Bring A Universal Studios To Australia!

daltma10

I don't think we are ever going to a see a Disney or Universal park built here in Australia in our lifetimes. But please, Disney, Universal, prove me wrong! First of all the biggest, most obvious reason and the one everyone says, POPULATION. We just don't have enough people here to support one. The argument that they would have to build something "unique" I also disagree with because 1. simply the parks won't and 2. I doubt it would attract people anyway. Think, when Disney build something, or even Universal for that matter; do they do the job half-assed? No, they go all out spending millions. When these parks go and build "unique" attractions most of the money is spent on the R&D. I think we can all agree if they ever came here they aren't going to build a park the size of Disneyland, its going to be small. So why would these companies go and spend millions on R&D for only a small park, that the majority of the world won't even experience? Answer: they won't. Not only that if they did build a "unique" attraction they would most certainly build a clone of it in another one of the parks. You can see they do it all throughout the world, due to the high R&D cost, you find they almost always put one in another park, no doubt this makes re-couping their money spent on the attraction come back faster, rather than spending all their budget on the R&D for another ride at the park that builds the clone. So if their major parks do it, what makes you think an Australian investment would be any different. If they built something "unique" here chances are it would end up in another one of their parks around the globe. No longer making it "unique" and no longer a reason for people to visit their park here. Besides, why wouldn't you build said attraction in other part of the world, after all not everyone can afford to travel to some other parks; as some people have been pointing out why we need one. -_- What makes something "unique" though, how is it defined. I mean I would find that Green Lantern is currently unique, so is Arkham and SE for its preshow or Scooby? I think WWF would be up there with some of the worlds best. What about Jet Rescue as a Jet-ski coaster or MDMC as Intamins first motorbike coaster? GD and ToT both at time have held world records making them "unique", I haven't seen too many people around the world visit DW just so they can ride the worlds tallest freefall. My guess is when you say "unique" you mean expensive, look at WWF Australia's most expensive ride, Disney would have still done more to that, like hiding the final lift hill, and making the mountain go the whole way around. Also, look at SE that wasn't cheap and look at 1. how short it is 2. they didn't have to build the show building and 3. left the outside pretty plain, something Disney would not. All these rides would have sot so much more if it was done to the level of Disney and would have cost more. I just don't see them doing it to a whole park in Australia. If you've got any suggestions for any "unique" attractions that would be in a smaller budget, please let me know, (that's not sarcasm) I would actually love to hear your ideas! Secondly, the world is currently in economic hardship, I don't see the parks wanting to, apart from their current commitments, wanting to be investing as something as large as opening a new park. Also the Australian dollar is high, so even if we offered something "unique", why would tourists come here when they could just go to their closer Universal or Disney which would be much cheaper. Whereas, we can go overseas to other Disney and Universal parks cheaper. Also, another reason why at the moment you won't see them is they are too focused on Asia. Look at all your major theme parks players, Disney, Universal, Merlin, hell even Village Roadshow are all interested in the Asian market at the moment. I mean what company wouldn't when you look at their population. I think after Asia the companies are going to move onto to another highly populated area before Australia. Which leads to another reason, flights are now incredibly cheap to Asia and my guess the parks assumptions are well if Aussies want to visit a Universal or Disney they don't have to travel very far now, plus it doesn't cost as much as our LA parks. While our international tourism is mainly from as someone said Japan and China they now have their own parks. Why come here for another Universal and Disney when they already have one, we can just go there. TBH, theres will more than likely be way better than what we would get anyway. Also I remember reading somewhere that Aussies were the highest percentage of visitors to LA. My feeling is the parks feel that at the moment they have Australia covered for the time being, in the future it may change, but I don't see it changing for a long time. I've got other reasons but I think those are enough to see, and it should be pretty obvious Disney and Universal aren't coming here anytime soon anyway. Once again I'll be happy for the two to prove me wrong on this. But I wouldn't imagine we would see anything more than a small copycat, as long as it has Transformers though. :D Which btw is now in soft opening in LA. I wouldn't expect anything from Paramount as they got out of the theme park business and are now looking at just getting back in with a park in Spain, so their focus is one that. I mean a large entertainment company invested here called Warner Bros. they didn't exactly build a massive park did they? My feeling is the same as Gazza's, your best bet is a franchise from Merlin, or Village Roadshow. Village are opening a water park in Sydney, so this could be a sign of things to come. Maybe even a partnership between Village and Merlin? I've always thought the two companies were very similar; both have water parks, marine theme parks (coincidently both called SW), both have hotels, at one stage merlin was a part owner in a movie park (Universal Orlando) attractions like Madam Tussaud's and Outback Spectacular/Paradise country, Merlin bought attractions off Village (which Village still promote on their website) and Village proposed a park very similar to Busch Gardens Africa in Victoria. The only other thing that you MAY get from Disney is something similar to what they just opened in Hawaii, that is something they could open in Australia, that we have a population that could support I would imagine. I think they even said they would look at putting similar resorts around the world?? So who knows, it could go in the Gold Coast, or maybe in North Queensland, they have the weather for it, maybe even find an island and create a new Hamilton Island for kids and parents, Disney style. In terms of Disney and Universal coming here, I think its the closest you'll get. In terms of a new park in Australia in our lifetime, look towards Merlin and Village. I know its long, but I feel I needed to say it.

Edited by Original

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdrianHallam

Given the boom to the cruising industry in Australia I don't feel it is out of the realm of possibility that we may get a Disney Cruiseship at some stage in the next 5-7 years. Surely they can't let Royal carribean and Carnival corner the market.

I'm interested to know what theming would be involved if Universal did hit our shores. I think if it ever was to happen, creating rides from scratch would be out of the budget, so copies would be used. Having a look at the current offerings at Universal parks, there are only a few that could really make an impact here. The Simpsons Ride Revenge of the Mummy King Kong 3-D Transformers Men in Black and then a couple of other rollercoasters thrown in for good measure. Those who want a Universal Studios, what is the reasoning? The rides? Atmosphere? Theming? What could Universal bring to Australia that would be unique and a drawcard? Does the general public really care about massivley themed rides and lands? I think while Waterworld is a great stunt show, it wouldn't be a drawcard to get guests through the front gate.

I doubt they will include Waterworld in any more of their parks as they are planning on removing it at USH anyway (actual fact not rumour). You can add to your list Harry Potter, so they can get an audience on both sides of the world. As well as Jurassic Park. Well the reasons for wanting Universal is the Atmosphere that they create in there parks. For example they have characters just walking around the streets, unlike Disney who only does meet n greets. Their theming is about the same as Disney and some times better then Disney (sometimes they can be a lot worse but most of the time they are the same or above). They seem to be able to build attraction a lot cheaper then Disney. Their rides are a lot of the time a lot better then those at Disney, with a lot of the highest rated rides being from Universal Parks and lastly they provide a great balance between Thrills and Theming. I am willing to be that if one of the two giants (mostly Universal) they will change the way most people view theme parks. Currently our parks are a long way behind the US park or even China and the UK, well almost anywhere). The IOA style Universal parks keep all crowds happy, with something for kids but older people can still go on and enjoy and rides for the older people who enjoy high thrills. Also about the Disney Cruise line sailing in Australia. It appears that Disney were planing on sending on of their older ships either the Disney Magic or Disney Fantasy out here as they were looking to build a wharf at White Bay in Sydney, where the government is currently constructing a new cruise ship terminal. Negotiations were confirmed by the Government and Disney, so no idea if Disney has anything to do with the current building working there or the government just got the idea from Disney. In short we almost got a Disney Cruise Line ship.

There is certainly room for more major theme parks in this country. I think however our best bet, apart from Warner Bros who are already here, is to try and reignite Paramount's interest in Melbourne, or even see if the more sustainable Six Flags concept would work in some cities in Australia. I think a Six Flags style park would work if done properly.

I think there is more chance for a park in Sydney then Melbourne due to bigger population and higher tourism numbers, I could see Paramount being very similar to Universal due to being very similar in terms of movies as well as age. Six flags would be alright but would only made an impact if they built a B&M or a large coaster as the Goldcoast has some fairly good coasters. Also they better have better management then at Magic Mountain, who let their ride and building become run down, and as seen in the latest West Coast bash by TPR, the management don't care about guests, only money. Cedar Fair would be better then Six Flags, but they wouldn't make as big of an impact as Universal, Disney or even Paramount. Edited by Cruiseshipfan

Source?

ok. I can't find exactly where the actual release notes, but here is a website that summarised what was in it. LINK It states that Waterworld is to be replaced by a new attraction and the gibson amphitheatre is to be replaced by a new attraction or smaller venue. This page was mostly copied from the old Website for the project when gave away more information about changes to the park. Its part of the NBC Universal Evolution project. LINK The current website is very light on information it gives about the theme park.

Also the amount of Airports does mean a thing, its the size that matters just look at LAX.

Yep and as Djrappa pointed out Mascot is just about to reach capacity and if you have ever read the newspapers here I think getting a second one here is just about as slim as getting an international park here. Everyone is passing the buck about building one and where it should be built, the premiere here has flat out said NO. Not great for attracting international parks if your airport is at capacity for a growing city and has no plans for a second one is it?

Melbourne is most likely to have a domestic theme park and sydney an international.

You maybe be right but I think Village opening WnW in Sydney is testing the waters for a full on park down the track. In terms of an international brand coming here, as I said before 'not in our lifetime' for the reasons I've stated before. ATM Paramount are busy with their Spain park, SF and CF have too much debt and only appear to be intersted in the American market. For Disney and Universal, currently our population is too small and they have parks in Asia close to us and with a high Aussie dollar its cheap to get there. Australians are also the highest percentage of visitors to LA; hence why Disney are now advertising here for the re-fresh of the Disneyland Resort. Disney are also too busy with China, as are many theme park including Village. Over there the government is willing to spend money and go into partnerships with these parks to get them built, not so much here. As I stated, if you're wanting for a new park somewhere in the near future you should be looking at Village and Merlin, who are here now, to build us something. I wouldn't knock Merlin either, from what I've seen they appear to build pretty good parks. If you want something from Disney or Universal look towards the Aluani Resort in Hawaii from Disney or a Disney Cruise Ship. For that we have unique offerings they could market to the world like our Australian culture, Aboriginal heritage and the Great Barrier Reef. Disney love telling stories and they could do wonders with a resort and our heritage like they did with Aluani and a Cruise ship for the biggest reef in the world... why wound't they?? Fully fledged Disney or Universal park being built here? You can forget it, not for a long time and my guess they only build one when and if the governments put some serious cash up and go into partnerships with them to build it. Edited by Original

I still think they would be interested if the Vic State government got off it's ass and approached them with a simular deal to the rather good 1999 Paramount Studios proposal(the closest we've ever been to having another major Movie or even Theme Park since Movie World opened). They still have the design plans somewhere no doubt. It only didn't go ahead because of the dang election loss. If Kennett had of won, construction would have begun in his next term.

Maybe they are interested, but probably not until they have finished their other park first and look at its results as well before they go rushing out looking for a second location. I don't remember the deal but when Paramount and the government split was a good parting or was there bad blood. Because, if there was they may not be so interested in coming back to a place where they left pretty unhappy the first time. Australia is only small, so do we really want another movie park?? I mean wouldn't it be nicer to add some diversity to our small range and go for a new theme park with a different theme?

I wouldn't be surprised if we do get international theme park here in the near future with Legoland. They are opening up in Malaysia soon, but I would think it may be possible for Merlin to invest in one over here, especially if they make it a joint venture with VRTP. In my opinion the lego that was in the Sydney attractions were possibly as a trial to gauge popularity just as the Arkham Asylum maze was at last years fright night.