Tower of Terror 2 - Slow Launch

Aimsley81

On the topic of 'e-stop' I remember the very first time I rode The Tower of Terror it went past the station, I didn't even know it wasn't supposed to do that until I heard murmurs from other riders and then having the carriage slowly brought back to the station by ride operators, quite the experience! As much as I hate to say it as it is now Terror of Terror 2 is a pale shadow of what was once a great (very good?) ride, and not just because of the reduced launch speed.

I just went to DreamWorld yesterday, and the whether was just terrible. They closed The Rip early because there was a water spout. But my main point here, is that, the Tower of Terror once again, had a slow launch, although this time, it didn't even make it out of the tunnel. @Rollercoaster_Lover must have been delusional when he thought that the line for Tower of Terror was 2 hours. EVERYTHING was a walk on for both days that I visited. 

6 hours ago, wileecoyote said:

I just went to DreamWorld yesterday, and the whether was just terrible. They closed The Rip early because there was a water spout. But my main point here, is that, the Tower of Terror once again, had a slow launch, although this time, it didn't even make it out of the tunnel. @Rollercoaster_Lover must have been delusional when he thought that the line for Tower of Terror was 2 hours. EVERYTHING was a walk on for both days that I visited. 

Holy crap are you still going on about that? When I Visited it wa Southside the que so just because it wasn't busy ( probably because it was horrible weather ) Dosent mean I'm lying, Jesus Christ I'm sick of people holding stuff against other people it's tiring 

On 17/03/2017 at 11:57 AM, Santa07 said:

I've heard a lot of stories about why ToT doesn't launch at full speed - eg to save power, to make it more appealing to less-adventurous audiences, etc. I've also heard the one about it having too high forces, but I'm nearly certain that's definitely not the reason.

Does this mean the TOT2 no longer travels as high up on the tower? I certainly remember it going up a lot higher 10 years ago. I assumed it was because of wear and tear.

9 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Well obviously... a ride that's meant to go 100 metres up a 120m tower doesn't go half-way up and then come back down.

Thanks, I had no idea how high up it was meant to go. 

Is there any video floating about of TOT going 100m up the tower as it previous incarnation or otherwise?

4 minutes ago, willco said:

Thanks, I had no idea how high up it was meant to go. 

Is there any video floating about of TOT going 100m up the tower as it previous incarnation or otherwise?

I think the original ToT went up the full way

I don't know if this video is as high as it can go, but it's certainly higher than it goes today:

10 minutes ago, Aimsley81 said:

One of my few Dreamworld regrets - not experiencing the original TOT :(

^Same

I remember going on a school trip when I was much younger and had the option to experience it - but since was a lot younger then I preferred to marathon Runaway Reptar and TRRR :P (I still remember how wet my socks were after that day!)

Last time I went to Dreamworld and rode ToT was back when it was just Tower of Terror. And to my understanding the launch speed decreased when it was converted to ToTII due to the larger amount of strain put on the riders when flung backwards. As of now I guess we may be seeing the signs of an old ride

Well guys, I'm here at Dreamworld right now and TOT 2 did it again. I wasn't on it this time - I was actually walking past to go on GD. I missed videoing the 'launch' but got some footage of the car rolling back out and sitting right at the tunnel opening. :)

Then I have 2 rides on GD and walk back past and the car is sitting there again at the same spot - empty this time. :huh:

Edited by Aimsley81
Update

3 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Probably got everyone off the car - then tried testing it but got the same problem.

Or an evac happened - but that's probably rarer

Well I watched them winch the car back in with the passengers on so I don't think they did an evac. Just the same thing happened on a test run?? Sorry, I should've given more info in my previous post. 

11 hours ago, GC Theme Parks said:

I think the Tower of Terror is on its last legs at the state it's in. It often breaks down and numerous problems leave it closed a fair bit. I think that Dreamworld need to look at upgrading the TOT or replacing it with something. That's just my personal opinion. 

Just because a ride breaks down a lot, doesn't mean it's on its last legs.

Brand-new intamin accelerators often break down a heap, try to argue that they're on their last legs!

It would be a terrible move by Dreamworld to remove their flagship attraction, that's probably the stupidest idea I've heard all week.

I went on it twice on Saturday and it did feel it's age.

It didn't seem to accelerate the way it used to, unless I'm just used to it, and it bunny hops pretty bad coming into the station (although the second time was better).

It's way to bog an attraction to simply get rid of.

If a system upgrade is necessary, I'd like them to do the following:

• Allow the ride to run at full speed
  • If possible (space and budget-wise), add a second car and a rotating station (similar to pulsar at Walibi) to effectively double capacity (of course some station reconfiguration would be required, and the building may have to be modified to allow the space for this). This probably isn't that realistic and would require a major revamp of the entire system, but increased capacity would work wonders for the ride.
  • Reconfigure the queue, possibly update some of the theming (give the ride a proper storyline!), even add a third single rider queue if possible