Stunt Driver review

rival81

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car that enters the ramp area is the same car you see at the top and as the car enters the Dummy car makes its way out of the building allowing room for the real car to stay inside till all those have left the arena and all effects are fixed, refilled and ready to go again.
so hang on, is there 2 red cars + dummy? the way i read what you said red car A has been doing stunts in the arena, moves up ramp and parks in building just before "jump". dummy car makes "jump". red car B then exits back into the arena down the bottom. surely that couldnt be right or thats a waste of a car. if thats true however, wouldnt it be easier to just put the dummy car on a track from the top of the ramp, over the jump then into the building? cheers for the reply too, i was worried these forums were dead. oh and klassen24, whats your job at WVTP?

i thought that the red car that shoots out after doning all of the stunts would then make its way around to the building for the finale because the guy jumps out of it at the end of the show. So, i think that Red car A (which has been doing all of the stunts in the arena etc) goes out the exit and then makes its way around the back of the set to behind the finale bnuilding while Red car B (which is on the roof) has another driver who drives out into the building where Red car C (Dummy) performs the jump. After which, Red car A (who has been sitting behind the finale building/curtain) drives out, the character jumps out of the car and the show ends. At least, thats how i would do it. otherwise you have a driver change before the car comes out on the roof and the character ahs to enter another car behind the set. Thats what i think but i could be wrong...

reanimated... It isn't a waste of a car. You know the car that magically drifts backwards and the driver has excellent control of it? Well that's because the back is the front. Basically the engine sits in the bonnet as usually, driveshaft goes to the rear of a car, a special diff is fitted to let the REAR wheels turn and the drive sits backwards in the back seat and looks out the rear window.

reanimated... It isn't a waste of a car. You know the car that magically drifts backwards and the driver has excellent control of it? Well that's because the back is the front. Basically the engine sits in the bonnet as usually, driveshaft goes to the rear of a car, a special diff is fitted to let the REAR wheels turn and the drive sits backwards in the back seat and looks out the rear window.
What part of the show is that? I don't remember a backwards drifting part. i know theres parts of the show where there is reverse flick turns etc but everything ive seen in the show can be done in a standard, forwards facing car. I used to do the same thing at demo days for a company i used to work for and there was no backwards cars or anything...

What part of the show is that? I don't remember a backwards drifting part. i know theres parts of the show where there is reverse flick turns etc but everything ive seen in the show can be done in a standard, forwards facing car. I used to do the same thing at demo days for a company i used to work for and there was no backwards cars or anything...
yea i dont remember anything like that either? unless you mean the handbrake turns while in reverse? also, i just watched a 30sec clip on youtube from a ch9 Extra segment they did on the show while it was still being built and it showed the bike rider in a flamesuit rolling around?? also, every video on youtube shows a different set of stunts. how often do they change the routine? or is there like 5 set shows working on a roster? and how many cars are there actually in this production? 4 black 1 red 1 dummy red ??

I know that the lights motor action show in orlando, which HWSD is loosely based on has the motorbike rider rolling around and the backwards driving car, but i dont think that the MW version has. reanimated35, look up lights motor action on youtube and you'll see how there are similarities.

There is a backwards car, it wasn't in the show from the beggining becuase they were still practising with it. I havn't seen it, but from the sounds of things it is now in the show. Is there anything else in the show that's new, I'm just interested like script improvements and not the same stunts because if that's done then it will becoming even better.

A LOT of similarities... That would be a shame if they have gone to the trouble of building the backwards car and then not even show the audience... I see that as a big problem with this show, its is marketed as a look behind the scenes at how stunts are made in hollywood. But then the show quickly jumps to as if this is all happening for real, really never teaching anyone anything about how stunts (or movies for that matter) are made. I often think it a bit sad that a park that was opened on the basis of showing how movies were made and shows and entertainment now has none of the former and only a fraction of the later. Rides are great, but maybe the park should be re-named Ride World... Six Flags on the Gold Coast??

Ok to solve all your questions about the cars here goes. firstly yes there is now a dummy car that drives backwards the driver lays down in the back of the car and looks out of a mesh section in the back of the car. As for the jump section alright here goes. Marty is told to set the car Marty gets into the car that is parked ready to exit at the end of the explosion then one of the actual rally drivers drives out pretending to be Marty hence if you look closely in the car you can also tell its not Marty and the video of him in the car is pre shot and the same each time. the rally driver pretends to be the worst driver around and makes his way to the top also there are not as many ramps as the video you see makes out to be then when the video reaches the end tech booth gives the driver clearance to drive out into view hence all the radio tech in the helmets and the head set worn by Gavin Cohlmen who is driving co-ordinator on the team, so they can communicate with everyone. ( its amazing how many small crashes, car lock ups actually happen each day that no one ever see's or mentions on the forum i thought by now someone would have seen one) after the car is given the all clear he enters the building followed by the track car doing its part then Marty drives out using a total of 3 cars for the stunt that's incl the track car These are the cars used for the show: 4 Cop cars (only 3 used now due to changes in the show) 1 Track car 1 Dummy cop car (the brake in half one) 1 Dummy rally car (reverse drive) 3 Rally cars Also on site is a maintenance shed behind the set which is used for car services new tyres ect. The shed was not complete till about 4 weeks after the show opened due to that fact they were more concerned about the arena so during that time cars were taken off site for repairs. Also to answer your question i work in the Shows and Entertainment department.

Honestly Nathan, I've seen the show, and I noticed the dings, bumps, scrapes and quick patch up jobs that were on the cars, but coming from a motorsport family, i'm kinda used to it. I actually didn't think to mention it on here simply because a precision driving team ALWAYS makes a mistake or two.

...snip...
thanks for that info :) a few more questions sorry, 1.how often do they change tyres? 2.any ideas of an approx cost of each show? 3.has there ever been any problems with the bike? the first time i saw the show after driving to one end of the arena, something fell off the bike (a white panel or 4.something, i couldnt quite tell - this was about a month ago). 5.got any photos of the backwards car? 6.what do the drivers do between shows? (although i did see once a couple of them being interviewed by that asian radio thing) 7.what are the chances of getting some behind the scenes photos of the rear of the set? or is that for some reason off limits? (if it is, i cant really understand why?)

Hi guys, i saw Stunt Driver for the second time two weekends ago and was quite pleased with their progress. There was (i think) an extra joke or two, and the show seemed to flow a bit better than the first time i saw it. In the final stunt this time the bricks didn't go flying out like they did the first time... not sure why. Looking forward to a third viewing soon.

Talking about dints and such... these cars DON'T handle well. You could tell they were awkward to drift and control in certain maneuvers. When I went there the cars touched at least 4 times making one bumper actually fall off and one guy clip the right hand wall when drifting back stage.

1.how often do they change tyres?
I wouldn't imagine too much. The tires used are more slick than usual the prevent gripping. When my mate got into drifting he used to go through 4 tires in a day when he used to drift. So on average he would do about 5 races a day which involves roughly 15 laps, sometimes more sometimes less. But I could be wrong :) I would like to know that myself. Edited by mickey_079

Questions 1) DJ answered for you. 2) I'm unsure of the cost of each show i haven't seen or heard of it as of yet it cost is more based monthly, That I'm not aloud to say. 3) There has been some issues none that are major but there has been some instances were parts of the bike have come of as a result of wear and tear. 4) you don't have a forth question 5) No i don't have any photos of the backwards car, it looks exactly the same as all the rest and i could just put a pic of one of the normal cars if i wanted to and you would be fooled. 6) Drivers before there first show go through Practice runs and then each driver is allowed a free lance drive for 10 mins were they can do what ever then between shows they rest in the staff room have a wrap meeting which is about there just done show feedback and what not, They also make in park appearances plus the star parade, and yeah basically like Shows and entertainment stuff we just sit around in the green room chat, muck around, clean costumes, and do some more lazing around. 7) WVTP does not encourage backstage photography of any sort. One section which is part of a employees contract. This rule can be modified when permission is granted but these photos are for personal use and are not to be shown to any members of the public. Plus chances are you are going to get caught if you try backstage monitors, members of staff and higher management are bound to catch you in the act. So im sorry but i doubt you will find any in the near future.

The cars have also been modified heavily. Roll cages, hydraulic handbrakes for instant locking up of the back wheels, and a major one, was removing the drive to the front wheels in order to make the cars able to drift. As well as aesthetic changes of course, like the lights etc. Also, last time i was there the actual asphalt that had been laid looks like a shinier, smoother version than that on the road. Couple that with that semi slick tyres used and you've got almost the perfect arena for medium speed drifiting that can also be driven normally with proper tyres.

^ In saying that, I have a reasonably high expectation for when I do see it. I'm sure it's something that will get much better over time. It's unfortunate it hasn't started off with a better response but I'm keeping an open and positive mind. And I haven't seen the Disney show so that hasn't set the bar for me yet :) Not going to watch the Youtube video either as I want to enjoy it for the first time in-the-flesh in Orlando come August. Anyway, consider that too - most of the GP won't have been to WDW/DLP either - though comparison to PASS is something I'm sure the majority of showgoers will make.

Edited by Gold Coaster