’s been promoted. I think night markets is cool! I do hope this year there’s 1 or 2 nights they don’t have the market and run the rides though but what ever works.  Also I saw this photo: credit @jaggs journeys. Nothing beats a arrow lift at night..

B8A50A8E-D37E-480A-AE34-EEF3A879DA13.jpeg

Entry has always been free for passholders and anyone that is already in the park at 5pm, so the entry fee only applies to non-passholders coming in after park hours for the food trucks. And it's only $2, so not much more than a token fee anyway. 

Waiving the fee on buskers night is a good gesture as anyone who hasn't paid entry will feel more generous towards tipping the buskers, which is how they make their money. 

And its win win because I do find in it's current state that the markets don't offer enough entertainment to let people linger - literally just the movie screen for kids and the stage under the roof. Once the wave swinger is operating though, this is gonna kick the markets into gear. can't wait to see it run with a modern light package at night!

• Like 1

First up, nobody is spending money on a ride for the markets. This is a new ride for Dreamworld that will return a lot of kinetics to main street - something it has needed for a long time - and because of it's convenient placement, and family friendly appeal, it makes sense to offer it (as a first step) as part of the market offering at an additional charge.

When moonlight first started up, I thought the lack of rides offered was a missed opportunity, but i've heard Greg speak about some of the ideas, and it makes sense to me:

• The markets were an idea to get people simply coming back to Dreamworld.
  • They intially didn't offer any rides because they didn't want to 'give away the gate' so to speak and cheapen these multi-million dollar rides by offering them for $2 entry, or pay-to-play

Now, all things considered, Taipan is offlimits. At least for now. The only other rides within reach of the Market area would be The Claw (which is both high thrill, and restricted seat sizing), or Sky Voyager.

Now - I can see a world where Sky Voyager runs during the markets. Perhaps, if they can changeover the programming easily enough, they could run a sponsored program #advertising space that is only available during the market so you don't get what day-guests paying a higher price get, but I don't think Claw is the right sort of attraction offering for the  demographic of the Markets.

No, a Wave Swinger, right in the middle of the action, with an impressive light package for night ops and designed with night operation in mind - that is perfect. It caters to a broad range of guests, and is a simple fun family ride for all. It's a one-two punch, giving the park a good quality flat ride, great main street kinetics and an impressive weenie as you enter the park, as well as adding to the night market offering as Dreamworld slowly builds it into something bigger than they started with. I look forward to markets progressing to a point where the park legitimately operates at night - something we've all called for on the GC for ages, and this is just another step towards realising that.

• Like 4

Yep exactly it makes perfect sense and will really put some new energy into Main Street.     I was thinking for sky voyager they could theme it to like some crazy machine this dude built and to hide it he built a old looking facade on it. And you could really make it look like a cut-out facade plate that’s hiding the sky voyager and when you walk into it you can really tell it’s just a fake facade hiding the futuristic looking thing behind it. it’s kinda hard to explain but it would mean they could give it a classic look from the outside but make it still make sense with the theme of the ride.? Idk just another way to make it look better.

29 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

First up, nobody is spending money on a ride for the markets. This is a new ride for Dreamworld that will return a lot of kinetics to main street - something it has needed for a long time - and because of it's convenient placement, and family friendly appeal, it makes sense to offer it (as a first step) as part of the market offering at an additional charge.

When moonlight first started up, I thought the lack of rides offered was a missed opportunity, but i've heard Greg speak about some of the ideas, and it makes sense to me:

• The markets were an idea to get people simply coming back to Dreamworld.
  • They intially didn't offer any rides because they didn't want to 'give away the gate' so to speak and cheapen these multi-million dollar rides by offering them for $2 entry, or pay-to-play

Now, all things considered, Taipan is offlimits. At least for now. The only other rides within reach of the Market area would be The Claw (which is both high thrill, and restricted seat sizing), or Sky Voyager.

Now - I can see a world where Sky Voyager runs during the markets. Perhaps, if they can changeover the programming easily enough, they could run a sponsored program #advertising space that is only available during the market so you don't get what day-guests paying a higher price get, but I don't think Claw is the right sort of attraction offering for the  demographic of the Markets.

No, a Wave Swinger, right in the middle of the action, with an impressive light package for night ops and designed with night operation in mind - that is perfect. It caters to a broad range of guests, and is a simple fun family ride for all. It's a one-two punch, giving the park a good quality flat ride, great main street kinetics and an impressive weenie as you enter the park, as well as adding to the night market offering as Dreamworld slowly builds it into something bigger than they started with. I look forward to markets progressing to a point where the park legitimately operates at night - something we've all called for on the GC for ages, and this is just another step towards realising that.

What is wrong with Tailspin & Shockwave?

Claw is a no brainer. Charge a lazy $5 for it and make it free for passholders if you want and that takes care of the give away the gate thing. Plus open the ballpit if it's not already and you're pretty well sorted in terms of target market. As well as getting people used to going on stuff again, it also gives the place an extra energy/excitement. SV makes less sense to me for that reason. Just pulls people out of the atmosphere for not much.

33 minutes ago, New display name said:

What is wrong with Tailspin & Shockwave?

That I can't answer from the Park's point of view.

If I had to speculate, the current area stops at the vehicle entry gate, essentially in line with The Claw's fence. Back of the napkin math says the currently used area is around 8000sqm.

Adding in Tailspin and Shockwave (and you might as well add in the bathrooms that are between the two and the claw) would add a further 6500sqm of space which I can tell you from experience isn't set up for regular night events from a safety point of view.

The entire area would need to be set up for night lighting on a regular basis (not just temporary event set ups). It also takes you from 4 possible 'exit' points into the rest of the park, to 7, essentially doubling the task of your security team. You have a much bigger custodial task - you're cleaning virtually double the area, as well as toilets (and the addition of alcohol means you're inevitably going to end up with people overdoing it). Then people will argue that dodgems should be open. or gold coaster. or the splash pad in summer months. and the tigers. and koala cuddles. and where does it end?

And beyond all that, do you bring in more food trucks to fill the bigger area? will that piss off the current vendors who have their income divided amongst more vendors? Do you keep the ssame number of vendors and spread them out, making it harder for power distro, as well as the entry and exit procedures? Or do you not put food down that end, just keep it as rides, and completely change the energy from 'night market' to "a few dreamworld rides at night"

I'm ok with the current footprint.

2 minutes ago, joz said:

Claw is a no brainer. Charge a lazy $5 for it and make it free for passholders if you want and that takes care of the give away the gate thing. Plus open the ballpit if it's not already and you're pretty well sorted in terms of target market. As well as getting people used to going on stuff again, it also gives the place an extra energy/excitement. SV makes less sense to me for that reason. Just pulls people out of the atmosphere for not much.

You're right about SV - I only included it because it was adjacent the current footprint, suited *most* age groups, and could potentially be spun off in a sponsorship deal. I disagree on claw. alcohol = puke = smelly mess = nobody likes you. (90's teens will get it).

I can see a night market where claw operates, but only as the event grows. That's step 6, not step 2.

2 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I disagree on claw

You're welcome to continue being wrong about this 😊

I agree tailspin is too far away, and ST is just a no, but if it was a purely demo decision Escape Coaster and Shockwave checkout. I'm not convinced it is a demo thing though. Claw really makes more sense than anything else they have, because of the location, visibility and that it's a classic. Also perhaps I'm naive, but I can't picture vomit being that big of an issue even with the alcohol sales.

Being a regular at the markets, I think Claw would be a perfect option to operate. it just makes sense as it’s within the envelope, highly visible, creates atmosphere and movement within the precinct.

the wave swinger will be a massive success when it opens. 

hopefully in time the addition of those 2 rides may increase attendance to a level that’s sustainable for ST to open as well, even if it’s only one night of the week 

I think even switching up a couple of rides each market could work.  At the very least what would it really cost DW to try it and see if it takes off?  I would definitely not run ST at the markets because the big ticket rides you want to draw the people in during normal DW operation.

the map for this weekends event shows Tailspin and Showcase, so it is a possibility they could extended the footprint and allow these rides to also operate at the markets.

If they wanted to have some rides operating (Dreamworld Flyer + Claw, Shockwave and Tailspin) they could have it as a seperate entry option where you get a wristband to get you on the rides or they could have a pay per ride system. i think it would be a great idea and the kinetic energy would be great.

Edited by Rivals