Dreamworld's 2023 Ride Count - Comparing Now to the Past

themagician

In recent years there has been discussion about how Dreamworld's ride count significantly decreasing due to extensive attraction retirements. But with all the recent additions and refubishments, I thought I'd devise a full list of the parks rides to see how it has changed over the years.

For the purpose of the list, I am only noting rides that are categoriesed as 'rides' as per the parks website. I have also selected the 2023 (present), early 2016 and late 2006. Where an attraction has replaced another, they are shown in the same row. When a ride has been demolished, but the land remains empty, the corosponding column is left blank.

2023                                  2016                                  2006

Steel Taipan                      River Rapids                      River Rapids

-                                         -                                   Mine Ride

-                                   BuzzSaw                                  -                  

Giant Drop                        Giant Drop                          Giant Drop

The Claw                            The Claw                           The Claw

Gold Coaster                     Hot Wheels                         Cyclone

Serpent Slayer                 Pandamonium                Angry Beavers

Tail Spin                               Tail Spin                           Reef Diver

Motocoaster                    Motocoaster                               -

Sky Voyager                            -                                           -

Vintage Cars                   Vintage Cars                     Motocoaster

Dreamworld Express  Dreamworld Express      Dreamworld Express

Kenny's Forest Flyer     Escape Coaster              Runaway Reptar

Shockwave                      Shockwave                                -

Deep Sea Dodgems         Skadoosh                     Bumper Beach

Humpty-Go-Round       Gingy's Glider                              -

Belinda's Tree House      Jungle Jam                 Rainforest Rampage

Seabed Splash                      -                                           -

Tea Cup's                          Tea Cup's                            Tea Cup's

Big Red Boat                   Big Red Boat                      Big Red Boat

Play School Wheel                 -                                           - 

Banana's Carousel        Shrek's Caousel                Nick O-Round

Banana's Fun Maze                 -                                         -   

Big Red Planes             Dronkey's Flyers             Dora's Sea Planes

-                                 Wipeout                              Wipeout

-                             Tower of Terror                Tower of Terror

-                                 Log Ride                             Log Ride

-                               Big Red Car                       Big Red Car

-                                 Hop & Hoot                             -

-                                Sword Swing                 Swinger Zinger

-                                         -                                 Vortex

-                                         -                           Paddle Wheeler

-                                          -                            Blues Skidoo

So as of today, there are 22 rides. In 2016, there was 25 rides. And in 2006, there was 24 rides.

By the end of 2024, with the additon of Big Red Boat Coaster, Dreamworld Flyer and Jungle Rush (but the closure of Tea Cups and Boat Ride) there will be 23 rides.

(If the list doesn't display well on your phone, rotate it to landscape or view on a larger screen)

Edited by themagician

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Big Red Boat wasn't part of wiggles world until 2012 just as a FYI so in 2006 they would have actually had 23 rides :)

Damm, if any admins are able to edit the post that would be appreciated

7 hours ago, Gazza said:

Should IMAX be there in 2006?

I originally thought so too, but the parks website listed under shows, not rides. 

Edited by themagician

• Vintage Cars was there in 2006, no?
  • Before Gingy's, it was Spongebob Flypants, in roughly the position Seabed Splash is now, IIRC. Not sure which year it arrived though?

A well put together list - even if not entirely accurate. I think although the attraction count might not differ that much, the quality of each may be the difference. This is the same story for Movie World however - the loss of attractions like gremlins (although scooby is a fair replacement), studio tour, special effects show, maverick \ stunt show, LTRR, PASS... while the numbers don't make things look bad - the actual experience from then to now is vastly different, and arguably not for the better (at either park).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:
  • Vintage Cars was there in 2006, no?

*face palm* can't believe I missed that too.

13 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:
  • Before Gingy's, it was Spongebob Flypants, in roughly the position Seabed Splash is now, IIRC. Not sure which year it arrived though?

I do remember that, but it opened in 2008.

14 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I think although the attraction count might not differ that much, the quality of each may be the difference.

I did the list to compare attraction counts (for my own curisoty, but sadly I missed a couple things), but you are right. I think by the end of next year, there will hopefully be some of that quality back with the additon of Rivertown. But even so, there is still those empty areas of the park (Rocky Hollow, former Troll's Village). I'm sure we will see new attractions in these areas (hopefully by the end of the decade), but having those areas can give the impression that there is less at the park, when in reality, the numbers aren't far off what they were in the peak (early) 2016.

Great post - I think after 2024 it's time for DW to add a water ride. I think Dreamworld themselves said they have a few surprises in store in terms of attractions over the coming years. I don't take that as rides as such, but maybe things like a giant adventure playground (similar to how they have added a splash pad) would really expand the park out further too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I think although the attraction count might not differ that much

Further to this, when you also look at the park map from early 2016, the amount of rides and attractions listed makes it seem like there is so much to do. The map does also include wildlife, shows, non-ride attractions and character meet-n-greets too. But it helps sell that there is even more too do. 

Capture.JPG

52 minutes ago, Vidgamer said:

Great post - I think after 2024 it's time for DW to add a water ride. I think Dreamworld themselves said they have a few surprises in store in terms of attractions over the coming years. I don't take that as rides as such, but maybe things like a giant adventure playground (similar to how they have added a splash pad) would really expand the park out further too.

I think a water attraction would be a good addition, but they would need to be very selective about what this is. There is the argument that, well they close the water park for the winter, so why would they add a water ride that one when it too might be closed for that same period (WWF at MW is definitley a quieter ride during the winter, hence why its closed for 3 months for maintenance). However, if the ride is appealing enough and more than a water ride, they could have a version where you don't get as wet. Pirate of the Carribean at Disneyland had barriers for the final splashdown so you didn't get as wet during the winter.

I personally would love to see a type of coaster not found in Australia. Either a dive or flying coaster would be my number one picks. With the ride layouts they can be awesome and very popular coasters.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I personally would love to see a type of coaster not found in Australia. Either a dive or flying coaster would be my number one picks. With the ride layouts they can be awesome and very popular coasters.

If they got either, I would be buying my family passes in a heartbeat.

59 minutes ago, themagician said:

That opens the debate of what’s considered a major attraction. I assume it would be all thrill rides and high capacity family rides? Does Forrest Flyer and Shockwave count?

I’d argue Forest Flyer only counts ‘til Jungle Rush opens (at which point JR becomes their major family attraction & KFF becomes supplementary), and Shockwave doesn’t count. An argument could be made, however, for Sky Voyager.

Edited by Tricoart

To @Slickrequest, here is a list for what would (subjectively) be considered as major rides. For this I included every thrill ride, major family rides and rides that had significant queue wait times during that specific year (hence why I included the original Vintage Cars, Big Red Car Ride and Paddle Wheeler). If a ride was replacing another, but the former ride wasn’t ’major’ I didn’t include it (eg. Tailspin is included, Reef Diver isn’t)

2023                                  2016                                   2006

Steel Taipan                      River Rapids                  River Rapids

-                                         -                              Mine Ride

-                                   BuzzSaw                             -                  

Giant Drop                        Giant Drop                      Giant Drop

The Claw                            The Claw                       The Claw

Gold Coaster                     Hot Wheels                     Cyclone

Serpent Slayer                 Pandamonium                       -

Tail Spin                               Tail Spin                             -

Motocoaster                    Motocoaster                 Vintage Cars

Sky Voyager                            -                                     -

Kenny's Forest Flyer     Escape Coaster           Runaway Reptar

-                                 Wipeout                        Wipeout

-                             Tower of Terror            Tower of Terror

-                                 Log Ride                       Log Ride

-                               Big Red Car                  Big Red Car

-                                         -                        Paddle Wheeler

So based on this list, today there is 9 major rides, 2016 had 13 and 2006 had 12

15 hours ago, Naazon said:

Revenge of the Mummy at USS?

You can clearly see the roof in the mid-course stop with Imhotep, so according to Skeet, it doesn't count. 

Also can a rollercoaster be classified as a dark ride in its own right?

14 hours ago, New display name said:

Calico Mine Ride.  How many do you need to satisfy you @DaptoFunlandGuy?

Honestly - definitely more than one. One is an anomaly, two is a coincidence, three is a pattern. 

I think, in setting the bar at "you can see the showbuilding from inside the showbuilding" you've eliminated what many would consider top quality dark rides. Even PotC, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain  would get knocked out by such a restrictive rule.