Adventure World New Coaster - Abyss

colliric_855

Slick

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Did I win the internet?

Apparently. The Adventure World Facebook page is raging about the Our Worlds site.

https://www.facebook.com/AdventureWorldOfficialPage

This article was from the last Sunday Times. I presume the 77% increase is from before Kahuna Falls and the Dragon Kingdom expansion.

post-2597-0-47126100-1395229575_thumb.jp

Edited by iwerks

Went back to Adventure World yesterday. It was a great day, 31 degrees, fine and sunny. The park was busy, but not too crowded. Here's what I learnt:

• They're still opening the car park gate for those who pre-pay and have season passes. It was open around 15 minutes before the main gate, allowing you to get a locker and to get to the front of whatever queue you wanted.
  • Abyss was a walk on for the back row for the first half hour (with a 15 minute wait for the rest of the day). There's an extra screen at the bottom of the queue line and a lot of water in the misting fans at the top. The TV screens seem to be playing the TV advertisement for the ride. The track look a little greyer than it did before and there's still no sign of the mist/smoke effects that the ride opened with. The ride ops are still doing a great job.
  • The on-ride photos are $15.90 for the first one, but only a couple of dollars more if you want it emailed to you or put on your Facebook page. You need to leave the ride and head to the Sub Zero store pretty quickly after exiting the ride to see your picture on one of the two large displays.
  • Great service at the shops and cafes. They certainly know how to take care of the season pass holders. Two of the three times I bought things, they spotted my season pass band and gave me the 20% off. 20% off is not bad when you're looking at theme park prices.
  • Most attractions didn't have a wait longer than 20 minutes. Went on the go-karts for the first time in ages. Their height limit is quite high if kids want to drive due to the fact that you need fairly long legs to reach the pedals. The ride ops were once again on top of their game, dishing out helmets and instructing the riders on what to do. The karts are clean, but sooo slow. The new track was very smooth. Needless to say I saw plenty of people stalling, crashing and parking badly (Perth drivers!).
  • The Freefall looks like it might be out of action for quite some time. The entire top part had been taken off and lowered to the ground. I hope they get it back in operation before the next school holidays, but I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Adventure World hires a lot of backpackers and migrant workers. There were a couple of great ones operating the chair lift yesterday. I also saw that the chairlift ops have to do litter duty as well - that must suck.
  • The Castle has been cleaned up a little, but is still standing in in its burnt out state. The paddle boats have opened up again, albeit in a limited part of the lake.
  • The Wildlife Experience was an 'experience'. I always wondered why they have that high pool fencing around the animals, especially when you can buy kangaroo food to feed the roos. After witnessing what would be best called a 'Coat of Arms' fight, I see why. I must say I was impressed with the Alpacas or 'Allamas' or whatever they are - not only are they cool animals, but they also tried to stop the fight.

Just on a side note: Lots of planes were flying overhead yesterday, most of them from the nearby Jandakot Airport. I also noticed a large government, T-tailed, four-engined jet fly overhead at one stage. Turns out it was probably one of the Chinese Il-76s that landed at Perth Airport yesterday. Good luck to all those searching for MH 370 in the Indian Ocean.

does anyone know what happened with the Freefall?

It is in an odd spot and just looks like one of the rides fron the Royal Show sitting on the back of a trailer...

Abyss is amazing though.

Would be good to have another dry ride (I Voted) as only so many water slides you can have. Just seems the waterslides are all spreadout. Water Mountain is good and all but then over the other side is The Shotgun which just seems out of place like its been plonked there.

jddc7

Posted Today, 04:23 PM

does anyone know what happened with the Freefall?

It is in an odd spot and just looks like one of the rides fron the Royal Show sitting on the back of a trailer...

I think with Adventure World you've got to think about how much flat space they have there. They put the Freefall up there when they removed Turbo Mountain. It would be great if they worked on its theming after the success of Abyss.

The shotgun as well as the Aqua 6 Racer things got put in the place where the little monorail and luge used to be. I think the space behind the Shotgun would be great for a Superbowl or a log ride.

I overheard that Freefall was out of commission at one of the shops. When I looked over at the tower you could see that the entire top section had been removed to get access to the rope drive system. Maybe those in the know, technical-wise, could tell us what this means.

alex_1

Posted Today, 05:12 PM

The new pics of Abyss up on RCDB look fantastic! Eurofighters are damn photogenic.

http://rcdb.com/7444.htm?p=0

It's a great looking coaster. They've even put in some more scary-looking trees since these pics. It's an awesome ride, better than your traditional wild mouse or stock standard looping coaster.

jddc7

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

according to their FB page Freefall is now back up and running after maintenance

Thanks. That's good - now they can fix the chair lift. Twenty people were stuck for up to three hours this afternoon.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/visitors-trapped-on-adventure-world-sky-lift-20140330-35rk5.html

Yeah, the $12 million figure is being quoted everywhere. Did they have to pull it down from El Caballo Blanco (one hour east of Perth) themselves? Also means that the skylift would be the most expensive thing the park ever bought because we are presumably talking about 1990s' dollars.

Here's the latest on the fallout from Sunday.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/adventure-world-at-odds-with-parents-over-stranded-children-20140331-35twd.html

It seems some parents are up in arms. Despite the fact that the park is doing its best, they want more.

There are a lot of disclaimers at the main gate that usually covers the park for any incidents or accidents. From what I can remember the car park entrance doesn't cover all of that detail.

The Wikipedia page for Adventure World now names the owner as Steve Sicerich and states that the season runs from September until June.

Brad2912

Posted Today, 07:54 PM

Disclaimers, whether in a theme park, cinema or anywhere do not cover the business for failure of their duty of care. The legal process determines if that is breached regardless of any sign, or even a signed waiver

Bit like the ones they make you sign before the tiger walk at Dreamworld?

I hope they get everything sorted out before it comes to that.

Goodluck Mr Sicerich, wherever you are..

More local coverage with dodgy mobile phone video to match. Apparently part of the cable came off and the ride shut itself down. They threw up lollies and water to the kids stuck on the ride. It would have been interesting to see them try and rescue people from above the pool.

The local ABC News also mentioned that the Abyss and Freefall have suffered break downs from time to time. I've also seen kids stuck in the Power Surge harnesses and the brakes fail on Bounty's Revenge (back in the 90s) - the momentum goes on for ever.

http://www.bunburymail.com.au/story/2186637/video-bunbury-and-harvey-boys-rescued-from-broken-adventure-world-chair-lift/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-30/stranded-chairlift-passengers-rescued-at-perth-amusement-park/5354962?&section=news

The time taken to get people off the ride is hardly the park's fault. Sure - where there are escape stairs etc (like say - a coaster) its understandable that the ride could be evacuated by the ride operators in short order.

However where each ride carriage is suspended over a void, and requires EWP access like a scissor, boom, basket, cherry picker or telescoping ladder, then the park is at the mercy of rescue personnel operating that machinery - and have their own protocols to ensure each action they take is done safely.

As a member of the state emergency service, the protocols just to put a ladder against a house is quite onerous. Nobody was in imminent danger, everyone was safe, and secured appropriately - so doing a rescue safely, yet slowly is hardly something to cry about.

And a free ticket valid in the next 12 months as well as various free products is quite generous. Greedy buggers just want to try and rip the park for all they can...