Maintenance Schedule

WCE87

Given the discussion surrounding the many MANY cost cutting measures for Dreamworld - it's not outside the realm of possibility - you've got a guy on site to release harnesses that are locked in, anything worse than that - shut it down and let the night crew handle it... sort of thing.

Anyhow - back on topic... wait - what was the topic again?

Just found out why Dreamworld is taking five months to replace Wipeout, turns out, due to their recent interest in eco-friendliness and efficiency, they're going to replace the original Wipeout (which is known as a Waikiki Wave Super Flip, made by Vekoma, one of the largest top spin designs ever built, and the largest with an articulating arm) with one of these bad boys:

http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1524

The good news is, when this dies, it won't sit in the park SBNO for a few years, instead they'll just pack it up on the truck and haul it out.

Edited by Slick

See, you're taking our confidence in you as a reliable source, and posting stuff that could be taken either way.

I find it extremely unlikely that they'd be doing this - but now I don't know what to think...

That's exactly the point though. Dreamworld have reduced themselves to a point where an idea this bad actually has some plausibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard a lot of rumours from several people and apparently the Wipeout will keep the same structure, however the ride will recieve new motors, new hydraulics, new seats, new paint job, new harnesses, new ride programs and the water is coming back. About time the ride gets some love as it was looking pretty bad, good too see Dreamworld spending some good money on Wipeout to make it good again like the old days :) Can't wait too see the final product.

Honestly if they were going to go to those extremes they would be better off buying a brand new ride, which would likely last much longer. I am sure if Dreamworld really wanted to, they could get Vekoma to build a brand new model of the ride. Would be interesting to ride the Wipeout with the same OTSR's that the new Vekoma coasters have, but really the restraint system they have already is a very efficient design that would save considerable loading time for example if they had to have seat belts installed if they got new seats. I can see them maybe replacing the Hydraulics and Motors on the ride, and i'd be very disappointed if they didn't give the ride a new paint job and a refresh of the surrounding area. But I honestly think that replacing the whole gondola with new seats MIGHT be a little bit too ambitious for them to undertake. I mean hell, it might happen but I have my doubts on it. As far as the ride program, honestly the cycle that the ride runs 90% of the time is not that bad as it is, maybe a few more flips here and there but yeah.

• Like 1

Honestly if they were going to go to those extremes they would be better off buying a brand new ride, which would likely last much longer. I am sure if Dreamworld really wanted to, they could get Vekoma to build a brand new model of the ride. Would be interesting to ride the Wipeout with the same OTSR's that the new Vekoma coasters have, but really the restraint system they have already is a very efficient design that would save considerable loading time for example if they had to have seat belts installed if they got new seats. I can see them maybe replacing the Hydraulics and Motors on the ride, and i'd be very disappointed if they didn't give the ride a new paint job and a refresh of the surrounding area. But I honestly think that replacing the whole gondola with new seats MIGHT be a little bit too ambitious for them to undertake. I mean hell, it might happen but I have my doubts on it. As far as the ride program, honestly the cycle that the ride runs 90% of the time is not that bad as it is, maybe a few more flips here and there but yeah.

We'll just have to wait and see :) Either way, I think this refurbishment and rebuild is going to be good either way.

Swerve of topic, still maintenance though. Interesting to see that anytime MW post on fb that they take a backlash from people.

Latest question was "What's your favourite part of the Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Castle?"

Quite a few comments on how poor it has become and the lack of lasers/smoke/music/etc. How much more of that are they going to take until they think, yeah, maybe we should start dealing with some of this stuff...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...