Adventure World New Coaster - Abyss

colliric_855

Yes, but we all survived last time.

Either way the tosser will be back. He will not be able to help himself!!

Interesting to see how this turns out. There seems to be a lot of the same statue, but I'm sure it will all work into place in the end.

I just hope the parks on the coast get reminded by this about what theming can actually do for a ride.

I think the finished theming effect should be pretty good, judging from what we have seen already. Already the theming for this ride has surpassed Green Lantern's flimsy attempt. I understand that theming a coaster is not the easiest job to do, but I feel that Adventure World are doing an admirable job, given the budget they have to work with. As Renanimated says, hopefully the big boys will sit up and take notice on this effort.

Edited by Jobe

This looks the be an example the opposite of what has been seen on the Gold Coast recently. Good ride with minimal theming (Lantern) or a average at best ride with really good theming (Sorebuzz). They look to be doing both theming and ride good with this coaster so as mentioned by Jobe lets hope the eastern parks take notice.

Heading into the last month before the attraction opens and AW is going all out with its advertising stunts. Guardians have been appearing around Perth and there's a video screening at Carillon City Arcade in the CBD. Even some Fremantle Hotels are doing package deals.

https://www.facebook.com/AdventureWorldOfficialPage

http://www.rydges.com/accommodation/perth/esplanade-hotel-fremantle-by-rydges/offers/adventure-world-family-package/

post-2597-0-68523900-1381055061_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-73416500-1381055126_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-15786900-1381055139_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-83581000-1381055153_thumb.jp

Heading into the last month before the attraction opens and AW is going all out with its advertising stunts. Guardians have been appearing around Perth and there's a video screening at Carillon City Arcade in the CBD. Even some Fremantle Hotels are doing package deals. https://www.facebook.com/AdventureWorldOfficialPage http://www.rydges.com/accommodation/perth/esplanade-hotel-fremantle-by-rydges/offers/adventure-world-family-package/

That is how you do it movieworld/dreamworld/seaworld take note

More advertising madness - the chocolates sound interesting. Rumours are that the ride is testing, but I haven't seen it in action yet. There are still a lot of contractors down there finishing off things like the all important 'pool fencing'.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65854&sid=0eb3a0edaedebb215ead36b82e58ddb3&start=60

post-2597-0-48191300-1381310849_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-95874500-1381310907_thumb.jp

I have to say that the lengths they are going to with marketing and PR stunts is impressive and looks to be effective at least to me over here on the other side of the country (and thank you iwerks for keeping track of them for us), but is it reaching the general public? Is there a buzz about the coaster (like we are seeing with WNWS) or is it going unnoticed by all but us fans? Reason for edit: manual correct of auto correct.

Edited by strop

Thanks Strop

Good point about the PR stunts. I think they are yet to step up the TV advertising campaign - last summer's one playing on Adventure World's 30th anniversary worked quite well. There's also been a bit in print with the school holiday program booklet things. I've been telling people since March, so all my friends know, but I still think that there's a large percentage of their target market that's in the dark. I have a friend who is a teacher and none of her students had heard about it. I also know that it's way too intimidating for most of the population. Those who like coasters and thrill rides will give it a try, but the rest are going to wait for something more family friendly. On the whole I've been pretty impressed by the way Adventure World has matured in the last few years. The gardens are looking pretty green and there's lots of shade for families. The food has improved out of sight and getting 20% off for being a season pass holder is very handy. The season passes themselves are very slick and a vast improvement on the 'library cards' that they had in the 1990s. They have introduced a $20 'fast pass' system that works for six of their rides, which could be useful considering that many of their other attractions are slow loading, low capacity rides. I think they're giving it a good shot; I just hope there's more to come.

Someone has posted the test footage - looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-791ylro2xc#

Looks fantastic. Really smooth. Still disappointed about the giant shed. Couldn't they have at least created some themed portals at the track entry and exit points? I hope the interior scenes are themed to a haunted warehouse... 'cause that's the only theme that'd fit

To be fair, they've been pretty flat out putting this thing together. We've seen them handling 'themed rock castle wall' facade... I haven't seen it outside anywhere as yet - we don't know whats inside the shed, but we're still a little while away from opening - plenty of time for additional things to be set up around the shed.

Some higher definition footage of testing on the TPR thread.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65854&sid=9e6cbbaef8ee477ae9748b534ac63655&start=70

They also noted the mysterious swaying guardians!

Re: Eurofighter for Adventure World, Perth

icon_post_target.pngby deano » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:03 am

After almost a week of visiting Adventure World in the hope of seeing it testing, I managed to time it right today. Watching it do test runs, the main things that stood out for me were... 1. It's so quiet, it's almost silent. I've ridden new coasters before (no Eurofighters yet) and have never heard such little noise from a ride. 2. Airtime hill looks more intense in person, wow! 3. I could barely hear or see the MCBR engage, let's hope they leave it like this when it opens. Another minor thing I noticed is that the hooded figures look to be installed in a way they ever so slightly rock and sway in the wind, don't know if it's just because the theming and landscaping isn't finished yet but it kinda looks even more creepy with them moving about. The end of the month cannot come quick enough.

Report from today's West. It says the first part of the ride will be in complete darkness.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/19395857/edge-of-abyss-for-thrill-of-a-ride/

111013gencoaster_2_195oq7a-195oq7e.jpg?x=292&sig=EfoHcaY_0cEqDbIyuoQe_Q--

German service technician Martin Daxle makes the final checks on Adventureworld's new roller coaster. Picture: Mogens Johansen/The West Australian

A ride on the Abyss will challenge the bravest of thrillseekers.

Adventure World gave the roller-coaster a test run this week ahead of its official opening on November 1.

The cart was surrounded by darkness as it began to wind up and down and around corners.

Riders spent much of the journey upside down, with countless twists and turns around the track.

Anticipation built on the 30m climb to the roller-coaster's peak as the vertical incline left riders feeling as though they would fall out of their seats.

The inverted track on the drop that followed set the exhilarating pace for the rest of the ride, which sent the coaster on a series of bends and loops.

For Gerstlauer service technician Martin Daxle, the experience made all his hard work worth it. "I have worked on roller-coasters for the past 26 years and I love my job," he said.

Mr Daxle and his team have worked on the Abyss seven days a week for seven weeks.

Adventure World chief executive Mark Shaw was one of the first to ride the Abyss.

He felt scared but not of the ride itself. "My only fear was whether it was going to live up to expectations, and it did," he said.

Mr Shaw said once the finishing touches were completed, the track would be encased in complete blackness for the first part of the ride, adding to the thrill.

Haha!

Today Tonight viewers will be disappointed that the drop is "Only 30 metres" compared to the 100m they were promised. :)

Me thinks someone got metric and imperial mucked up and it was meant to be quoted as 100ft.

Complete darkness? Does that mean there are no show scenes or effects inside the shed?

I've a feeling there will be, my only thought is maybe they haven't finished and decided to keep the media - literally - in the dark?

The first section being in blackness doesn't totally surprise me as this is what they have been saying all along, plus Adventure World doesn't really do animatronics. I hope they do have a soundtrack, something akin to the Saw Ride would be nice. I also hope that you are totally in the dark and not just looking at the inside of a big tin shed. Air conditioning would also be an advantage.

Mi guess is that in terms of theming they might just put a few of those "solid concrete statues" along the dark section and have a small source of light on each one to give the impression they are swarming around you.

However Would be a bit of a dissapointment if they spent all that money on a huge show building just to make it pitch black inside IMHO...That'd be a case where the money would be better spent on making the ride longer.

Woah, just thinking, but Australia really does have a disproportionate number of semi enclosed coasters, don't we?

Edited by Gazza

Adventure World has just announced the competition winners on their facebook page:

Well there you go! After weeks of battling to the finish line the two teams that will be immortalised as The Chosen Ones to be the first (to) ride Abyss at our VIP Media Launch event are EPW and The Dolls. Thank you to all of our teams, we look forward to seeing you at Adventure World to ride Abyss.

Apparently you can enter the park from 2pm onwards for Fright Nights with fireworks at 10pm. They also mentioned that Abyss can carry 600 pph - I hope they have got a big enough queue area.

Mi guess is that in terms of theming they might just put a few of those "solid concrete statues" along the dark section and have a small source of light on each one to give the impression they are swarming around you.

They did something similar to this when they used their castle for a haunted house attraction in the early nineties. It was an imitation of the singing heads from Disney's Haunted Mansion.

The Abyss just made the TPR home page - crazy!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/