Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion

rappa

^OG - I thought we were looking for old rides that draw crowds AND wow riders...?

By all accounts Scenic Railway fails on one of those counts.

Well it made me "wow" when I went there, given the fact its so old and still in operation... plus it had a manual brake attendant, which I had never seen before. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to find this interesting.... it's not like there is many of these type of coasters left in the world.

I never rode the mine ride, but having spoken to people who have, it's definitely a very unique ride to Dreamworld that people remember as a really out of control and thrilling experience, telling me that the ride "surely broke the safety rules" (which I doubt). I think if it gave the illusion that the regulations were broken, then it was doing its job well.

A ressurection would do well because everyone who went to the park when it was open remembers the ride as a classic.

This is what I think has happened.

The mine ride would cost millions to tare down, especially with the threat of asbestos making the endeavor even more expensive. The interior of the ride is used as a storage area, so does currently serve a purpose. Also, the ride closed down due to safety concerns, and reopening it would require a significant investment to actually address the issues that forced its closure. Anyone who remembered riding it (and is not blinded by nostalgia) would remember just how rough it was. Reopening it could potentially cost as much as a new ride would.

I think Dreamworld did do testing on the ride and were considering reopening it. Through testing, they obviously concluded it wasn't feasible to reopen it. There hasn't been any work or testing on the ride in several months, so I think it's safe to say, at least for the mean time, that there isn't likely to be any more work done to it. If it was reopening, we would know about it. Not only by the construction work, but because Dreamworld would hint at it, or announce it. Dreamworld sent all pass-holders an email saying 'New motor sport attraction, launching this summer', which is at least 6 months away from being open. If it was reopening this year, we would know.

Now it is Gold Rush's 30th anniversary next year. I find it difficult to believe that Dreamworld could do any sort of promotion about Gold Rush without a barrage of haters complaining about Eureka Mountain. In some ways, Eureka has become the giant elephant in the room. Now here's what I predict. I don't imagine Dreamworld would be able to do any promotions about Gold Rush without getting haters. Maybe this might force Dreamworld to act.

What they do with Eureka is anyone's guess. Here's what I'd like to see, in order of my preferences.

1. Put in the investment to reopen it

2. Tare it down

3. Board up the ride completely, so you can't see any track. Demolish the old station and build something new there. Make it seem like there never was an attraction there. Paint over all the worn off styrofoam patches.

4. Nothing (most likely)

There hasn't been any work or testing on the ride in several months, so I think it's safe to say, at least for the mean time, that there isn't likely to be any more work done to it.

The several months part is incorrect. It was only last month that someone reported testing activity with Eureka, if you go back through this thread you will see it. I also saw it being tested a few times throughout March/April.

So it has only been a matter of weeks since they stopped. In my opinion that's way too early for them, or us, to conclude anything regarding the ride's future.

^^And the lack of recent action on the coaster may be more about their urgent switch to focus on a retheme of Wiggles World to include ABC, so they've put things on hold until thats sorted... rather than the work stoppage being an 'indication' that they've decided not to follow through.

Maybe they just can't get inside the building at the moment because some Jackass forced them to board it up.

Pretty hard to move on when all these years, we'v all stuck our heads in there to have quick look, and now cause you took that privilege to far, it's been taken from us, there was actually some times when I use to look forward to haveing a sneak peak in throw that door everytime I went to dreamworld, so it's safe to say people on here are goner be pretty pissed with your actions for a while to come

just spoke to a worker at Dreamworld (I'm currently at Screamworld) about Eurkea Mine Ride. She can't say if the rumour is true or false. She said that we have to wait and see what happens in the future

Sounds like she was just saying precisely what she'd been told by management to say if guests ask any questions about any unconfirmed future plans (nothing)!

As much as I would like to see this  reopen, I'm very much doubting it will, especially in 2015. It's almost June, I think it would need a good few months of work to get it reopened. They need new carts, a redesigned station, interior and exterior patchwork, probably a whole lot of new track, new theming, a completely overhauled ride system, modern safety regulations, smoke and fire alarms, significant testing.....

Not to mention council approval for all this (has anyone seen the application? No).

It's not as easy as flicking the switch and it all coming back to life. 

Tearing it down would probably be just as costly as bringing it back to life. So it just sits there, for another 10 years no doubt. 

Yeah, you've said your piece on that - you don't need to keep repeating it. Fact of the matter is if it's going to cost as much to tear down as it is to reinstate it - theres no reason to tear it down.

In my opinion - I think the planned attractions for this year will take a priority, but unless they've deemed it financially unviable, I'm still comfortable it's still on the cards.

I don't think any of us here ever believed Eureka would open in 2015. I think it's safe to say such an early timeframe would be a pretty unrealistic expectation for a project of this magnitude. It would take months alone to clear all the red tape for a ride which has been boarded up for nearly a decade.

Next year perhaps, maybe even just announcement about it, given it will be the 30th Anniversary of Gold Rush Country and an ideal opportunity for the park to take advantage of. 

Edited by OceanGirl

The exit door is not boarded up anymore has a new top half. Interesting...

DSC00047.JPG

Ummm.... is it just me here who thinks this is a lot of trouble for DW to go to for a defunct/SBNO ride? I mean they had it patched up already... now they have made a brand new matching part for the door. They have obviously put money, effort & time into making it look nice ? 

I have to admit that this move on DW's part has made me a little excited ?

Edited by OceanGirl

• Richard changed the title to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride reopening discussion