Speculation and media beat ups - Thunder River Rapids incident

Reanimated35

Sorry did I miss something? Where was it confirmed to be demolished?

I know the Australian article said 'the ride is set to be demolished' but i saw no factual basis for that comment - there was no quote or citation... someone enlighten me to somewhere where Craig has said that, or similar?

Hopefully DW doesn't pull a Eureka with TRRR and demolish it immediately and give it a replacement sometime in the future, since it wouldn't look good having two abandoned rides in one area. Perhaps they might install a genuine article Rapids ride from Intamin to replace it, with a different Gold Rush-style theme to differentiate it from the old one, or a watercoaster if they needed to go with something totally new to differentiate from the old ride. Granted, TRRR was a very popular and loved ride at closing and DW is now missing a good family ride (cough cough Rocky Hollow) that has a water element (ignoring WWW). Perhaps DW might scrap the Gold Rush theme altogether and give a new theme for the area?

I doubt DW would build either option since they've invested so much cap on re-doing Ocean Parade, the Motorsports Area and the Lego store, but it'd be a great idea to build one. 

Although, I have no idea if this could happen. This is only idle speculation.

Please correct me if this should be in the other thread, but I think this is the thread to post it on.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX
This the right thread?

5 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Regardless of how different they may be, I doubt Dreamworld would replace TRRR with an Intamin version. Despite the differences, the public would not view it any differently.

I think the watercoaster would be more likely. DW will be on very thin ice for the next year with the media, however.

I would hope they do replace it with something, although I agree an Intamin rapids ride may be pushing their already damaged media image a bit.

However, the ride leaves a major scar in that area. It and the BuzzSaw were the only things keeping our hopes up for the maintenance of Gold Rush, not to mention how it was incorporated into the landscape, almost being a natural landmark in itself rather than a standout ride structure (I'm talking about the ride course/channel in case I'm not being clear enough).

I'm hoping for something family-friendly if they do replace it, so I'd say a flume/water coaster would be good.

16 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

I would hope they do replace it with something, although I agree an Intamin rapids ride may be pushing their already damaged media image a bit.

However, the ride leaves a major scar in that area. It and the BuzzSaw were the only things keeping our hopes up for the maintenance of Gold Rush, not to mention how it was incorporated into the landscape, almost being a natural landmark in itself rather than a standout ride structure (I'm talking about the ride course/channel in case I'm not being clear enough).

I'm hoping for something family-friendly if they do replace it, so I'd say a flume/water coaster would be good.

But isn't Rocky Hollow already a flume? As much as a family ride is needed, DW are hardly going to build two Flume rides within walking distance of each other.

53 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

@Jessicajealousy You're probably right there. I just meant flume as an example. I'd like a family ride, and if possible a water ride, but that's if they ever replace it at all.

I guess it's probably been said - but its such a big area not to replace, and you already have the Buzzsaw there - so eventually they will have to do something, or the Buzzsaw will stick out like a sore thumb.

A family ride is exactly what they need - and something just as family thrilling as TRR was.

I personally think closing it was an absolutely stupid decision. This was a tragic accident. People died. That doesn't mean the ride should be removed. People have died on plenty of other rides that are still ridden by thousands of people each day. 

As much as I want to go back to Dreamworld to support them, decisions like this removal of yet another classic ride from the park are making it extremely hard to justify the cost of going back. 

Their management had really better start looking at some big draw card attractions, and fast. The park is just kind of..."meh" at the moment, even without the rapids incident. 

Whilst I agree that plenty of rides overseas have had accidents causing serious injuries & deaths, and remained open, there is no precedent for it in Australia. The ghost train fire took care of that ride, so the re-opening question never raised its head. Our media & the general public are much more sensitive to what's occurred than what would happen in the say, the USA, where they are basically desensitised due to the amount of violence & death that occurs weekly. 

Im sad its closing, but I have to say I agree with the decision. Removing nostalgia and history from the conversation, which you have to, I support it. 

I think with the ride still operating, the general public wouldn't, or would take decidedly longer to, trust the park again. From a PR perspective, it was the only option, and right now DW/Ardent needs to reassure its shareholders that the chapter is closed before more value is stripped from the company. 

Agree with you @Brad2912 but I do feel that Dreamworld need to move on quickly with plans to demolish, set up a memorial for the victims and then renew the area with a new attraction as quickly as possible. The park has to be seen to be putting this terrible tragedy behind them and they need to show to the public a renewed faith not only in the existing rides/attractions but the overall park itself. A new attraction rising out of the ashes from the old, to show to the public that Dreamworld is still a viable ongoing concern and a valuable commodity in the company's portfolio. Whilst they are there,its the perfect opportunity to just bite the bullet and remove Eureka from the landscape as well. It will never reopen again now in the wake of the TRRR accident and these 2 rides are indelibly linked. Removing both now will provide far greater scope to install 2 new attractions and renew this area of the park. Having this area significantly renewed will be the only positive to come out of this whole tragic circumstance.

Edited by Jobe

3 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I've seen several articles, citing park spokespersons saying it will - do you have a source?

Media conference stated the ride would be "decommissioned" and not removed at this point. No word if any of it may form part of the memorial at a later time. 

Edited by reanimated35

Agree @Jobe

once the safety/audit requirements are fulfilled, they need to swiftly decide what will happen with that area and move quickly to make it happen. The empty channel snaking through the area will serve as a scar & reminder. Now the decision has been made to de-commission, the removal/demolition/in fill must be fairly quick imo..

Also, as for part of the ride being used as a memorial (a journo asked that at the presser), I honestly think that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.. they gonna put plaques on the side of a decommissioned boat or the queue house? Ridiculous idea, but hey, what do I know?  

2 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

I personally think closing it was an absolutely stupid decision.

Whilst I think the reasoning is fine, I think the timing of the announcement wasn't the best in my opinion. I would've preferred finding out the fate of the ride after the investigation released it's findings so if the ride was unsustainable to operate, then fair enough - demolish it & if they closed it out of respect, then it is understandable but having the announcement this early makes me think they are also giving in to the media especially since Ardent Leisure not DW made the announcement - Ardent Leisure really copped it from the media with the way they handled the tragedy after all. They might be trying to avoid more media coverage to soften any negative financial effects.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

They're not closing it "out of respect" at all. It's a business decision to try to save face with the public. 

As much as I hate the decision, look at your options really.

> Ride reopens - media chastise the park for not honouring the deceased. Park is criticised for pretending it never happened.  - Overall BAD PR. 

> Ride remains SBNO - media berate them for leaving an "open wound" at the park. Public complain there's no reason to visit that end of the park now. Enthusiasts finally have a new SBNO ride to move on to after Eureka. - Overall MODERATE PR impact.

> Ride is filled in too soon - media & public claim they're trying to forget it ever happened and cover any trace of it existing. - Overall BAD PR.

> Ride is completely removed - media & public complain none of the ride was kept as a memorial, but at the same time say none of it should be kept as a reminder of what happened. - Overall BAD PR.

> Part of the ride is kept as a memorial - media & public complain they've kept a reminder of what happened. (you'll never please everyone) - Overall MODERATE PR impact. 

> Some other scenario I haven't thought of - UNKNOWN PR impact.

So really there's no winning this, regardless of what they do or don't do. 

<Remove the ride completely, build a poignant, respectful memorial of the tragedy that occurred, reinvest in the area with 2 new attractions after the removal of both Eureka and TRRR. Impact- there is a respectful reminder and memoriam of the terrible incident . There is a new lease of life for an area that is in need of revitalisation , turning the horror of the accident into a positive experience for the majority of the public. The park DOES need to move on- Overall positive impact ( as long as the memorial is done with dignity and respect) I think this is the best scenario for Dreamworld , moving forward. It allays the public fears, the victims families and the average punter's belief in the park. It should  inspire faith in Dreamworld as an entity, from a shareholder and public point of view.

1 minute ago, Jobe said:

<Remove the ride completely, build a poignant, respectful memorial of the tragedy that occurred, reinvest in the area with 2 new attractions after the removal of both Eureka and TRRR. Impact- there is a respectful reminder and memoriam of the terrible incident . There is a new lease of life for an area that is in need of revitalisation , turning the horror of the accident into a positive experience for the majority of the public. The park DOES need to move on- Overall positive impact ( as long as the memorial is done with dignity and respect) I think this is the best scenario for Dreamworld , moving forward. It allays the public fears, the victims families and the average punter's belief in the park. It should  inspire faith in Dreamworld as an entity, from a shareholder and public point of view.

That's true, and should happen, but they're likely going to be looking at it with the short time in mind for now. Moving on this quickly, or announcing plans to do so, isn't going to be a short term win for them. 

IMO, an announcement should be made a few months after the park has reopened that there will be a new ride or two, and I mean decent ones, not space fillers, by 2019. 

Memorial done by October 2017 and open it on the anniversary, or just beforehand. This gives them enough time to consult with everyone and build something decent so it's not seen as a half assed attempt.

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

but having the announcement this early makes me think they are also giving in to the media especially since Ardent Leisure not DW made the announcement - Ardent Leisure really copped it from the media with the way they handled the tragedy after all. They might be trying to avoid more media coverage to soften any negative financial effects.

Dreamworld wrote the statement, Ardent published it.
Ardent have public shareholders to answer too, Shareholders hate uncertainty so Ardent have to make statements about the situation. For the most part they've just been releasing Dreamworlds Media statements to them.

Either way, the media are going to give it a negative twist no matter what Dreamworld do. Making any decisions based on Media reaction would be silly. They've never done it before to my knowledge, why start now?

Im gonna miss it for sure, But it's really the right decision imo.

On the positive side, perhaps we will finally get that Gold Rush refresh in the next few years. Im always keen for new rides :)

Edited by diesal11