Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the original render that Mark posted this morning.  I blacked out the scribbled out parts. 

Yeah, when you look at the POVs of other Tornado 60s they're usually a really short ride.  The colour scheme seems to really match Perth colours.  The tentacle at the bottom of the ride looks cool.  I like the way they have managed to keep that iconic limestone outcrop too.

new slide.jpg

It's good to see that Screamscape and Ausparks have picked this up.  Needless to say there was nothing in the West this morning.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/small_international_parks.htm#AdventureWorld

http://www.ausparks.com.au/2015/07/proslide-tornado-headed-to-adventure-world-in-perth/

Here's some extra info re upgrading to platinum.  I'm interested as to what amounts to a misuse of the Platinum Pass.

A Season Pass is not transferable and not refundable. A Season Pass is not upgradable to Platinum Season Pass (unless the Season Pass was purchased before the launch of the Platinum Season Pass release scheduled for August 2015, in which case the membership will need to be cancelled, a full refund given and then re-sign up and pay for the Platinum pass. Platinum season passes are subject to availability as a limited sale on a first come basis.). Any misuse of the pass will result in its immediate termination.

Here's some extra info re upgrading to platinum.  I'm interested as to what amounts to a misuse of the Platinum Pass.

A Season Pass is not transferable and not refundable. A Season Pass is not upgradable to Platinum Season Pass (unless the Season Pass was purchased before the launch of the Platinum Season Pass release scheduled for August 2015, in which case the membership will need to be cancelled, a full refund given and then re-sign up and pay for the Platinum pass. Platinum season passes are subject to availability as a limited sale on a first come basis.). Any misuse of the pass will result in its immediate termination.

Usually misuse of a season pass is things like loaning it to friends to use, or the old passing the pass through the fence trick.

AW has posted the rendering on their Facebook page.  They've got hundreds of likes in the past couple of days.  I think Perth people are still getting to grips with what it is.  One even mentioned that he'd been following this thread on Parkz. People are starting to ask questions about the platinum pass.

Was in Freo this afternoon, so I popped down.  Some of the stone has been moved from the bumper boats area.  Presumably, they're building some super cool paths for the summer with it.

IMG_8365b.jpg

IMG_8362b.jpg

IMG_8364b.jpg

But I do like the fact that most of them are willing to learn.

Which is what I've been doing..  I looked at the design and thought, maybe it does look more like a sea serpent.  There are some great Australian myths about them. 

There are the Aboriginal ones like the Wagyl, the Wonambi and the Wirnpa.  The Wagyl, a rainbow serpent, is the most well known and is usually associated with the Swan River and for some reason, Lake Monger.  Bibra Lake, by the way, was originally called Walubup.  Bibra's Lake was named after Benedict von Bibra.

Whilst there are some really cool serpent stories from over east, here's my favourite from here in WA:

Perhaps the most stunning of these accounts was retold by the captain of the Perth, Mr. Angus Campbell, in 1900 in which he, his crew and passengers witnessed a possible battle between a sea serpent and a whale while en route from Geraldton to Fremantle in Western Australia.

“ … about 12 miles off land and 35 miles north of Rottnest Island, the chief officer who was on the bridge, saw the giraffe-like object upreared vertically from the surface of the ocean, and immediately he rushed to me and reported that there was some ‘unseemly monster about 100 yards away from the vessel. Eager to see what the creature was, I at once ran up to the bridge, and after waiting a couple of minutes saw the uncanny creature raise its head and body 20ft. out of the water. It would remain in that position for about a ‘minute, and then disappear.

“This pastime it indulged in most regularly for a long time. A small whale, too, occasionally made its appearance,- and appeared to be at war with the other monster. I noticed that the whale never appeared above water during the time the sea serpent was visible. They seemed to take turn about in coming above and going under the water.

“I watched their manoeuvres for fully quarter of an hour, and then went down to breakfast … As far as I could judge with the aid of my binoculars, the monster appeared to be 6ft. in breadth, with a flattish body, and the head and scales seemed to be similar to those of a snake. The head was black and small, and like that of the ordinary reptile falling away at the neck and widening at the body, which was white.

“During the time the monster’s head and body were visible it lashed the water into foam. With the temporary disappearance of the serpent the whale would come up smiling again, as it were, and ‘blow’ in rare form.”

From Weird Australia (http://weirdaustralia.com/2011/12/09/bunyips-serpents-other-creatures-lurking-beneath-our-waters/)

And who said dead men tell no tales?

sea-serpent-ship.jpeg

Posted to AW's Facebook page. The tornado 60 really looks massive from this angle.

The construction of the new ‪#‎monster‬ water slide is roaring along! The Triodetic Space Frame for the funnel of the Tornado 60 has just been completed! ‪#‎itshuge‬ ‪#‎getreadyforsummer‬11694937_10153396292089564_386466553586811250624_10153398441799564_2279106764639

and

The Dragon Flyer has been flying with young adventurers for 11 years! Kids have been creating ‪#‎magical‬ memories with this ‪#‎Awesome‬ ride as they fly on their Yarli dragon around and around and up and down! ‪#‎TBT‬‪#‎throwbackthursday‬ ‪#‎wheresya11036298_10153400619899564_8705552263687593717_n.jpg11760304_10153400619794564_1166693546935495750_n.jpg

Oh yeah and I don't know if this has been posted yet so.

Thanks everyone for their positive comments on Adventure World’s exciting announcement. We thought it might help for people to get a scale of how much bigger this slide is than other Tornados that some of you may have experienced on the Gold Coast or elsewhere by posting this render of the slide against our existing slide. 

In response to questions below about if this really is the biggest Tornado in the world we can tell you that it has the longest, steepest and tallest flume ride into the Tornado. This combined with the Tornado itself make this one the longest, tallest, steepest, in the world. Many Tornados have a short flume starting from a steel tower and the experience is quite brief. We wanted to use the natural topography to create 2 slide elements, the long run in that really builds the anticipation before the drop (mostly in the dark) which by itself would be a superb slide, and then the Tornado funnel experience and outrun section. Combine these two elements together and you have what we believe will be an awesome water slide experience for everyone to enjoy. 

- Mark Shaw, CEO

Edited by Tim Dasco

Saranac PR sent me some stuff for my Facebook page (apparently Ausparks too, judging by what they've posted). 

According to AW's Facebook page, the Platinum Season Passes go on sale mid-August.  There will be extra benefits, but they're not saying what at this stage.  The Earlybird Sale ends Oct 1 - plenty of time in which to make a decision.

• Richard changed the title to Adventure World 2015 - \'Mi2\' Tornado slide

^ They wouldn't have to do much.  

I reckon they should shoot a pre-ride video for MI-2 on the Leeuwin 2, which is our local tall ship.  One of the things I think they missed with Abyss was the themeing in the queue line before the ride.  Sure, there's a short video that goes for about a minute and a half, but there's little in the way of storytelling.  I think it'd be good to know where we are and what kind of beast would be attacking us.  

As cliched as the back story is in Typhoon Theatre in the Maritime Experiential Museum on Sentosa is, it sets the scene really well for what's about to happen in the theatre. 

Leeuwin-4.png

It might be a bit OTT to have a ride video for a water slide.

Besides, if you need to have a video, in lieu of actual tentacle theming, you're doing it wrong.

How about the clip from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 where the Kraken eats the ship & crew on continuous loop?  Videos aside, the POTC soundtrack might work well in the background.

How about the clip from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 where the Kraken eats the ship & crew on continuous loop?  Videos aside, the POTC soundtrack might work well in the background.

image.jpg

could theme that whole area right down to bounty's revenge as pirate/sea/seacreature etc- , wouldn't take much either.

the speed slides (another coat of paint and a creature at the top or the bottom in the pool)

the aqua 6 racer (another creature on the ride somewhere)

the shotgun (which kinda looks like a squid from above on near map) - (paint it? rename it)

the new slide,

the paddle boats,

the bump boats

koi pond ......... all these 3 pond areas could have some kind of signage, masts, replant, the boats themselves with some pirate flags or similar on them

Bountys revenge - already pirate themed

build something on the old castle site that fits in with the theme also ( a giant mast with flags?)

only thing is the go karts are then kind of out of place and tacked on to the side of a themed land which wouldn't make much sense.

also its a huge chunk of the park to dedicate to one theme although i think all those attractions could definitely tie in to the theme.

oh and pump this music somewhere

.......yep