Reanimated35

SFMM - Colossus to close August 16, 2014

23 posts in this topic

Pretty sure my only response to this is 'that's f*cked!!!'

Park should be friken ashamed of themselves. Piece of history right there.

After I calmed down I've learnt there is strong speculation it's actually for a rework of the ride which may get the RMC treatment.

That I'd be find with as the coaster is nothing like when it opened anyway.

World's oldest what? Woodie? No. Wooden Racer? possibly.

At 36, it comes in on RCDB's list of 'still operating woodies' halfway down page 3:

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?order=10&ot=2&nm=na&st=93&ex=1&ty=2&page=3

I was quite disheartened to hear the news the other day from TPR. The comments did suggest a reworking, rather than demolition (although colossus does occupy valuable real estate that could easily fit 2 or more other coasters if they wanted to).

I rode Colossus in 1996 and 2013, roughly 18 years apart. I must admit in 2013 she looked like she was struggling, and they were not running two trains across the structure at the same time. In whatever fashion they choose, I hope they keep the old girl around a bit longer.

Step By Step, KnightRider, A-team, a KiSS movie.... she's one of the industry's biggest stars when it comes to film and TV.... and an absolute icon.

I'm 99% confident it's not closing forever but rather being overhauled by a company like rmc. As is the rides days are numbered. Honestly though, from what I've seen anything from rmc will be awesome.

It's a shame SFMM will be losing an iconic, relitavely family friendly classic coaster but it was losing popularity and honestly wasn't anything too special after all the crappy modifications were done to it.

I'm honestly really excited to see what RMC can do with a racing coaster. Unfortunately, being at SFMM, it likely won't race too much unless it's built as a mobius loop coaster.

Edited by alex_1

High-five element anyone?

No. Just no.

Colossus is a seat divider away from being an ACE coaster classic. Apart from that - high five requires the trains to come head to head - whereas colossus is a racer.

I'll be happy if they bring back the camel humps and get rid of the block brake in that spot. I'd love to see the trains return to PTC style carriages as well.

They'll be changing a lot more than the block brake...

Naturally if it is a reprofiling of course they will.

I simply said 'i'd be happy if...' - in other words, I don't care for any gimmicks like high fives, or inversions... I just want a nice traditional woodie brought back to life.

They were running it backwards when we were there in Jan 14, same with Batman. Being a huge Kiss fan i'll be very sad if they removed it altogether.

Naturally if it is a reprofiling of course they will.

I simply said 'i'd be happy if...' - in other words, I don't care for any gimmicks like high fives, or inversions... I just want a nice traditional woodie brought back to life.

Come on, nobody hires RMC for a traditional woodie. If it were just a reprofile it wouldn't be a new attraction, it'll be a radical Iron Horse reprofile with inversions and all.

RMC coasters are fantastic so I see no cause for complaint.

Racing coasters work really well... when they're run as racing coasters.

I certainly hope they maintain the operations to consistently run two trains.

I'm impressed, and certainly a coaster of that size had to replace colossus purely based on footprint needed. I'm still disappointed they got rid of such a classic coaster to do this, but i'm excited to ride it.